Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What am I doing?

Sneaky2006
August 19th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I look on petfinder occasionally, to see who's up for adoption in my area or somewhat close to me and I keep looking at this one dog. It is a white Pit Bull named Dolly. I keep going back to that page to look at her and I don't know why. We haven't really discussed getting a dog, but it's like I'm drawn to her for some reason. I emailed the shelter asking questions about her. :eek:
What am I doing?

Spoiled
August 19th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Maybe your heart is calling to you.

Make sure you know all the good and bad things about getting a dog. Knowing about the Pitbull breed will help things along. Don't ever get a dog on impulse. Putting her on hold and waiting for a few days is a good idea to really thing the idea over and make sure she is the right dog for you.

Sneaky2006
August 19th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I don't want to put her on hold or anything, in case someone wants her in the mean time. I wouldn't want to make her stay there any longer than she had to.
My whole family has dogs, and I had them growing up so nothing about dogs is new to me.
I don't know what I'm going to do, I just can't stop thinking about her. :)

Cactus Flower
August 19th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Do you believe in fate? :)

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 09:03 PM
That happens and every dog I look at I do the same thing...oh I wish I wish I wish. :D it's hard isn't it!

Sneaky2006
August 19th, 2004, 10:20 PM
I most certainly do Cactus!
We're going to be driving by there this weekend. (an hour away)
Look at her!
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3147334&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4124402a7611c10e-app3&display=&preview=1&row=25&tmpl=&stat=

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 10:23 PM
You're so silly, u can't resist huh LOL

Sneaky2006
August 19th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Nope, I can't. I just have to see her in person.
I don't want to tell hubby I am serious or anything, I want to wait to see her. I haven't even told him about HER at all. Pit Bulls are his most favorite breed.
The shelter is in Pottsville, Pa. Home of the Yuengling Brewery (his fav beer) So I was thinking... We'll go there for a tour and beer tasting (get him feelin good ;) ) and then 'pass' the shelter.
Am I horrible or what...

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 10:34 PM
BEFORE you get your hopes up call the shelter and see if the dog is cat friendly you silly SNEAKY goose!! :p

Sneaky2006
August 19th, 2004, 10:46 PM
The person from the shelter emailed me back and said that she's good with all other animals.. Don't know how true it is, but we'll see.

Cactus Flower
August 19th, 2004, 11:13 PM
There are two other dogs in the photo they posted of her, so I believe she is good around other dogs, and therefore tend to think they were honest about her being good around cats as well.

She is darling!

My Mom told me while I was growing up, and still reminds me to this day:
"ALWAYS trust your gut feeling, no matter what."

I believe your gut has spoken!

Sneaky2006
August 19th, 2004, 11:18 PM
That is true about the other dogs, I am praying it is about cats too.
I believe it has spoken too! Now if it will just talk to hubby now...

Cactus Flower
August 19th, 2004, 11:26 PM
On the way up there, or some time close to when you would actually be stopping at the shelter, ask your husband if he ever had a dog growing up. If he did, ask questions about said dog. Get him talking about that beloved pet....recalling fond memories....that will ease him into it nicely :D

Sneaky2006
August 19th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I already know that he's never had a dog, no pets at all. His mother was/is whack!
But anyway, he was ALWAYS bringing home stray animals, which he wanted to keep, but of course his mom always said no. If he couldn't find the owner, or someone that wanted them he would take them to the shelter or have them picked up so they could be adopted.
I could bring that up though!

Cactus Flower
August 19th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Sounds like he's got the heart for this!

Ok, get your gut and his heart together for a visit to that shelter....LOL :)

Sneaky2006
August 19th, 2004, 11:46 PM
I'm right on it! :D
It's still 2 days away darnit!

