Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Meet Beau our new pack member

Stewart
September 21st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Hi all :)Some of you may remember Gypsey our female GSD.Well she is 9 and a half now and still a great pup although the old age complaint of Arthritis is setting in so we treat her with fish oils glucosamine and cod liver oil as well as sardines and its helping her cope.We,My wife and I thought that it would be good to add to our home and pack another dog and we have been considering this for some months now.Well about four weeks ago we were at a local village day where our local branch of The National Animal Welfare Trust had a display stand and pictures of various animals up for Re Homing.We spotted this handsome 2yrs old Male GSD named Beau.We went home and discussed this for the next week and then rang them to see if he was still there,And he was.So after going over to meet him,We had to wait a week,Thier practice to cool off and then we could take our dog Gypsey over to meet him.It all went well,He did try to mount her and was put in his place.A second visit to introduce a week later and this time he tried to rest his head on the back of her neck to which one deep growl from her told him no way Buster.After that there was no more of his trying to dominate so it was a case of them bringing him to our home to see how they got on in her home,well no problem at all as she is a very tollerent girl.So we got to go get him last Saturday 19th Sept.It is still early days but going great.No problems at all very quiet nights no destruction and no rivalry between them.We took him and her of course to our laocal Rugby Club on the first afternoon as its a good walk from our home and its our usual pastime now the season is on again,And they got on great just look at the pics :thumbs up

chico2
September 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Stewart,Beau is a beauty as is of course Gypsey,I am sure they'll get along great,as long as Beau learns Gypsey rules the house:laughing:
Now we need a pic of Beemer;)
Welcome back:grouphug:

ancientgirl
September 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM
Congratulations on the new addition. They are both just beautiful.

pbpatti
September 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM
They make a beautiful couple. So glad to hear they are getting along with no rivalry. Congrats on the newest addition to your pack.

Bailey_
September 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM
Gorgeous!! :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
September 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
They look quite content in each other's company! Beautiful dogs, Stewart! :flirt:

Stewart
September 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Thank's all for the kind words:)Its early day's for us, Now into our 3rd but still good.He is a bit on the thin side as he was getting stressed in the kennels but now he is in our quiet peacfull home he is chilling out fine and we have to feed him 4 times a day,The rescue centres advice as his wieght went down to 34kg's at its lowest and we wieghed him when we got him home and he was 36Kg's so hopefully he is on the way up!He pulls on the leash like a plough horse always wanting to be out in front but I have noticed today its getting lighter to hold him back so I think we may be going in the right direction;)He is also manic with a ball he will bring it back over and over again which is fine but he goes into a trance and you cant get through to him so we only do a little game with a ball say 10 mins a day.When the ball is put away you get through to him he makes eye contact and listens far more.As for our cat Beemer poor soul this excited young man tries to charge to him and Beemer while not being unused to a large dog has done what some cats do and stayed out.Our son who lives with us does go out and get him in and takes him up to his room for some sanctuary and I know after time with dog on leash and looking at each other they will be fine as been there done that before but it still gets to you a little ;)

Take Care all I will keep you all posted on our progress:thumbs up

chico2
September 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Awww poor Beemer,hopefully Beau will learn to leave him alone:cat::fingerscr

Stewart
September 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Just a quick update.This afternoon we brought Beemer the cat into the house and I had Beau on a leash,My son sat with the cat on his lap and I sat within 4feet of him holding the dog on a short but not tight leash so they could get used to one another.After 5 mins the cat settled and just lay on his lap without being held onto and the dog lay down from the sitting position he had been in.We sat like this for half an hour just chatting then the cat got down from his lap a little wary but not in fit and trotted past the dog over to closed door so we went over with dog and opend the door for the cat to go out.He did so with alittle trott but not a mad dash.So I think given time and patience this will work out between them just getting longer and longer times watching each other:thumbs up

chico2
September 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Stewart,sounds good to me:thumbs up
I know my three cats would be climbing the walls if I ever brought in a large dog:laughing:

Stewart
October 17th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Well it's just over 3 weeks now since Beau joined us and all is going well:) He has been off leash and comes back when recalled.Never takeing his eyes off us when running about.Loves to fetch balls and brings them straight back and drop at your feet for you to throw again and again.He will also sit or lie down and shake paw so We think this boy has had the benefit of some training.He still pulls a little when first going out but after a session of fetch or with the help of a Halti he then walks well.The walking on leash is comming together well.He still wants to see cats when they are in sight but has walked on by if the cat sits still and dosent scoot.As for our cat Beemer he is still finding Beau a bit scary as the other evening my wife went out front to bring him in and Beau who was watching walked up to her to see (not charged) but poor old Beemer took fright and struggled to get free and in the struggle caught my wifes face to the side of her eye and just in the hairline causing a little bit of blood :eek:Thankfully he missed her eye:thumbs up She dropped him and he raced off up the stairs and into our bedroom and Beau followed him up the stairs but stopped short on the landing and came back down when called and didnt follow on into the bedroom.It is going to be a little bit of a job to overcome this with Beemer as before when we first got Gypsey we had a older cat Sparky who was very confident and he showed him how to adapt to dogs.We will not give up on this and we will get to a happier conclusion I am sure.My wife wasnt put off by this incident as she is very used to cats dogs having had pets all her life.Shes had lots of cats and her father bred GSD's when she was young.We are in for the long haul here;) Hope your all well,Will keep you posted on our progress :thumbs up

Ryan48
October 31st, 2009, 11:15 AM
Both are absolutely beautiful.

RM