Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting a kitty!

Akira
September 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Today me and hubby were at the vet, and they have a very large cat adoption area next door. We were looking at them through the glass and thought we should get another since one of ours past a little while ago.

It just so happens, theres an adopt-a-thon right now! All cats over the age of 1 are $20. This is all fine and dandy, but how am I supposed to pick ONE cat out of like, 100! Their all so sweet and cute and loveable.

Theres one im looking at, hes 13 years old, and he is absolutely beautiful. Hes been at the center for a year and a half. Hes been there for so long, he probably see's it as his home now, and I don't know if I want to put an elderly cat under stress like that.

Does anyone know of any cat breeds that are known to get along with dogs? Or any personality types? I do have cats already, but i'm a little less informed about them then I am of dogs.

Were going back to have another look in a little bit, might come back with one, but will probably be tomorrow. Will post pictures as soon as he/she comes home!:lovestruck:

Dog Dancer
September 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Any chance you can take the dog in with you so they can meet and see how the cat reacts?? Maybe they could bring the cat into a separate room for you to meet up in. How exciting and how lovely you are looking at a senior. Now I want another kitty (again...) I know I don't need to say pics will be expected ASAP.

NoahGrey
September 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Oh my goodness, please adopt this older cat. I used to work as an Animal Protection Officer, and the older ones are last to get adopted.

ACO22

clm
September 9th, 2009, 11:51 PM
The adoption centre may know which of their cats have been around and don't mind dogs. Taking your dog with you would be a good idea too, although sometimes a stressed kitty won't act as it normally would so it may not appear to like dogs and yet really normally wouldn't mind them.

A 13 year old kitty still has so many great years ahead of it, it would be wonderful if you could adopt it.

clm

Love4himies
September 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM
If you don't the cat's history, then you will never know if a cat will get along with a dog. I agree that the only way is to bring your dog in and have the cat meet it.

catlover2
September 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Altho adopting a 13 y.o. cat would be commendable, I think a kitten would adjust to your dog much easier, since you've a dog that is already cat-friendly. A kitten would likely be more of a playmate for the dog, rather than a senior cat, and your other cats will adjust to it easier.

How do you pick out a kitten from many? If they have a small room where you can have 6-10 kittens in it at once, sit on the floor and and see which kitten or kittens will come consistently to you to sit in your lap and want to be petted or played with. It's always better if the cat adopts you rather than the other way around. Too many people get hung up by wanting a specific colour of cat. The kitten that picks you out will be your furrever friend.

chico2
September 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I too would say try your dog with the 13yr old,my 13 yr old Rocky is far from"senior"he actually plays more than my other two who are younger.
I would rescue a 13yr old in a heartbeat:cat:

Frenchy
September 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Altho adopting a 13 y.o. cat would be commendable, I think a kitten would adjust to your dog much easier,

sorry but I don't think so. I adopted 4 adult cats since I have my dogs here , only one cat couldn't get used to the dogs.

Kittens run a lot and that can make the dog run after the cat.

I think asking if they know of one cat that is use to dogs , would be your best bet. I also don't see a problem adopting the older cat , if he is ok with dogs that is. :)

Bailey_
September 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I agree with Frenchy. Our two kittens are soooo rambunctious and can get the dogs quite worked up if we aren't careful. Not to mention our newest kitten refuses to be in the same room as a dog at any time of the day, and absolutley nothing (that we know of) has happened to her. She just doesn't like them.

We adopted our first cat at a year old, but she was four years when we brought our two dogs into her territory. She has been more than fine with both, and cuddles with our older dog often.

It really just depends on the cat, and from experience I can say that older cats seem to have more confidence around dogs, compared to the little ones.

Akira
September 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Sorry everyone, timing is no longer good for getting a kitty. My mother in law just had her hip replaced and having to introduce a cat to 3 dogs and 2 cats right now just isn't a good idea. I will update if we still decide to get one.