Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When it rains it pours!!!

beckiandthetrio
September 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hi All--

I feel like Ive been having never ending problems with my kitties!! Last week Panda was impacted with stool and had to get enema's, he's doing better thank god but now my littlest kitty Janie is having issues.

She looked like she was losing some weight in the last week or so but she was still drinking, going to the bathroom but not really eating. I took her in this am to the vet's and they couldnt find anything physically wrong with her but because she has gone from 8lbs to 6lbs they did some lab work which I will get the results for tomorrow and sent her home on an appetite stimulator. Ive been trying different foods including fancy feast and such but nothing seems to peek her interest. Sometimes she will take a couple of bites but then put her head up and leave.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to do and what kind of foods i should try?? Any idea how long the pills take to work either??

Thanks,

Becki

sugarcatmom
September 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. What's the name of the appetite stimulant that they gave you? If cyproheptadine, it usually takes effect about half an hour after administration, although sometimes not until the second dose is given (12 hrs later).

Try some plain chicken baby food to tempt her to eat, or low sodium canned salmon or sardines packed in water, if she likes fish. Cheese, deli meat, yogurt, cat treats, whatever it takes. Good luck!

beckiandthetrio
September 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the advice sugarcatmom. Yes it is that med you mentioned. She has only gotten one dose so far and i will give her another one tonight. I will pick up some baby food to see if that seems to interest her.

Becki

Macomom
September 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Just out of curiousity, why do cats stop eating sometimes? It seems to be a common thread on this forum. It seems both dangerous and unpredictable.
Cheers and thanks.

sugarcatmom
September 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Just out of curiousity, why do cats stop eating sometimes?

Appetite is one of the first things to go, and sometimes the only noticeable sign, when a cat isn't feeling well. Occasionally it may be due to finickiness (something smells different about their food, or they're bored of the same thing, or who knows what), but whenever a cat stops eating, it definitely requires attention. One of the reasons I'm strongly against the bottomless-bowl-of-dry method of feeding is because it's difficult to notice when a cat goes off its food, especially in multi-cat households.