Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cooking question

dollface
September 6th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Last night we got takeout from Le Chinois in Burlington, ON. And one of the dishes we ordered was the Le Chinois Shrimp which is described as lightly coated shrimp then fried in tantalizing sauce with crispy cucumbers. The sauce is like a spicy sweet and sour sauce that is red but not from tomatoes.

Anyways, we always order this b/c it always turns out the way it is described and it's really good. The last time but we had to throw it out cuz the shrimp was mushy and the sauce tasted like jello :yuck: we got it again thinking maybe they had an off night last time. Well they must have a new cook or something cuz it is mushy again! :frustrated:

So instead of throwing it out again, is there a way we can try and save it? Would frying it up for a few minutes break down the gelatin-like sauce into actual sauce and firm up the shrimp? Or should we just call the restaurant and ask them? :confused:

CearaQC
September 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Don't know of a way to save what you already have, but when ordering it in future, ask that the sauce be on the side instead of already mixed in. Any time you fry something with a crispy batter and then toss it in a sauce, it's going to get soggy, depending on how long it sits out before you get to eat it.

We can't get decent take out food here for oriental or tex-mex, so I make it all myself! We just had a nice supper of veggie fried rice, chicken balls and stir fried savoy cabbage with onions.

The shrimp is most likely coated in corn starch, then battered and fried. Then sauce is added and stirred. I can't answer for the cucumber thing though.

Sweet and sour sauce is pretty easy to make. It's basically sugar, vinegar, water and cornstarch with a bit of other flavoring added.

dollface
September 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM
It's not really the kind of dish that can have the sauce on the side, it's kind of like a marinade almost.

I am soo jealous of everyone that can cook asian food from scratch lol i need severe cooking lessons lol

soo
September 7th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Okay, let me see if i could help you here.

Easy Step to make Sweet & Sour Sauce ...

No. 1
Rinse shrimp with hot water and dap it dry with kitchen towel. You then either pan fried or coat it with flour ( due to second time coating - otherwise we normaly coat with corn starch ) or just pan fried without the flour. Then keep it aside.

No. 2

Chop a few pipe of garlic.

No.3

Heat up the pan and pour some oil. Lightly pan fried the garlic. Just before turning brown pour in ...

50% of tomato ketcup and 50% of chillies ketcup. If you find it too thick while cooking just pour 1/2 teacup of water and stir. Sugar or salt to taste * If necessary... using the taste should be good without adding. Well, anyway, it depends on individual taste, will leave it to you.

No. 4

Place your pan fried shrimp and heat it up again until it boil.

You may now serve. ( I don't think its wise to put in the cucumber it may be soggy and won't taste good :shrug: )

Hope this will help ...

cheers !

dollface
September 7th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Ya I don't eat the cucumbers cuz they taste wierd. That recipe does sound like it would taste like the dish we ordered. But what I wanted to know if there was a way to save the dish instead of throwing it out b/c the shrimps are mush almost like sushi and the sauce is gelatin-like. Usually the shrimps have a slight crunch to them and the sauce is saucy :sad:

Like could I fry it up to break down the gelatin-like substance to turn it into sauce?

soo
September 7th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Last resort fried it with rice... :shrug: sorry unable to help ..

Gail P
September 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Here's my :2cents:

I'm not familiar with the dish you're talking about but why not try your idea of frying it up and see if it works. If it does great, now you know. If it doesn't, it's a shame to have to throw it out but that's what you were considering anyhow right? Unfortunate to order take-out and it's :yuck: but if you're already thinking about throwing it away it's probably worth a shot. If there was no sauce I'd say frying or heating in the oven would crisp up the shrimp but if they've soaked up too much sauce they might not crisp. Maybe heating and stirring will help the sauce. Corn-starch based sauces tend to gel more as they cool, that's why I've always made gravy using flour, not corn starch. I like nice thick gravy with my roasts but not jelly gravy.

CearaQC
September 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM
It's not really the kind of dish that can have the sauce on the side, it's kind of like a marinade almost.

I am soo jealous of everyone that can cook asian food from scratch lol i need severe cooking lessons lol

If you have high speed internet, browse YouTube. There are literally thousands of how to cook videos. Some are really funny. One guy tries to sound like Justin Wilson, the old Cajun cook.

I cheat a bit and buy the chicken balls. :laughing: President's Choice brand in a green box, freezer section. We just love them! Plus it's easy since they go in the oven and cook away while you cook something else. Making them from scratch just takes too darn long.

Asian food is probably some of the easiest stuff to make because it cooks quick. Most time is spent on preparation than actual cooking time.

Buy a rice steamer. I will never, ever again cook rice in a saucepan because it just does not give the nice texture that steaming does. I even made a cake in my steamer once, in old British style "pudding" method. Steamers are awesome and versatile.

Both flour and cornstarch have their places, but they need to be used for specific things. Cornstarch is mainly used for giving "body" and a silky look to light sauces, and not meant for heavy thickening. Like say, in egg drop soup. The broth just needs that little something extra to help the egg mix throughout, instead of just floating on top. Flour doesn't quite fit the bill there in my opinion.

I prefer flour for my enchilada sauce recipe though.

dollface
September 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Thank you Gail P!! :) I will give it a shot with the frying pan and hopefully it turns out ok! :fingerscr

The restaurant is 45 mins from where we live but we like it soo much that we make the trek. And everything was still hot by the time we got home and unpacked everything so I'm hoping it's just a case of them undercooking the dish and next time we will be asking to make sure it's cooked right or no more business!

dollface
September 7th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions CearaQC :) I actually learned to make roasted potatoes and chicken parm thru some of the videos :) asian food will be my next project :fingerscr

dollface
September 9th, 2009, 05:57 AM
So the frying pan worked out ok. Didn't make them crisp up but did help with sauce a bit and firmed up the shrimp more. So YAY and thanks for all the input :)