Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cosequin for cats in Canada?

ayclee
September 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hi all,
I was wondering if anybody has had any luck buying Cosequin for Cats in Canada? I'm located in downtown Toronto and having a hard time finding stores that sell it. Worse case scenario I can go get another prescription from the vet, but it seems quite expensive.
I've tried online, but most sellers don't ship to Canada or have ridiculous shipping costs so it's not really worth it.
If Cosequin is not readily available in Canada, could anybody suggest alternatives? I've tried those Happy Hip treats and Felix won't go near them!

Thanks everybody for your help!

sugarcatmom
September 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
You can only buy Cosequin from the vet or online, it isn't available at any stores. I have a link at home for a decent online source that doesn't charge much for shipping, I can get that too you later. Other alternatives are just buying a human glucosamine/chondroitin supplement from a health food store and giving your cat an appropriate dose (I think it's 125mg of glucosamine per 10lb cat per day). MSM would also be something to consider (up to 250mg per day) in addition to the glucosamine, and green lipped mussel is worth looking into.

ayclee
September 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks sugarcatmom!
I was looking at some human versions of glucosamine/chondroitin but can't seem to find a manufacturer that sells them in the smaller doses. They are all at least 200mg. I'll keep looking though!

sugarcatmom
September 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Since they're capsules, you can just pull them apart and sprinkle a portion of it onto your cat's food. For instance, with a 500mg capsule, you can give Felix 1/4 cap per day, or more if he's larger or his arthritis is particularly bad. My 15lb kitty (who has very bad arthritis) gets 250mg of glucosamine per day.

I'm assuming the Cosequin is for arthritis and not a bladder issue, but either way, a very important factor for both is diet. Feeding a grain-free wet food is the only way to go. Grains are pro-inflammatory, and since arthritis is an inflammatory condition, you'll want to do your best to cut them out from Felix's diet (if you haven't already). Adding a few drops of omega3 fish oil (which is a natural anti-inflammatory) to Felix's food might also help, if he doesn't mind the smell/taste.

ayclee
September 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks again Sugarcatmom!
Felix is on Cosequin because of a torn ACL in one rear leg and signs of tearing in his other rear leg. It's been a few months now and he is doing so much better. So I do want to keep him on it since it seems to have some great benefits.

I've been trolling the boards for a while now and have read up lots about the benefits of wet food so I just recently included wet food into their meals along with a better dry food (Orijen) and they seem to looove it.

Unfortunately, I can't really break open the capsules. Felix is a picky bugger and will not eat his wet food if I try to hide anything in it. I will give it another go and keep trying with the capsules I have left. It just gotten so easy to shove the pill down his throat and he seems fine with it - he DEMANDS a treat after :) but certainly will try the sprinkling again - this way I can try to purchase pills at health food stores at a fraction of the cost.

I will do some more reading up on the Omega3 fish oil too!

Thanks again for your advice!

RUSTYcat
September 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
You can only buy Cosequin from the vet or online...I have a link...for a decent online source that doesn't charge much for shipping...

That's something I'd be interested in having, too!

pbpatti
September 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I recently went to my Health food store and found what you are looking for in a powder form rather then capsules. This is for pets they have both dog and cat formulas. Recovery SA, Mobility Formula for Pets. It's even a Canadian product :thumbs up made by Biomedica, Duncan BC 1-866-334-2463 or service@biomedicalabs.com check it out could be something that you may be able to use. pbp

sugarcatmom
September 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
That's something I'd be interested in having, too!

Found it! I've bought stuff from this site several times (everything from Feliway to C.E.T Chews to Cosequin) and I've never had a problem. They only charge $3 to ship to Canada, and while you might find some products cheaper on other sites, those ones also tend to charge way more for shipping. http://www.cattyvet.com/pet_products.html

ayclee
September 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks again! I'll be sure to check out the site!