Enjolras
August 20th, 2004, 01:06 AM
i wouldn't worry too much about a shelter person lying....they are usually VERY interested in finding a home the dog and the people will like, so the dog doesn't end up back at the shelter or at the pound :)

Iggette
August 20th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Sneaky ...............be very skeptical about what they say...............the spca told me Buddy was fine with cats.....they lied....I think he might have hurt my kitten because she was limping for a few days but I never saw him so not sure.......but he constantly chases and harrasses them, I think he might just want to play but non the less he scares the bejesus out of them at times. Now when your talking pit bull you might want to ask why they know he is good with cats......perhaps a demonstration could be arranged with a cat there if they are leary about your request....I would be leary about the fact!!!

Good luck......love the idea of a few cocktails before the choice making.....lmao that what I did to my significant other when I told him I found a dog and wanted him :D He woke up with a hangover and the knowlege that I was on my way to pick up a dog....lmao :rolleyes:

Sneaky2006
August 20th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Thank you Iggette, very good idea about the cats! I will ask about setting something up.
Men need to learn to not drink if they want to make decisions!! But that's a whole other topic!! :D

Daiana
August 20th, 2004, 11:13 AM
I agree with your mom - trust your gut. When I was thinking about taking on my little Chihuahua, I heard all kinds of things about how "snappy, yappy, and spiteful and unfriendly" they were and I got all worried about whether or not I should take home this puppy that really needed a good home. But every time I went to see him, something inside told me "he's the one", and those feelings began to outweigh the doubt. So I bit the bullet, and now I'd be lost without him. Everyone (the vet included) is so pleasantly surprised by his temperment. My parents were the biggest skeptics, but let me just tell you - he's over at their place right now for a 2 week "vacation" at THEIR request. :D They just love him to death, and I don't think he's going to want to come home now.

Good luck - let us know what you decide!

Princesss04
August 20th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Sneaky 2006, I say go and see him and go from there. He is very cute, I love his ears. One question (off topic) is that your baby in the left hand coner of your name? He is a doll, he is so cute! :D

daisy18216
August 20th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Sneaky, that is a great shelter!!!!

I had talked to them on numerous occasions and also put my Dogs Deserve Better flyers up at their shelter.

I referred my friends to them and my friends adopted 4 cats and 1 kitten from them.

She is a beauty!! Pit Bulls are very friendly and a great dog. My Pit Bull is great w/my other dogs and other peoples dogs. He's also great w/my 3 small children.

Please let me know if you adopt her.

They are desperatly asking people to adopt thier cats and dogs. as they had 180 cats and 120 dogs. They had a newspaper article asking people to come and look at their animals and adopt, b/c they are a NO KILL shelter, but due to the fact that they are very overcroweded that for the first time in 10 years they might have to start euthing and they don't want to.

That's when I referred my friends to them and they adopted the cats, and kitten.

I wish you the best, and let me know if you take her.

LR, where are you??? (she's very knowledgeable w/pit bulls) :)

daisy18216
August 20th, 2004, 11:31 AM
This is from their website and here is their website addy HillSide SPCA (http://www.hillsidespca.com/index.htm)

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE: There will be NO INTAKES on OUT-of-COUNTY DOGS.

URGENT - URGENT - URGENT
We are EXTREMELY OVERCROWDED. We are in CRISIS mode. We are rapidly approaching the horrendous reality of having to euthanize due to WAY too many animals coming in than being adopted out. PLEASE ADOPT TODAY!!

"Miracle" Needs a Miracle
Responding to a cruelty call, the Hillside seized an emaciated 25-year-young mare who was near death. Currently in foster care, "Miracle" is on the road to recovery. In order to help this sweet animal, the shelter needs to pay for extensive medical care. We need your help. If you would like to donate to Miracle's Fund, please visit our Donation page for more information! Read more about Miracle>

We are a truly unique animal shelter.

Our dog and puppy population is rarely less than 100, and our feline facility is always on overload with nearly 200 cats and kittens in residence.

Many shelters put a strict time limit on how long they will allow an animal to be in the shelter before they euthanize him or her. The Hillside SPCA does not. We have some residents here at the shelter who have been with us for years, even their entire lives. No animal at the Hillside SPCA is ever put to death for being here "too long".

