Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bugs Galore

Bailey_
September 11th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I don't know what it's been about September, but so far I've seen two quite intimidating looking spiders. (And I cannot STAND bugs.)

My parents had a cat face spider at their place, which my husband PET. Yes, that's right, he touched it and stroked her abdemon, and she never moved. I have a video of this, and pictures, which I will grace you all with soon. :evil:

And then we found a funnel weaver at the warehouse, which was actually pretty neat. It's web was in the shape of a funnel, like a tornado. Very neat.

What bugs have you found this summer? Anything interesting?

breeze
September 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Bailey just remember to put in the title spider!!!

:laughing::laughing:

:yuck: I don't like bugs or spiders :yuck::yuck::yuck:

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Other than the usual butterflies and dragonflies, I found this guy after he snuck into the butterfly house at our local nature reserve:

And we had some bald-faced wasps build this beautiful paper nest in one of the front hemlocks:

I didn't enjoy getting nailed a few times before I thought to look up and spotted the nest, but the hive activity I've seen since then has been fascinating!

Bailey_
September 11th, 2009, 01:10 PM
:laughing: Breeze!! Okay!! :thumbs up

Hazel, both pictures are gorgeous. Are those wasps black and white or the yellow and black ones?

breeze
September 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I do find the walking stick amazing!!

Hazel do you have a picture of a dragonfly??

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Black with white faces and piping. :D Sort of like racing stripes on cars! :laughing: Only with stingers... :o Luckily, I know the onion slice trick :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hazel do you have a picture of a dragonfly??
Hmmmm...I think I do, but not from this year... Want me to look?

Bailey_
September 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Black with white faces and piping. :D Sort of like racing stripes on cars! :laughing: Only with stingers... :o Luckily, I know the onion slice trick :thumbs up

AHhhhh, the black and white ones seem so much more intimidating to me for some reason. To be honest, I've *always* had a very serious fear of wasps/bees, which the DH is kindly trying to help me over so I don't pass it onto Kiley. :o What's the onion trick?

breeze
September 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hmmmm...I think I do, but not from this year... Want me to look?

yes please if it's not a lot of trouble.. I would love to see it.

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
The great thing about the bald-faced ones is that they are only aggressive if you're near the nest. I was 10 feet away the first time I got stung and directly under it the second time--but if I watch from 20-25 feet away, they don't pay me any mind! :thumbs up

If you get a sting, cut a slice of onion--doesn't matter how thick...you just want to get a juicy surface. Apply the slice to the sting. The sulfuric acid in the onion neutralizes the venom and the pain goes away. Works for bees and for wasps/hornets--just remember to remove the stinger if necessary. And the faster you get to the onion, the less time it takes for the pain to go away. :D

I could only find three, breeze...the rest are archived... :o

Bailey_
September 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Wow, Hazel, you get some awesome shots!!

I will remember that onion trick for next time!! (Hopefully there will not be a next time. :laughing:)

breeze
September 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM
those are amazing hazel!!:thumbs up:thumbs up

some of them are just beautiful to look at...

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
All three of those are from the old manual SLR. I can't wait to see what the DSLR does with dragonflies :goodvibes:

breeze
September 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
What bugs have you found this summer? Anything interesting?

the only bug that has been a Constance is a big 120lbs one that goes by the name of Archie, this bug is constanly in your face, making sure you see him :laughing::laughing:

(that kind of bug I don't mind at all)
:cloud9::lovestruck:

breeze
September 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
All three of those are from the old manual SLR. I can't wait to see what the DSLR does with dragonflies :goodvibes:

is there a special time of the year that they come out of hiding??

Bailey_
September 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM
the only bug that has been a Constance is a big 120lbs one that goes by the name of Archie, this bug is constanly in your face, making sure you see him :laughing::laughing:

(that kind of bug I don't mind at all)
:cloud9::lovestruck:

:laughing: Those are the BEST bugs!! I'm not scared of those ones. :D

hazelrunpack
Nope, there are spring varieties, summer varieties and fall varieties. :D Just haven't seen too many this year--I think it's been too cool and wet. The only things really thriving are insects that can make their own shelter (like the hornets) and the mosquitoes :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
I'm not scared of the Archie bugs, either. :D I wish we had some around here :cloud9:

Bailey_
Nope, there are spring varieties, summer varieties and fall varieties. :D Just haven't seen too many this year--I think it's been too cool and wet. The only things really thriving are insects that can make their own shelter (like the hornets) and the mosquitoes :rolleyes:

I haven't seen a single mosquitoe this year yet!!!! And we ride through thick brush, near lakes, etc.

