Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Did the vet make a blunder?

CearaQC
September 18th, 2009, 11:17 PM
The white kitty I found, Jasper, was neutered last week.

And curious me has been checking his incisions to make sure everything is OK. And of course he's a quick healer and didn't seem to act as if he had surgery at all and went right back to terrorizing the dogs and my other cat, Linx.

But I'm worried the vet made a blunder and only took out one testicle. I can still feel something pea size in there, which is the same size the testicles were before he went in for his neuter surgery. Yes I'm weird and checked him myself before he had surgery so I could mentally compare the results for after the surgery. One side has nothing, and the other still feels like something is in there, although overall the scrotum appears much smaller. And there were two incisions, so that side was definitely open during surgery at some point.

Am I wrong? Could it be something else? Or was there a surgical blunder?

14+kitties
September 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Probably just a stitch that hasn't disappeared yet. I have felt the same thing. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
September 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM
It could be swelling. The area is very vascular and you can get seepage of serum into the scrotum. It's not too uncommon in dogs--I suspect it's possible for kitties, too. :shrug:

CearaQC
September 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Well if I feel around it gently, it's attached to something cord-like and not something just floating around in the scrotum. :shrug: And his scrotum is kind of lop sided now.

I emailed the SPCA lady that dealt with Jasper's care at the vet and will see what she says.

Love4himies
September 19th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Yes, it is possible. Any idea if that testicle may not have fallen so the vet could only remove one at that time and it has since fallen? Your vet should be able to tell you, though. He may have left a small piece in which may produce testosterone.

After 6 weeks you can have his bloodwork taken to be tested for hormone levels.

CearaQC
September 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

He's not spraying any more though. Thank goodness!

Love4himies
September 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM
My vet thinks Jasper still has a bit of his testicles. Jasper is very much a male cat who is very territorial outside against other males and, ummmmm, tries to "love" his girls regularly :o The problem, of course, with a male cat who produces testosterone is that he may spray inside the house. I do find letting him outside daily gives him a chance to spray his "territory" outside on the bushes and leaves my leather couches alone :D.