Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! kitty eating food not for him!

lilycat
September 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hello to everyone, i have 2 cats, one is 8 the other 5 months, so my question is...

Does any one have any idea on how to make a 5 month old kitty stop eating my 8 year old cats food for adults?

I have them separate plates, in one there is the adult dry food, and on the other the kittens food, but my 5 month old kitten ~his name is harry potter btw ;)~ always goes and eats the adult food and doesn't like the kitty's food!

i don't want to have them locked in separate rooms just so they wont eat the others food, and i often leave a lot of food on their plates because i am gone for most part of the day!

any ideas will be appreciated! :cat:

thanks!...Lily.

Love4himies
September 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hmmmm, my only recommendation is to get your adult and kitten on the same QUALITY canned food, like Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct, Evo, etc. Then you don't have to worry about eating each other's food. ;)

sugarcatmom
September 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Totally agree with L4H, both your cats can and should eat the same thing, which is quality protein, low carb WET food. www.catinfo.org
Feeding different foods to cats based on age is purely a marketing gimmick.

Jim Hall
September 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM
yup metoo

welcome to the borad by the way got anypics to share?

lUvMyLaB<3
September 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Is there a reason they are on different food? What are you feeding them? Is it that you buy kitten food for the kitten? Don't worry like the above experts said, that is not necessary.. Innova evo makes a canned food that is called evo cat and kitten, but the kittens will do great on a really good canned food. You do not want to buy kibble, through just amazing marketing some how these companies have convinced people that kibble is the best thing to feed pets, there were lots of healthy pets before it was ever made, it is for convinience for the humans and that is it, that is why it is made, not because it is better for the pets. Good grain free canned food is the best gift that you can give them. Good luck!!

so..... did you say you have some pics?? There are a few people here, just a few, don't remember their names, but they are kinda persistant about pics... hee hee

lilycat
September 17th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Wow, thanks a lot for the quick response ti everyone!...

first of all, i was feeding them different food bcz my older cat is overweight so i fed her hill's science diet for lazy obese cats, and to my younger cat (named harry potter bcz of a cool mark he has beside his eye) i fed hill's science food for normal kitty, now, i did NOT knew about this other food you guys are telling me, so i think giving them the same good quality food would have worked but everything has just changed...

Because today i spent most of the day with the vet, i took my older cat (mena) in with the vet bcz since a few days ago i noticed that she was loosing weight, she was not eating or drinking at all, she was lethargic and depressive, and very weak and the back legs, so they examined her, and took a blood test, also bcz she was dehydrated the vet put an iv, turns out she has a liver disease... OMG i am very depressed and feel guilty to tell ya the truth, now i have to inject her over the course of 5 days and if she doesn't improve im gonna take her back to see what else can be done...

and the vet told me she had to be on special diet with special food for liver sickness ....:cry:

so i thank you very much, and i hope for the best,

i hope this NEVER happens to any of your precious animals... :sad:

Jim Hall
September 17th, 2009, 10:59 PM
i am sorry dirst please do not feel guilty what are you to think? i bet the vet rcommended the food Now u know where to educate your self and belive me it will be a revelation .I am sure that you will find a lot of incredibly good info on here. WISHING YOU THE BEST OF LUCK

sugarcatmom
September 17th, 2009, 11:22 PM
turns out she has a liver disease...

Did they specify what type? Was hepatic lipidosis (aka fatty liver) mentioned?

now i have to inject her over the course of 5 days and if she doesn't improve im gonna take her back to see what else can be done...

Inject her with what? Did they give you instructions on how to force-feed her, like with a syringe? Is she on any medication?

and the vet told me she had to be on special diet with special food for liver sickness

What's it called?

The most important thing is that she get some food in her. If it is something as serious as fatty liver, nutritional support using a high protein diet is crucial for recovery. But recovery is possible! I have to warn you though, depending on how sick she is, syringe feeding may not be enough. Many times it's necessary to put in a feeding tube. This helps minimize stress to both you and the cat, and ensures an adequate intake of calories. You can read more about feeding tubes here: http://www.catinfo.org/feedingtubes.htm

And some info on fatty liver: http://maxshouse.com/Feline_Hepatic_Lipidosis.htm

If she does indeed have fatty liver, I wouldn't be waiting the 5 days to see if she recovers. She needs aggressive ongoing medical intervention now.

Let us know how Mena does, and my fingers are crossed that she pulls through. :fingerscr

lilycat
September 18th, 2009, 03:26 AM
To: Jim Hall, thank you for your wishes, and yes i am learning a lot, thanks to all of you for all of your amazing info and tips...

