Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vick donates to animal shelters...sort of.

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Oh yeah, I hope LOTS OF DONATIONS are made. :evil:

I LOVE Pennsylvania's Main Line Animal Rescue (MLAR) Read on!

~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael Vick Donates to Animal Rescue (Sort Of)

Outraged that Michael Vick, who served 18 months in prison for funding dogfights, was signed on to the Philadelphia Eagles? You now have more than one reason to cheer when the quarterback gets sacked this season.

Pennsylvania's Main Line Animal Rescue (MLAR) placed an ad in the Washington Post pledging that each time the Eagles' new quarterback is tackled during the Oct. 26 away game against the Redskins, five bags of dog food will be donated to a D.C. animal shelter.

In signing Vick, the Eagles have said they believe he deserves a second chance. Bill Smith, founder and CEO of MLAR tells Paw Nation, "Maybe it's about time that the million pit bulls euthanized every year got their second chance."

"The Eagles have made their choice; he's here, and there's nothing we can do about that," Smith continues. "The best way we can handle it is to start this campaign where we can raise public awareness about the plight of these animals."

Smith explains an equally problematic side effect of the illegal sport: dogs born in each litter who end up not used for fighting get dumped into already overpopulated city shelters. "Over a million pit bulls and pit mixes are euthanized every year." And because of people like Vick, who exploit and mistreat these dogs, pit bulls get a bad rap. "Pit bulls are incredibly sweet dogs. There's a saying, 'Judge the deed, not the breed.' They are very smart, a great size, low-shedding -- they make great pets. You just need the right kind of person [to adopt them]."

Smith says that MLAR is reaching out to dog food companies to donate pallets of food to participating shelters across the country. "We thought it would be funny, and we wanted to get a lot of attention." He added that the campaign really is about using Michael Vick's name to "do something positive."

We support anything that provides food for animals in need -- not to mention getting back at a bully! -- which makes the Oct. 26th game one even a pacifist, non-football fan can root for.

pbpatti
September 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
AG thanks for posting this, I for one will be cheering for "Sack the Quarterback" on every play. Go get m boys.

BenMax
September 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
AG thanks for posting this, I for one will be cheering for "Sack the Quarterback" on every play. Go get m boys.

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I agree!:thumbs up

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Isn't that great? That's the best bounty ever!

SIL
September 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for posting this AG. I hope the game is on TV so we can all cheer the Redskins on :thumbs up :laughing::laughing::laughing:

14+kitties
September 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Too bad they didn't do it for the whole bloody season! Let's hope someone from the opposing team reads this and acts upon it by passing the word. :fingerscr

BenMax
September 17th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Everytime I read his name I want to kick him another orifice. Hope a bigger animal loving player does just that! I think that would merit a years supply to a needy shelter.

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I'm hoping players from other teams will take up the challenge through the season!

Melinda
September 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
people should chant and hold up signs, "sack the worthless a$$ quarterback* ok ok....leave out worthless a$$

BenMax
September 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
people should chant and hold up signs, "sack the worthless a$$ quarterback* ok ok....leave out worthless a$$

:laughing::laughing::laughing: - Na leave it in Melinda!:laughing:

chico2
September 17th, 2009, 04:14 PM
A-G,thank's what a great idea:thumbs up
I was kind of worried Vicks evil deeds would be forgotten and his tortured animals too,but this is good.
I do not like foot-ball period,now even less,I wonder how other players feel,I hope they kick Vick in the jock-strap,trip him,tackle him etc...being the coward he is,maybe he'll just disappear:pray:

badabing
September 20th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I feel badly for the animal lovers who have rooted for the Philadelphia Eagles for years. What a dilemma to be in. All of a sudden a s.o.b. like Michael Vick is dropped in their laps. What do they do when he scores? Are they supposed to cheer or not cheer? Stay silent? That might be a plan. Cheer for all the other players who score and remain totally silent when he scores. That will send him a message that they will never forget his evil deeds. I just can't understand what the Eagles were thinking of when they signed him on. Why would they want to be associated with someone so notorious? Also, animal lovers are actively boycotting NFL sponsors. (I really miss drinking Coca Cola amongst other products). Is he really worth all this trouble? Why didn't they just draft another player for their team? Unfortunately, people who play sports for a living seem to be in the same league with politicians and used car dealers. Back in the day we used to look upon the players as heroes. Someone to look up to. Then O.J. came along and Michael Vick, etc. God help us and the animals and abused women everywhere.