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
This is the first year they've been a problem (we've been here since fall 2004). We have a wetland just to the south, so I expected them to be bad all the time...not the case. But after this rainy summer, they evidently increased in numbers so much that they had to leave the wetland to find enough food. :rolleyes: Even the dogs are getting paranoid about mosquitoes. :dog:

Bailey_
September 11th, 2009, 01:42 PM
:yuck: That's annoying! They're so pesky, especially when there are a lot of them hatching. We usually are bombarded here too, but this summer has been extremley pleasant. Not a single one! So odd, but I am not complaining! :D

breeze
September 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM
We think that with all the mosquitoes Archie either got bite by one or two or more than two cause he has to things on top of his head, he is constinatly scratching them, I put polysoprn on them) just in case it is a scratch and not a bite

there has been so many this year it is hard just to sit outside after dark :eek:

Bailey_
September 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM
We think that with all the mosquitoes Archie either got bite by one or two or more than two cause he has to things on top of his head, he is constinatly scratching them, I put polysoprn on them) just in case it is a scratch and not a bite

there has been so many this year it is hard just to sit outside after dark :eek:

Awwwh, poor Archie! Dogs are such victims to being stung/poked/prodded/bit by bugs, aren't they? My parents little bichon cross, Humphrey, had quite the attack from something when we were visiting over the long weekend. He came back from a walk with my parents, and when they were taking off his leash he suddenly screamed. They brought him inside for me to look at, and his left eyelid was already swelling up pretty badly. We watched it and it went down again after a few hours, but man - it did not look comfortable. Still have no idea what bit him....

ownedbycats
September 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
This guy has been sitting on our fence for the last couple of days. No idea what he is. He makes a buzzing noise so he is easy to find.

Bailey_
September 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
:eek: OH my goodness, what the heck is that thing?!!? I'm getting nervous just looking at it. :laughing: He looks neat though. Never seen anything like it!

breeze
September 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
This guy has been sitting on our fence for the last couple of days. No idea what he is. He makes a buzzing noise so he is easy to find.

grasshopper??

cricket??

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Looks like a katydid. Not sure what Katy did, but that's what it looks like to ol' hazel. :o :laughing: It's a grasshopper sorta thingee. :D

Bailey_
September 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Weird! Are they common in certain environments? I can't say I've ever seen one here in Alberta...

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM
They're supposed to be pretty common here, but I've only seen a couple since we moved here. :shrug: They blend in pretty well. :o

ownedbycats
September 12th, 2009, 10:04 AM
As far as I know, it's not a katydid (or at least not a common one). the katydids I know of around here are kind of greyish brown, lumpy and really ugly. This guy is a really pretty green. As long as he stays on my morning glories, we don't mind having him around. Seuss votes for him to move to the other side of the fence where an inquisitive on leash cat can catch and play with him.

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2009, 01:22 PM
:laughing: Sounds like Seuss might have an ulterior motive!

Katydids around here are smooth, sleek, green, and almost translucent. Actually quite pretty...and they don't eat people, which is a plus! :D

Bailey_
September 12th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Here's a pic I found of a Katydid online...http://www.cirrusimage.com/Orthoptera/katydid_Scudderia_med.jpg

Looks similiar, yet different. Maybe the same family, different bug?

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I can only see the top quarter of the pic :o My connection no doubt :frustrated: But ours don't have that heavy a head. I suspect there are a lot of different species of kaydid... :shrug: growler even found a pic of one that was shocking pink in color one night! :eek: :D That was too psychedelic for hazel's tastes! :laughing:

Bailey_
September 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Wow! Well that is probably the case then. Lots of different species!! So neat. I wish we had them around here....and if we do, I want to see them!! :thumbs up

ownedbycats
September 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
You could be right, same family, different species. Yes, Seuss had an ulterior motive, but the bug is smart enough to stay on his side of the fence, he/she was out there buzzing away again this evening.

Bailey_
September 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Here are the spider pictures of the Cat Face that was at my parents. As you can see, my husband is certainly not scared of them. The cam had a hard time focusing on them, but you can see why the spider is called 'cat face' - the pointy ears on the abdemon and the two dots for eyes. Very neat!

Bailey_
September 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
..and one more, in focus!