The animals here are never sentenced to life in a kennel. Dogs can run and play in a large fenced-in area and cats have large "condos" and enclosed extended rooms so that they can socialize and safely enjoy "the outdoors".

We are proud of our adoption rate, but there is always an unrelenting stream of new unwanted, abused, and homeless animals arriving to take the place of those adopted, leaving us always severely over-crowded, many times to the point of a crisis.

The Hillside SPCA is able to keep our doors open for the animals who need us only through donations from our supporters. The shelter does not receive government funds, nor is it affiliated with any national organization. Monetary, pet food, and supply donations are always welcome and deeply appreciated!

If you would like to volunteer, we encourage you to donate your time to help make the day brighter for a homeless animal.

Lucky Rescue
August 20th, 2004, 11:35 AM
OH my! How exciting! Dolly is just beautiful and what a sweet face she has!

It was the same for me. I saw my Chloe's face on Petfinder and couldn't stop thinking about her. I just had to have her.:)

Find out if she has been tested with cats, but even if she was and was good with them, be very cautious when you bring her home. Many dogs are fine with their own cats, but chase strange ones, so let her get used to yours slowly and keep her on leash at first.

My own pit bull doesn't chase ANY cats, even strange ones outside, and I fully trust her with mine. BUT I still was cautious each time I introduced one of my new fosters to her.

If you have never had a pit bull, you'll be wondering why you didn't get one before! I really think you NEED Dolly. :D

Luba
August 20th, 2004, 12:27 PM
You know you can't back out of going now, too many of us wanna see you meet her atleast :D

Sneaky2006
August 20th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Thank you thank you thank you!! I can't wait to meet her. I will keep you all updated!
I've read Hillsides website before, I think it's awesome that the animals aren't caged 24/7 and they can all interact. I think it is way better for them in the long run as well, with separation anxiety and such, seems like they are never lonely!
I think no matter how she would act with my cats, I would work with her anyway, they say she's ok with cats, but maybe cats that are new to her she may have a prob with. No matter which way I look at it, it's going to be a project, but I'm not going anywhere and I've got all the time in the world. :D
Oh princess, yeah that is my son 8 years ago! :)
I put up a Babies thread in the pics forum and I just had to make him my avatar!
Thanks for the compliments!!

daisy18216
August 20th, 2004, 01:02 PM
your son is very cute!! :D

I'm glad that your willing to work w/Dolly. Please let us know what happens after you meet w/her on Sunday. I hope we'll be seeing a new member in your family. ;)

I have to run up to Hillside also this weekend (I'll be childless this weekend) to deliver some stuff to them and a donation and see how they are on supplies of DDB materials.

Maybe I'll see ya up there and adopting Dolly, (keeping fingers crossed and dogs are keeping paws crossed) that your hubby will let you adopt Dolly.

Sneaky2006
August 20th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Thank you Daisy!
We are definitely going this weekend to meet her! I am sure we will make several trips before actually adopting. I want to do this right and not rush into anything. I actually have butterflies in my stomach! I can't wait!!!
I hope he will let us too, from what we hear about her, there is no reason we can't!

daisy18216
August 20th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Good Luck!!!! :D

talkbox
August 20th, 2004, 01:21 PM
getting hubby smashed to make a choice on a pit bull is NOT a good move.

Luba
August 20th, 2004, 01:26 PM
I do believe she was JOKING!!

Sheesh anyways Sneaks girl that baby is sooo cute can you please let me snuggle him :D

daisy18216
August 20th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Hello and welcome talkbox!! :)

I do believe she was being sarcastic about getting hubby drunk. :)

talkbox
August 20th, 2004, 01:38 PM
good. nice to be here! :-)

daisy18216
August 20th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Darn it Luba, stop hogging the board and getting your post in before me!!!

LOL :D

You know i'm kidding btw.

Dolly is a great looking dog and I hope sneaky does adopt her. Pit Bulls are the friendliest dogs who want to please and wants LOTS AND LOTS OF ATTENTION.

and they love to give LOTS AND LOTS OF KISSES.

mine is nicknamed the licking machine, he's just full of kisses.

Luba
August 20th, 2004, 02:07 PM
I gotta post before you, this is post WAR!!!!

Kidding ;) me luvs ya

Sneaky2006
August 20th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Yes I was joking!
Well we are going to the brewery, so I don't doubt he will be feeling good but we aren't adopting her right away anyway.
And after we discuss it, if he doesn't agree, I will use something waaaay stronger than alcohol!!! :p
Joking, I think... Haha

Writing4Fun
August 20th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Her big, puppy eyes will probably be strong enough! My hubby wasn't thrilled about getting Phoebe (he thought we were "replacing" Murphy). But, half an hour into the car ride home, he couldn't take his eyes off her (even though he was driving :eek: ) and kept saying, "Yeah, she is really cute.". Now, she gets her "honey, I'm home" hugs and kisses before I do!! :mad:

Sneaky2006
August 20th, 2004, 02:18 PM
I really don't think I will have a problem, he says hello to every one of our cats before me as well. Although they greet him at the door, and I'm sure Dolly would too!

Luba
August 20th, 2004, 02:24 PM
You think ur' getting this dog for you when u know she will end up being in love with ur hubby :D

Sneaky2006
August 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM
She will be I'm sure and vice versa!
I remember one time when we were dating, both living at home. He came over to pick up my moms dog (Lindy) to take him to the park for a swim in the river. I THOUGHT he was coming over to see me, he said "you can come too, if you want" Geez!
I know he still misses Lindy. Makes me want Dolly more now...

Catt31
August 20th, 2004, 05:55 PM
I think she was kidding, talkbox!!!

Sneaky, GO FOR IT GIRL!!!! Your gut is talking to you, and if your hubby read your posts and heard you talking about her with such love and passion, he wouldn't be able to say no!! You need a Dolly in your life!!! She is soooo cute!!! And you know what, they are even cuter in person - those pics never do them justice!!! I look back at Bricks pic from the shelter and he looked soooo sad and sooooo different than he looks now!!! Do it, do it, do it!!!! :D

Sneaky2006
August 20th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Catt, thanks for the pep talk!!
I'm already thinking about names... and I haven't a clue, it's gotta be an S name to go along with my crew!
I was thinking of leaving it Dolly but... Dolly Parton, I was typing something about her (the dog), saying Dolly would be ... and I first typed WOOD, ughh Dolly Wood!
I don't like it, lol

Spoiled
August 20th, 2004, 09:53 PM
I know a few names that start with "S"

Sassy
Sidney
Sonny (more of a boy's name)
Sunrise (more of a girl's name)
Sally
Sara
Simba
Sadie (Luba's puppy's name :p )
Shadow
Shades

I think the name Sidney is especialy cute.

Lucky Rescue
August 20th, 2004, 09:57 PM
I vote for "Sydney" too, but with a "y"!! :D

Spoiled
August 20th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Oops! I guess I wasn't thinking there. But it is such a cute name! :)

Luba
August 20th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Ssssssssssssssssss names yahoooey!!!

Shasta

Soda

Shana

Sydney/Sidney I LIKE

Writing4Fun
August 20th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Sydney gets my vote, too! :) We have an "S" name picked out for our next pup (3-4 years down the line, hopefully!), but I can't share it with you (hubby would never forgive me). ;)

Sneaky2006
August 20th, 2004, 11:31 PM
ooo, I like Sydney so far! :D

Cactus Flower
August 21st, 2004, 02:36 AM
Sage
Shania
Sahara
Stella
Sapphire
Seka
Shaylie......

Sneaky2006
August 21st, 2004, 03:22 AM
Hmm, Sapphire and Shaylie or maybe Shaylee... or Sydney I like. I don't know!! Maybe I'll know more when I SEE her...

Cactus Flower
August 21st, 2004, 12:02 PM
Yes, you'll know when you get her.

So many times I've had a really great name in my head and planned to use it on my next dog. But when I did get another dog, it didn't suit her at all.

On another note- I have SO MANY great names for MALE dogs, only I never get males LOL. Whatta waste!