To: sugarcatmom:

"Did they specify what type? Was hepatic lipidosis (aka fatty liver) mentioned?"

well, the vet did not tell me specifically what tipe, he only told me that the problem, according to the blood test, was the liver.

"Inject her with what? Did they give you instructions on how to force-feed her, like with a syringe? Is she on any medication?"

He told me that the injections are antibiotics and he also gave her a shot of vitamins...? they did gave me instructions on how to inject her, but not on how to force feed her, wich worries me bcz she doesn't want to eat AT ALL. she was not on medication before this happened, now she is obviously, with the injections.

Originally Posted by lilycat
and the vet told me she had to be on special diet with special food for liver sickness
"What's it called?"

I do not know the name of the brand, i was so worried with my cat that the nurse told me and i actually forgot... they are going to order it for me, so i will go tomorrow and check all that out, although i think that it is a good idea to start feeding her with a tube like you said, bcz she seriously does not want to eat...

if by tomorrow i do not see any changes, i will take her first hour to the vet before it is too late...:cry:

thank you very much for the links, they will help me a lot!...

and thank you ~of course~ for your beautiful good wishes, i do need all the luck i need right now, and you guys are sending me and my cat the best vibes, i do appreciate! :cat:

so, i hope a miracle happens so my baby can get well, even if not 100% i'll be happy if she just stays for a little while longer :angel:

i wish the best for you guys and your precious pets!

sincerely,
Lilycat :cat:

Love4himies
September 18th, 2009, 07:59 AM
lilycat:

First, I would like to offer you a :grouphug: and some :goodvibes: for your kitty. It is so scary to have a sick kitty.

Second, Sugarcatmom and growler are two kitty health experts who I would trust 110%, even over my vet. Like sugarcatmom stated, getting adequate, quality food into your kitty is priority. I would not wait 5 days if she doesn't eat.

Please keep us updated.

lilycat
September 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
To: Love4himies, thank you very very much i really need it...it is soo scary to have a sick kitty...

i have had no luck whatsoever,... my cat just WONT EAT, i have tried to give her chicken, fish, wet, dry food, nothing... she just lay on the bed i try to put food on her mouth and nothing...

i called the vet in the morning, and told him this, and he told me: she is just too sick, like saying well there's nothing you can do,... so i told him, isn't the next step from here tube feeding?, bcz its been like a week since she stop eating, and since then she has eating just tiny tiny bits, and he told me that that is like way extreme and that i first need to try,....but i already tried! and she wants nothing...this is very frustrating....so i am definitely gonna change vet, i am taking her today with a different one, hope the new vet is smart and caring unlike the other insensitive (to say the least) vet!

sugarcatmom
September 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
.so i am definitely gonna change vet, i am taking her today with a different one, hope the new vet is smart and caring unlike the other insensitive (to say the least) vet!

Good idea getting a second opinion. Hopefully the new vet knows a bit more about feline care, as I'm not so sure this first guy does. Your cat is very sick and a feeding tube might be the best way to save her. An E-tube (through the side of the neck and into the esophagus) isn't as invasive as, say, a PEG-tube, which goes directly into the stomach. It's a relatively quick procedure and will give you the peace of mind knowing that you can get food into her, which is the only way to overcome fatty liver.

Hugs to you and Mena, and hang in there! Cats are incredibly resilient creatures and it's surprising what they can overcome. I've had to resort to feeding tubes on a few occasions with my cats for various illnesses, and they've been a life-saver. :grouphug:

Love4himies
September 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I agree, a second opinion is needed. :grouphug: and some :pray: for her.

lilycat
October 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hello to everyone, i am sorry for not updating this sooner...

I am happy to say that my dear kitty is doing well... since my last post i have changed vet, and this new one is fantastic!...

first of all when i took mena (my cat) in, the vet immediately put an iv for fluids because she was very dehydrated, and stayed the night in the animal hospital, the next morning i went to see her and she was ok but very week, so the vet told me we where going to force feed her, i asked about the feeding tube and she told me that because the problem was in the liver and the feeding tube required anesthesia she didint want to put her through that yet, she told me as long as she is taking the food and not vomiting she preferred to force feed.

so we did, the first time my cat vomited, and was probably bcz we gave her a lot of food (our mistake) so we started with small amounts, every 30 min or so, then bigger amounts and so on. the vet gave her nausea pills for the vomiting, antibiotic (only 3 shots every day for 3 days, and she stayed for about 4 days with the iv.

