Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Charlie, my sweet boy

EndOfFashion
September 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Yesterday Charlie crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Charlie was very sick and we had to make the impossible decision to let him go.

You were my big, brave boy.
You were my friendly, charming and classy little man.
You were my anti-cat cat...we used to joke that we had a cat-dog.
You were so sweet and cuddly, all of the vets and vet techs who met you loved you. You had a special room all your own with all the vet techs, just so they could cuddle with you whenever they (or you!) wanted to.
You were a great sport, and put up with Milo chasing you and licking your ears and sometimes even knocking you over.
You deserved better. You didn't deserve to be picked up by the THS, 15 pounds overweight. You didn't deserve to become so sick. You were only 4 years old. You were only in our lives for 1 year and 3 months. You deserved to become an old, butterball cat. You deserved to live so much longer.
You were my first cat, the greatest cat I have met, and there will never be another like you. You are totally irreplaceable.

I'll miss you snuggling into me on the couch.
I'll miss you "chasing" the laser pointer without actually getting up.
I'll miss the way you use to gently raise a paw and poke me on the chin when we would lie together on the floor.
I'll miss you meowing and pounding on the bedroom door in the morning when you wanted your breakfast.
I'll miss your quiet, unmanly little meows...when you felt like being vocal. Which was usually when you wanted food.
I'll miss your constant purring. You were always happy to see everyone.
I'll miss you, big guy...always. My heart will never recover from this.

Love4himies
September 9th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I am so sorry, EoF, :cry: Your tribute to Charlie is wonderful, sounds like he was one of a kind. :grouphug:

:rip: Charlie :candle:

Melinda
September 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM
run pain free over the bridge Charlie knowing how much you are loved.

Jim Hall
September 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM
If we are relaly lucky , we get to meet and grow with exceptional animals
It sounds like you had one in charlie

marko
September 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM
:rip:sweet Charlie :candle:and I offer you my deepest condolences EOF :sorry:

EndOfFashion
September 9th, 2009, 09:07 AM
If we are relaly lucky , we get to meet and grow with exceptional animals
It sounds like you had one in charlie

I just wish we had more time to grow together. This shouldn't have happened. :sad:

EndOfFashion
September 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks everyone. I didn't think I could cry anymore, but...

He really was one of a kind. I wasn't much of a cat person before I met Charlie. He completely changed my view of kitties. He was such a special little guy, could always lift my spirits. Even the vets would say that at first they couldn't understand why someone would adopt such an overweight cat (:mad:), but after spending some time with him realized it's because he was so friendly, happy and sweet. Not a mean or indifferent bone in his squishy body. I am going to miss him SO much. This place isn't the same without him

hazelrunpack
September 9th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I'm so sorry about Charlie, EoF :2huggers: You fought so hard for him!

My heart goes out to you :grouphug:

:candle: Charlie

Love4himies
September 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks everyone. I didn't think I could cry anymore, but...

He really was one of a kind. I wasn't much of a cat person before I met Charlie. He completely changed my view of kitties. He was such a special little guy, could always lift my spirits. Even the vets would say that at first they couldn't understand why someone would adopt such an overweight cat (:mad:), but after spending some time with him realized it's because he was so friendly, happy and sweet. Not a mean or indifferent bone in his squishy body. I am going to miss him SO much. This place isn't the same without him

I know you can't replace a lost kitty, but there are others that are special too that have so much love to give. When you are ready, I hope you share your love with another special kitty that would love to have you as their :angel: as Charlie did. :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
September 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM
So sorry to hear about sweet Charlie - and what's wrong with adopting an overweight cat pray tell??? Bless you for loving him as you did. RIP sweet boy you are well loved and deeply missed until you meet your earth family again.

EndOfFashion
September 9th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for your kind words, my pets.ca family :grouphug:

I know you can't replace a lost kitty, but there are others that are special too that have so much love to give. When you are ready, I hope you share your love with another special kitty that would love to have you as their :angel: as Charlie did. :grouphug:

L4H, right now it doesn't feel like I could ever love another another kitty like I loved Charlie. I'm so worried that any other kitty would just fall short of the standards he's set. But I know in my heart that I couldn't turn my back on all the homeless cats out there, and I know you are right about there being other special little furballs :). I've wanted to foster for TCR forever, so I think that would be my first step, when I'm ready...but I know it will be a while.

meow
September 9th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I am so sorry EOF. Beautiful photos of Charlie there! Charlie knew you loved him. Cats know these things He will always be your little kitty and will live forever in your heart!

:rip: charlie

EndOfFashion
September 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Yes he will live in my heart forever, meow :). I will never forget him. The bf and I have already decided we will donate to the Pet Cancer Awareness foundation every year, in Charlie's memory :angel2:

I'm going to donate his belongings to TCR, too, but I'm not ready yet...

