Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

frontline?

Hazmat
September 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Am using Frontline. Is this stuff bad?

dmc123
September 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
We used Frontline for years - worked great. In the last year or so it didn't work for ours anymore, so we've tried a few different ones this year. The fleas are bad here, nothing seems to work really well.

I just ordered stuff to put on the floors and a spray too, got to get these taken care of, but we have a lot of critters here so the fleas love it here.

Good luck,
Diane

hazelrunpack
September 9th, 2009, 08:26 PM
We use Frontline and Frontline Plus primarily for the ticks. It's not 100%, nor can it totally protect against the hookworms and some of the other parasites that we have here--we have such a parasite load in the area that they keep breaking through it. However, Frontline is by far the best we've found for ticks. It totally eliminated any fleas.

None of the dogs has ever had a bad reaction to the Frontline in all the years we've used it.

Merial also stands behind the product--the first time our dogs came down with hookworms, Merial picked up the tab for the treatment of the dogs that tested positive for them. :thumbs up

MadeleineI
September 9th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Yes, frontline and all other commercial insecticides are very damaging to your pet's health. Get to the root of the problem instead and feed raw food. This dramatically drops fleas and worms, to nil or a negligible number.

hazelrunpack
September 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Madeleine, I think it depends on your situation. For instance, we live in the middle of a forest. There are raccoons, mice, rats and other vectors traversing through the yard every day, leaving infected droppings and urine around the yard. The ticks can be horrendous--we get wood ticks all spring and deer ticks (Lyme's disease, anaplasmosis, ehrlichiosis) every fall. This means we're a hotbed for tape worms, hookworms, lung worm, leptospirosis, and a number of tick-borne diseases, all of which we've had trouble with.

If I had a big enough freezer, I'd likely be feeding my 8 setters raw, but I'm pretty sure I'd still need the monthly Frontline or some other topical to minimize the parasites and tick-borne diseases.

So depending on where Hazmat lives, eliminating the topical might not be an option. :shrug: