Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blood pressure in pets

marko
September 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Just curious everyone,

When you take your pets in for a checkup, do they automatically take your pet's blood pressure?

many thanks!

Marko

breeze
September 16th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think so.

they check

heart
sometimes temp
ears
eyes
teeth
paws
groin
ribs

then a treat :)

at least that is what my vet does.

marko
September 16th, 2009, 12:17 PM
That's been my experience as well...
I wonder why that is - blood pressure IS a vital stat so why isn't it a part of every checkup? Is it because many vets don't have pet sphygmomanometers (blood pressure measuring device). Seems like my vet wants to charge extra for this and I'm wondering if it's normal.

thx - M

breeze
September 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I would imagine that if the pet has a strong heart and everything else looks good there is no need for it, unless the person requests it.:shrug: or an underlying condition/symptoms

sugarcatmom
September 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM
At the feline-only clinic I go to, all senior cats automatically get a blood pressure check as part of their exam.

chico2
September 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Simce my Rocky has Hyper-T,I was hoping my vet would check his blood-pressure,but he did not,he said it's not normally done on kitties:confused:

Bailey_
September 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
None of mine have ever had this done at a checkup. :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
September 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I have had my CRF cat Duffy's bp taken twice by request under very stressful conditions/situations in unfamiliar clinics (one being an ER clinic) and both times her bp was 120. My homeopath clinic doesn't have a bp monitor, but upon request or when warrented will refer to a clinic that does.

Blood pressure in most clinics has to be specifically ask for & depending on the clinic the equipment may not be available.

Some vets say BP monitoring on cats is not generally done because their BP rate in a clinic would be higher than normal (White Coat Syndrome) so it's "not completely accurate". Stress may play a part in raising the blood pressure but likely only by about 20 points, so it would be unwise to decline to treat a cat whose bp rates over 200. Even with a "give or take for stress" of 20pts 170 would be high enough to warrant consideration for treatment especially if there are other medical issues.

Systolic BP.......Risk of Damage to Organs..........Treatment Plan
Under 150.............Minimal........................... ...No treatment necessary

150-159................Mild........................... ......Treatment is not normally necessary. However, it may be appropriate to begin or increase
.................................................. ...............blood pressure medications if ocular or neurological signs are present.

160 - 179.............Moderate.......................... .Begin or increase blood pressure medications

Over 180..............Severe........................... ..Begin or increase blood pressure medications.

http://www.felinecrf.org/diagnosis.htm#blood_pressure

Only the systolic pressure value is taken (the top number ie 120/40) as the diastolic value (bottom number) frequently cannot be obtained in cats. The goal in cats is a blood pressure reading between 120 and 149.

http://www.catsmeowvets.com/blood_pressure_monitoring.htm

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
None of mine have ever been checked. :shrug:

doggy lover
September 16th, 2009, 09:18 PM
none of my dogs or cats have ever been checked either.

marko
September 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the info everyone!

At the feline-only clinic I go to, all senior cats automatically get a blood pressure check as part of their exam.

Right on!:highfive::goodvibes: and that's how it should be IMO. Let's be real, all senior cats are at a risk for CRF and there is a strong link between CRF and high blood pressure.
IF the vet has a blood pressure machine but is not doing the test UNTIL results come back from other tests...this feels like a money grab to me as you are being charged for another visit. (Maybe Dr. Lee could add his :2cents: if he sees this thread.)

I like our vet but this is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

sugarcatmom, not that you need permission, but feel free to name your amazing clinic that is standing out from the rest.

Thx all!
Marko

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I have to take the gang in starting in December, one by one, to get their rabies shots. I'm going to ask the vet about it then.

sugarcatmom
September 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
sugarcatmom, not that you need permission, but feel free to name your amazing clinic that is standing out from the rest.

That would be the Calgary Cat Clinic (http://www.calgarycatclinic.com/), where I've been taking Aztec for the past 16 years :lovestruck:. They also recommend that cats have an EKG done prior to undergoing any procedure requiring general anesthesia. That's how we first discovered Aztec had mild cardiomyopathy, which he's now on medication for.

They keep very up-to-date on everything feline, have excellent cat-handling skills, and are open to learning new things from their clients. I only wish they had more holistic options, but I recently found another great clinic to cover that aspect. Oh, and they are far from cheap! But sometimes you get what you pay for......

Onemeower
October 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM
My kitty had blood shot eyes and blood in her urine so her bp was checked and she was put on bp meds. Her readings were just over 200 before meds, took her for her recheck and it is down to 150 (vet said it could be possible to be lower than than at home- if stressed they can be off by as much as 30 points)

My vet also charges extra for the bp reading as it is not part of the normal exam.