Love4himies
September 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks for your kind words, my pets.ca family :grouphug:

L4H, right now it doesn't feel like I could ever love another another kitty like I loved Charlie. I'm so worried that any other kitty would just fall short of the standards he's set. But I know in my heart that I couldn't turn my back on all the homeless cats out there, and I know you are right about there being other special little furballs :). I've wanted to foster for TCR forever, so I think that would be my first step, when I'm ready...but I know it will be a while.

I know, it takes time for the heart to heal. :grouphug:

BenMax
September 9th, 2009, 11:37 AM
EOF - I am very very sorry for your loss. Bless you by all the love you provided.

RIP little one. :rip:

Peace to you.:angel:

ancientgirl
September 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
My very deepest sympathies to you. I know you loved your boy very much.

What an angel.

RIP :rip:

aslan
September 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM
EOF i'm so sorry for your loss, you did everything you could and Charlie knows it.

:rip:Charlie.

lUvMyLaB<3
September 9th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. . .Coming to know charlie a bit over the past few days i saw the tight grip he had on your heart that shows how special and unique he was. I know the choice to let him cross the bridge was so hard, but so selfless, the love charlie had for you ran just as deep as yours for him. When the time comes i know you will find another kid to love, neve take his place or replace him, but add to it. My thoughts are with you, take care.

sugarcatmom
September 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
What a beautiful kitty, and a lovely tribute. My heart goes out to you for the anguish you must feel right now. I'm so sorry that Charlie wasn't able to spend more time with you on this earth, but his soul shall remain a part of yours always.
:grouphug:

diandpat
September 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM
EOF, I am so so sorry for you. I was following your other thread and was so hopeful for you after all you were doing. What a truly beautiful final act of love to let him go. :sad:

Run free and healthy now sweet boy at the Bridge. :angel2:
:grouphug::goodvibes:

EndOfFashion
September 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Just had to say again how truly grateful I am for all of your beautiful comments. This forum and the amazing members are honestly the only reason (aside from my perpetually upbeat pug, Milo) that I am even functioning right now. I've finally washed my hair, after 3 days of not showering (sorry that's gross) :laughing: I looked at all of my photos of Charlie, and they made me smile. I still can't look at his little cat bed without crying, though...

meow
September 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Yes he will live in my heart forever, meow :). I will never forget him. The bf and I have already decided we will donate to the Pet Cancer Awareness foundation every year, in Charlie's memory :angel2:

I'm going to donate his belongings to TCR, too, but I'm not ready yet...:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up:grouphug:

meow
September 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Just had to say again how truly grateful I am for all of your beautiful comments. This forum and the amazing members are honestly the only reason (aside from my perpetually upbeat pug, Milo) that I am even functioning right now. I've finally washed my hair, after 3 days of not showering (sorry that's gross) :laughing: I looked at all of my photos of Charlie, and they made me smile. I still can't look at his little cat bed without crying, though...It is too soon. Of course you are going to cry. Let it out. Time my friend, time....

edwina
September 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
:rip: Charlie :cry:

Tutty*
September 9th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Awwww I'm so sorry :cry: RIP Charlie

Frenchy
September 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I am so sorry EOF , I thought he was doing better :sad:

he's free of pain now :candle:

:grouphug:

mikischo
September 9th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your beloved Charlie. He was a very beautiful boy. I wish you could have had each other for longer. You did all that you could for him, but for reasons beyond our control or understanding it was not meant to be.

May the pain you are now feeling soon be replaced by wonderful memories of the precious time you had with him. He is now free from pain.

:candle:Run free sweet :angel2:Charlie:cat::candle:
"The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different." -------Hippocrates

14+kitties
September 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
:candle::rip: sweet Charlie :candle: You will be missed very much.
:grouphug: to you EOF. I know how painful it is. My heart breaks a little more every time I hear of another loved pet losing its' battle. But they all run free at the bridge waiting for us to join them. And we will. It's what keeps us going.

I applaud you for wanting to foster for TCR. They are a wonderful organization who are always in need of people to foster. I am positive you will meet the most marvelous people through them. I sure have and am forever grateful to them. When the time is right you will know it. Until then celebrate Charlie's life; not his death. He would want that from you.

CATBED IN THE SKY

I thought that you might like to know I got here safe and sound
Though you must feel rather strange not having me around;
Of course, I am not really gone, I've just moved out of sight,
And I don't need that old body, things had stopped working right

. Sometimes I'm sorely tempted, to pop back down and see,
Just how you are managing, without any help from me,
But I'm sure that you will understand I can't come back to stay,
Though I have it on good authority that we'll meet again some day.

The chow up here's delicious - Ambrosia brand, it's named,
Once you've tasted this stuff, Friskies won't taste the same,
And where do they get this nectar, which thick and creamy comes,
It's not like other dairy products cos it don't give me the runs.

I haven't found the litter tray, and THIS perplexes me,
That however much I wolf down, I never have to pee.
But there are other plus points, which cannot be ignored,
My claws have all come back again and there are drapes here to be clawed.

Another little oddity, that leaves me quite astounded,
Underneath my tail end are two lumps, furry and rounded -
I can't remember having them, when I lived down there with you,
And up here, all I can say - I've not figured out their use.