after that they took off the iv and i took her home, this where the instructions:

force feed her and try to get her to eat for her self as well with food that she likes, i am giving her a pill that induce hunger, and also i am giving her potassium and glucose supplement.

so far so good, i am force feeding her, but not that much bcz she is eating a little bit on her own and i dont wanna get her totally full so she can feel a little hungry and start eating, she has not vomited since, and that was one of the biggest concerns so im very happy, although what worries me is that she is still kind of weak and she is still a bit under weight, but i think she is doing a lot better!...

but i dont wanna get my hopes too high bcz she is not totally recovered, so im hoping for the best!!

i wanna thank you all for all your advice and wishes, you really helped me in those difficult times, thanks a lot!

sincerely,
Lily

lilycat
October 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM
pic of my mena :)

rjesak
October 2nd, 2009, 07:10 AM
My cat doesn't have liver disease (well, we don't think so) but I've been having eating issues for a while now. It's terrifying having a cat who is clearly unhealthy. You're in the right place though - I'd be ready to hire SugarCatMom and Growler (and a few others) as my vet because they know much more than my vet about a lot of cat health issues. I'm sending you and little Harry Potter lots of good vibes.

By the way, a few years ago, I changed my cat's diet based on advice on this board and my fat cat, Zander, dropped three pounds and the other cats puffed up a bit (which is to the good - they were all thin). Good stuff here.

Love4himies
October 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
I am glad you got that second opinion, who knows how sick your first vet would have let your kitty go before he did anything :frustrated:.

You are right, the more you force feed your cat the less hungry she will be and won't eat on her own.

She is a beauty :cloud9: :lovestruck:

lilycat
October 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Love4himies I am glad you got that second opinion, who knows how sick your first vet would have let your kitty go before he did anything

Thanks! changing vet was the best thing!

I am happy to report that my precious cat is now much better, she is eating a lot now, i don't have to force feed her that much because she is eating a lot! yay..i am so happy :)

I am still giving her appetite stimulant and potassium and vitamin B supplement, but she is a lot better, in couple of weeks we'll run another blood test to see how she is doing...

Thank so much guys you've been great! :grouphug:

Until next update,

Lilycat :cat:

P.s. My best wishes to all of the beautiful people of this forum and their precious pets!! :angel:

Jim Hall
October 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM
excellent!!! now to get the stimulant reduced?

lilycat
November 22nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hello to everyone, i am sorry for the late reply, but i change home and didn't had internet (and don't have yet actually...) i just wanted to post my last update on the subject...

I am very happy to say that my beautiful cat mena is 100% well and healthy... we had the blood test results the past week and she is perfectly fine now :party::thumbs up i couldn't be more happy!! she has overcome completely the hepatic lipidosis she had and now she is a healthy normal 8 year old cat :angel: she is my angel and the past months were very difficult, but all the effort was worth wile because now she is healthy, playing around and she will be with me in christmas so i can put her on a little santa outfit :D

i wanna thank EVERYONE here in the forum for all of your help, support, advice and good wishes :grouphug: you guys are truly heroes and angels in my eyes and i will keep visiting in case i can help others just like you guys helped me!

sometimes when you are in the difficult position of having a sick pet for the first time a comforting word or good vibe can help A LOT! so i cannot thank you enough!

so i'll be seeing you guys around my best to you all :pray:

here's a pic of my mena 100%well

rainbow
November 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Mena is beautiful :lovestruck: and glad to hear that she has fully recovered. :highfive:

How is Harry Potter? ...would love to see pics of him too. :D

Are you now feeding them both a good quality canned food? :fingerscr

lilycat
December 8th, 2009, 12:29 PM
thank you very much rainbow!! :lovestruck: i am feeding them wet food now, thanks to the advice on this board, and my cats are now healthier (bcz i control the amount of food they eat, and bcz all of the benefits of wet food...)

harry potter is now under adoption i am afraid to say... i still have him with me but in a different home, (this because he was the reason why mena got sick in the first place, he caused her a lot of stress the first weeks he was home, and after the stress mena just stopped eating, and in came the hepatic lipidosis) so i am now looking for a home for harry, hopefully i will find one soonn near me so i can visit! :fingerscr...

harry...

rainbow
December 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Awww, Harry is adorable :lovestruck: but looks very mischievious as well. :D

I hope you can find a new forever home for him soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
December 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I am so glad Mena is doing so well :thumbs up., but am sorry to hear about Harry Potter, though.

I hope you find a home for him soon :cat::goodvibes: