Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So Petcetera isn't closing down??

onster
September 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I just recieved an email about the new and improved petcetera (i thought it will be closing???) which will now have an even bigger, better selection of live animals for sale :wall::wall:

I mean they did help out the HS with their cats ( I got Onnie from them), but a lot of their other animals didnt look too well. Especially after they were 'closing' and they were selling them dirt cheap....I hate to think of some of the homes they got. I saw this chincilla one day..omg it looked sooooooooooooooo sad and it was like 75% off cuz they were closing down?!?!!?

But now..theyre open again? :shrug: Someone bought them out?

It says:

"Experience the New petcetera
50% new assortments
Improved nutritional food listing
Wider selection in Live animals
Loyalty will have its privelages"

Then attached is a 15% discount coupon......I used to buy food from petcetera waaaay back when and thats why im on their mailing list.

TwinTails
September 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Hmm...I used to work for them, not a good company IMHO. Hopefully they will be better than before, in their treatment of animals. However I just avoid them now, unless it's something I can't get elsewhere. Too bad though, probably would have been best if they shut their doors for good :sad:

Marcha
September 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Sigh. I just noticed it on Sunday, that our local Petcetera was 'new and improved'. New what? Improved what?

Bailey_
September 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I agree TwinTails. I personally cannot stand any petstore that sell live animals, whatever the name.

DoubleRR
September 9th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I agree TwinTails. I personally cannot stand any petstore that sell live animals, whatever the name.

Exactly what I was going to say. Nothing turns me off a pet store faster than live animals for sale, particularly dogs and cats.

Love4himies
September 9th, 2009, 06:25 PM
The Petcertera here in Kingston would adopt out on behalf of Gan Humane Society, so not all cats and dogs you see for sale are from mills and bybs.

mikischo
September 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
The Petcertera here in Kingston would adopt out on behalf of Gan Humane Society, so not all cats and dogs you see for sale are from mills and bybs.

It had been Petcetera's long standing policy to adopt out cats and dogs on behalf of the Humane Societies and SPCAs across Canada. In 2001, we got our sweet Mickey through them at the age of 10. We had 8 beautiful years with him and we might not have noticed this sweet and deserving older boy among the sea of faces at the Humane Society, had it not been for Petcetera showing him at one of their stores.

Whatever other shortcomings this store may have had, I applaud any Pet Store that helps the homeless cats and dogs rather than selling them. The Humane Society here in Winnipeg certainly felt the crunch when Petcetera closed it's doors earlier this year and I'm sure other Humane Societies and SPCAs across Canada also felt the effects. I, for one, am glad to see they are reopening, as it appears they are going to continue with their former policy regarding cats and dogs.

See the link below:

http://www.petcetera.ca/page118.htm

Dee-O-Gee
September 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
You know it just "irks" me when you see retail stores advertising that they're going out of business and are having huge "blow-out" sales.

Next thing you know, they file for bankruptcy/Chapter 11, screw the un-secured creditors and government out of taxes (which cuts into my TAX wallet) and they re-open under a new name and promise to provide improvements, wider selections and better service.

I avoid these types of stores--first Chapter 11/bankruptcy is bad enough! :frustrated:

Dog Dancer
September 9th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I also noticed a "New Store Opening" sign on our Petcetera and wondered what that was about. I don't shop there, but I did adopt our sweet Halo from them eight years ago - she was from the SPCA and at one of their outlets for adoption. So I can live with that, but not just general "live animals for sale"

mafiaprincess
September 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I went to the original sale.. Petcetera was choosing to sell stock then. I went to the 2nd sale.. bought far less. When I inquired I was told they had been bought out by an american liquidation company. The 2nd sale had higher prices than the first one.. The remaining stock wasn't moving that I could see. Talking to some of the clerks I was told the liquidator may choose to reopen a handful of stores.

Looking at how many stores there were before vs now.. there's not that many left. There were a large number in Ontario and there's only a couple now. Original Petcetera is gone.. It's the liquidator making the policies now and it's technically not the same store anymore even if it has a super similar name.

onster
September 9th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I agree guys i think its great that they adopt out cats through their stores...*but* cats and dogs are not the only animals were talking about.

They carry birds, fish, rabbits, hamsters etc etc etc.....some of the conditions I see some of the other animals in are just not nice IMO. :shrug: I have a friend who ended up buying a discounted bird from them...her poor bird plucked all her feathers out!! Actually here is a pic of her

I mean look at the beak and all the plucked feathers. That is a bird that is having issues...she looked like this for a few months before my friend finally decided to get her...she said that the staff of course had no idea why she was like that or what to do (feather plucking can be related to stress). All they did was make her cheaper (not take her to a vet) and let the new owner if somone bought her deal with it.

Also I dont like being told theyre shutting down one second then have them reopen the next....:shrug:

So all in all I am disapointed with them having a wider/better selection of live animals........

TwinTails
September 9th, 2009, 11:34 PM
They also used to have a no reptiles/amphibians pokicy, now they will be carrying the most popular ones :( I actually noticed another chain petstore in town here that is selling leo geckos 2/$39.99 (both babies and adults, all phases). Everything there was dirt cheap, very sad :(

mikischo
September 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I hear you, Onster and Twin Tails. I must admit that, other than my son finding our sweet kitty at Petcetera, I have had little dealings with Petcetera stores over the years, so I have not observed the things other posters have mentioned. The few times I stepped into Petcetera stores, I usually found they didn't have what I was looking for. As far as pet stores are concerned, I have usually gone to Pet Valu over the years, mainly because of their good selection of cat foods.

I will make a point of keeping an eye on the newly reopened Petcetera store here in Winnipeg when I am in the area, paying particular attention to how they are housing their animals and the animals' apparent state of health and wellbeing. About all I can think of that we can do to try to keep pet stores in check is to become more vocal if we see signs of bad practices or neglect. In addition to written complaints to the store this could perhaps include writing letters to our local newspapers and reporting neglect to our local SPCA's. Bad publicity is something most businesses do not want.

:offtopic:I did notice when googling the internet this morning that Canadian owned Pet Valu has recently accepted a takeover bid from a large U.S. corporation. See below:
http://www.canada.com/business/Valu+agrees+friendly+million+takeover/1763690/story.html
The Pet Valu stores might also bear watching to see if any negative changes such as the selling of live animals start taking place over the next few months under new ownership.:offtopic:

Unfortunately, when it comes to Pet stores or any other businesses for that matter it is usually all boils down to the almighty buck.