Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about cat claw growth

Tundra_Queen
September 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Hi

I have been wondering what feral cats do to keep their claws at the right length and why our pet cats need to have them trimmed. Or do feral cats have long claws because they have no one to trim them?

I know it's just one of the many strange things I think about late at night and I can't sleep. :laughing:

Debbie

sugarcatmom
September 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
They have very sharp claws, that's for sure! The length is fairly self-limiting though. One of the reasons cats scratch on stuff is to remove the old claw sheath, exposing an even sharper claw underneath. For the back feet, they chew the sheath off when it's ready to go.

Forgot to mention, it's not actually the cats that need their claws trimmed, it's US. They do just fine without it, but our furniture, clothing and flesh likely wouldn't.

14+kitties
September 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I'll tell you what my ferals use. Trees. Lots and lots of trees.....
They love using logs, branches, trunks, whatever they can get to. They keep their claws nice and sharp. :eek: When I want them shorter for my sake I spend an hour or so corraling and snipping. :thumbs up

Love4himies
September 17th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Puddles has to have her claws clipped because they will grow into her pads. She scratches at the scratching posts and trees outside so I don't know why she has such a problem :shrug:. She needs her claws clipped at least every two months.

She also has high blood calcium so I have always wondered if there was some relation :shrug:.

Love4himies
September 17th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I'll tell you what my ferals use. Trees. Lots and lots of trees.....
They love using logs, branches, trunks, whatever they can get to. They keep their claws nice and sharp. :eek: When I want them shorter for my sake I spend an hour or so corraling and snipping. :thumbs up

Can you come do Rose for me, please :pray::D

Tundra_Queen
September 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
thanks everyone...so the feral's claw are long and sharp?

I was wondering if they broke off, cause o'shawnnessey's back claw broke off and bled cause they got too long. Poor kitty.

Debbie

SpookyCat
September 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Puddles - what a cute kitty name!!!
Well I am not sure about feral cats but I just wanted to add that I have had cats all my life, lots of cats, all indoor, and I have noticed that the smaller cats have much sharper nails that grow a lot faster than the bigger cats. You would think it would be the other way around.