Oh yes - I've got a comfy bed, just like mine down there at home,
So things here are quite adequate, I cannot gripe or groan;
But while I'm up here waiting, in my cat bed in the sky,
I'll regularly look in on you, and keep a watchful eye.

Author: Unknown

EndOfFashion
September 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
14+, that poem totally brought me to tears :cry2::cry2: (Except the two furry lumps bit...couldn't help but laugh because I know Charlie wouldn't know what to do with them either!). I'm glad to hear TCR is such a great organization, and I look forward to helping other homeless kitties in Charlie's memory. How anybody could have dumped him is totally beyond me, but I can only imagine how many others have suffered the same fate. :frustrated:

Frenchy, he was doing better on Saturday and then just took a turn for the worse. It was such a roller coaster ride...at least I got to spend one last night snuggling with him on Sunday :)

To everybody else...I can only keep saying thanks; your kind words mean so much. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
September 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
:cry2: :2huggers:

I Stood By Your Bed

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I purred to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times your hands reached out to me.

I was with you at the shops today, your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, you tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "It's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you every day.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is almost over... I smile and watch you yawning
And say, "Goodnight, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out... then come home to be with me.

Author Unknown

:rip: sweet :angel2: Charlie :candle: He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:

meow
September 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM
:cry2: :2huggers:

I Stood By Your Bed

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I purred to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times your hands reached out to me.

I was with you at the shops today, your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, you tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "It's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you every day.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is almost over... I smile and watch you yawning
And say, "Goodnight, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out... then come home to be with me.

— Author Unknown

:rip: sweet :angel2: Charlie :candle: He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:
now this made ME cry!:cry::cry:

EndOfFashion
September 9th, 2009, 10:31 PM
now this made ME cry!:cry::cry:

Me too...again. I just hope he's happy, wherever he is. :cat: Although I swear sometimes I feel like he isn't gone!

Winston
September 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
EOF I am so sorry you had such a short time with Charlie! My heart broke for you reading this today. I did think of you and Charlie today! Not to make you cry but maybe when your heart is healed you will consider taking another kitty in to your home? and please come back to your cyber family here when the time comes because we all know of a kitty or two in need!

Here is another special poem for you:

Charlie Run free to the bridge sweet one! :candle:

Sorrow
the love we shared, the bond we had,
the special way I needed you -
the friendship shared by just we two.

The day's too quiet, the world seems older,
the wind blows now a little colder.
You gaze into the empty air
and look for me, but I'm not there -
I'm in heaven and I watch you,
and I see the world around you too.

I see little souls wearing fur,
souls who bark and souls who purr
born unwanted and unloved -
I see all this and more above -
I watch them suffer, I see them cry,
I see them lost, I watch them die.
I see unwanted thousands born -
and when they die, nobody mourns.

These little souls wearing fur
(Some who bark and some who purr)
are castaways who - unlike me -
will never know love or security.
A few short months they starve and roam,
Or caged in shelters - nobody takes home.
They're special too (furballs of pleasure),
filled with love and each one, a treasure.

My pain and suffering came to an end,
so don't cry for me, my person, my friend.
But think of the living - those souls with fur
(some who bark and some who purr) -
And though our bond can't be broken apart,
make room for another in your home and your heart.

author unknown

EndOfFashion
September 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Winston, trust me, I've thought for some time that when the time came for another kitty (originally it would have been a playmate for Charlie :sad:), I would ask here first. I know how hard some of our members work to find homes for the abandoned, and I've always wanted to be able to help. I do think I would try fostering first...but if any members here need foster homes, I'll definitely ask before TCR. But obviously not for some time.

And that poem...another gem :grouphug:. Why are the authors always unknown? My favourite poems have almost always been about our pets...and the ones posted here have managed to so perfectly explain how I feel

clm
September 10th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I'm so sorry about Charlie. :candle:

All those poems flooded back memories of all of my past kitties and dogs.

I know that death is a part of life, and I know I will always have kitties and dogs in my life, but it so doesn't make it any easier when they pass on.

He'll always be with you, you'll always have him in your heart.

clm

Tundra_Queen
September 10th, 2009, 01:58 AM
EOF, I am so very sorry about Charlie's passing. He sounds like he was a real sweetheart. I loved seeing his pictures he was a very handsome boy. :grouphug:

Debbie

meow
September 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Thinking of you EOF. Charlie taught you a true blessing in this life and I thank him for what he brought you! :lovestruck::lovestruck:
One day....when you are ready...I know you will get another kitty.:angel:

wendy205
October 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
ahhh im so sorry that charlie had crossed the bridge , what a beautiful looking cat he was you will me him dearly,
may he run ree at the bridge
memories of him will live forever in you hearts
my love to charlie
:candle::grouphug::rip::

lilycat
October 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I'm very sorry obout your loss :sorry: my deepest condolences, i offer you a :grouphug: and :goodvibes: hang in there, your boy is now in a better place :angel2: