Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breed Question...American Bulldog

bullilover
August 19th, 2004, 10:34 AM
I have a question that maybe some of you could answer.
Why do people think that my American Bulldog puppy is a Stafforshire Bull Terrier??
From reading the differences in the breed they are not the same animal.
I have rescued our puppy as many of you already know but he came from a breeder that sold his puppies with papers so he is pure breed American Bulli.
I have gone through pictures too and they don't look alike when they are grown either.
Is it just a puppy thing or do people just not know the difference?
Do you think he looks like a Stafforshire Bull Terrier??

Lucky Rescue
August 19th, 2004, 10:37 AM
He is definitely NOT a Staffordshire bull terrier. Maybe you mean American Staffordshire terrier?

Writing4Fun
August 19th, 2004, 10:41 AM
OMG! He is soooo sweet! :D I don't really know the difference between most of the "bull" breeds (sorry! :o ), so I couldn't comment on that aspect - which probably proves your point that most people just don't know! ;)

bullilover
August 19th, 2004, 10:47 AM
You're right Lucky, that is what I meant. I was at Berry's the other day and had Dozer with me, the lady in the store said, "Oh he's a Staffordshire" and when I replied that he was an American Bulldog she said, well their the same dog just different names.
I then came home and started looking on the net for information and from what I have read they are not the same at all.
Distinguishing breeds can be hard I guess.

bullilover
August 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Oh one other question while I'm here. When does his head start to change? That seems weird I know, but I have noticed that his jowels are already starting to droop a bit, I was just wondering when his face begins developing more? Becoming squarer I suppose.
I am new to this breed so I don't know alot about their developmental changes. I have looked at other AB breeders sights and his puppy pics are similar to puppies his age that are shown, and his muzzel distance is standard..1.5". His ears I wonder about too. he has begun holding both of them out to the sides. Do ears develop in different stages too or is this something he is doing to hear better since he is blind.
I know weird questions...but I am always looking for "food for thought"!! LOL!!
Thanks everyone for the info. :o

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Ahhh so cute cute cute MORE PICS!! :D

mastifflover
August 19th, 2004, 11:05 AM
You will find the changes happen anywhere from 6months to 2 years most occurring in the first year. I think people mistake him for a American Staff because most Am Bulldogs that you see around are white body. You boy is sure a cutie patootie he has that kissable face. You will find they go through growth spurts where they look the same for a while then you notice big changes then nothing. Good luck with this litttle guy.

SSAC
August 19th, 2004, 01:58 PM
He looks like an ABD to me. Nowdays people tend to think of every "muscle" dog as a Staff or a Pit. Are we bordering on mass hysteria with Pits?? :confused:
Just set people straight on the breed when they comment. Especially if it's a negitive comment. Although he's too cute for negativity :D

Lucky Rescue
August 19th, 2004, 02:05 PM
"Oh he's a Staffordshire" and when I replied that he was an American Bulldog she said, well their the same dog just different names.

Nope! American Staffordshires and pit bulls are pretty much the same. American bulldogs are very different in size and temperament - they are more of a guardian breed and more reserved with strangers.

As for his jowls - some dogs are "lippier" than others. Just depends on the dog!

bullilover
August 19th, 2004, 02:45 PM
they are more of a guardian breed and more reserved with strangers.
Lucky what do you mean by a guardian dog and more reserved with strangers???? Do you mean protective and family oriented? I have been looking for a book just about this breed, but they had nothing around my area with American Bulldogs in it, so I have been visiting alot of breeders sights trying to learn as much as I can! Does anyone on the forum own an American Bulldog?

Lucky Rescue
August 20th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Yes, AB's are protective of their territory and families and dont' have the very "soft" temperments that pit bulls and AmStaffs do. I know someone who has owned and trained them for many years. She used to own pit bulls, but said she was tired of being treated like a second class citizen by her dogs whenever strangers were around. :p

Here's a page with a brief but good description.
AB (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldog.htm)

glasslass
August 20th, 2004, 12:49 PM
There was a "test" on this board that you had to click on pictures to identify which was a pit bull. I flunked! I, like many people can recognize a "bull" type breed, but have difficulty recognizing the fine line differences between the breeds. I've learned a huge amount since joining this board. It's just unfamiliarity. Hate to use the word ignorance, even though that's what it is. I know my poodles! :p

yukon_chime
July 6th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Hey there, I have an American Bulldog (female named Keno) and a male American Staffordshire (male named diesel). Yours looks exactally like my female, and let me tell you there is a huge difference in the breeds looks!!!! Everyone always calls my female a pitty (she is mostly fawn color with some white).... Both of my dogs are very laid back....Keno is 11 months and Diesel is 5 months, we plan on breeding them together. My female can get excited and jump a bit, but she lets my 5 year old son amd 10 year old daughter tug her around everywhere, she absolutly loves children. We live on a farm with chickens, rabbits, a turkey, a horse and a cat. When one of our animals get out we tell Keno to "flush" and she will corner them for us. She mother's all of our animals (she is so gentle).... Diesel looks like a pitty, big head, big build, he is so beautiful (white with a black spot on his bum and as he gets older little black spots are poking through his coat more) He never jumps, he's very calm, but has to be reminded to be gentle with all the animals (he wants to play and mall all of them, so a verbal reminder is needed at times) These are by far the best breed of dog we have ever raised as a family. I would reccomend either bred to a family with children!!!! Bulldogs are very smart and quick learners, Staffies need a bit more work with training. When I get pics I will post them, Hopefully Diesel starts gaining interest in Keno as a female instead of just a playmate and I will be able to post pictures of their offspring soon too. As for your question about "guardian" I agree....Keno is very gentle to family members and our friends, but very cautious about strangers entering our yard. She barks at them and backs away from them, it takes her about 20 minutes of seeing a new person before she will socialize with them, sometimes she will decide not to socialize with certain people and will just leave the area they are in. My Staffordshire is overly friendly, he greets everyone with his big smile (yes, it is a real smile) He loves attention from anyone.

Angeleyes1437
July 6th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Why would you purposely breed a mixed breed? Or a "Pit Bull" breed when so many are PTS or sit in shelters in need of loving homes?

Sorry if I come off rude, I am extremely curious to know your view.

Copper'sMom
July 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Why would you purposely breed a mixed breed? Or a "Pit Bull" breed when so many are PTS or sit in shelters in need of loving homes?

Sorry if I come off rude, I am extremely curious to know your view.

I was thinking the exact same thing! :mad:

jessi76
July 6th, 2005, 12:22 PM
When I get pics I will post them, Hopefully Diesel starts gaining interest in Keno as a female instead of just a playmate and I will be able to post pictures of their offspring soon too.

I hope you don't post offspring pics "soon". You say your female is only 11mths old. and the male is 5mths... of course they are gonna act like playmates, they are both still puppies!

Bullilover, your pup is precious!

mona_b
July 6th, 2005, 06:09 PM
we plan on breeding them together.

Oh great,another flippin BYB.... :mad: :evil:

Do all the shelters a favour and get them fixed.

Lucky Rescue
July 6th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Well, there are only 7,321 AB's, pit bulls, Amstaffs and mixes of these breeds on Petfinder alone, never mind how many are in all the hundreds of shelter who aren't on Petfinder.

I guess this person feels a need to increase that number.

Breeding pit mixes - very intelligent and ethical. Congrats. :mad:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 6th, 2005, 09:20 PM
....Keno is 11 months and Diesel is 5 months, we plan on breeding them together.

:eek: Oh pleaasseee dont just enjoy your wonderful dogs as they are as pets I know you will get many years enjoyment out of them without bringing more puppies into the world.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 6th, 2005, 10:53 PM
american bulldog

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 6th, 2005, 10:54 PM
american bulldog and pitbull spot the difference

Auntie Venom
July 17th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Yukon Chime,

I find it really hard to understand why you are considering breeding your dogs. Considering the amount of purebred and mix's of your two breeds of dogs that are already homeless, why would you want to add to that? Since you think it is OK to breed your dogs together, would you be spaying or neutering the puppies before they go to new homes? Will you have them CERF, OFA, & Brucellosis tested? Responsible breeders have those and many other tests done to all of their breeding stock before even considering breeding, and that is really only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to breeding pets. Are you prepared for complications associated with breeding? C-sections costs are usually $800.00 to $1400.00 and can end up in the death of the mother and some or all of the pups. Pups can also be born stillborn or malformed. Some birth defects include cleft palate, abnormally large or small to no eyes, missing limbs, and their internal organs being developed on the outside of their bodies. Death of the mother leaves the owners with hourly feedings, massaging pups to increase motility, and wiping their bottoms to induce urination and bowel movements. By the time you are done, you get to start all over again! Pups also cost money, vet exams, fecal testing, vaccines, and food/laundry/dishes. Responsible breeders break even with the cost if they are lucky.

If your dogs are wonderful pets, please keep them that way and have them spayed and neutered. The offspring will not be carbon copies of their parents. If you really want a dog like yours, or would like to supply wonderful dogs to friends or others, research responsible breeders who may occasionally have pups for sale. You could even talk to the breeder of your dogs, but I wonder if they are BYB's as well.

Yes I am offended by your interest in breeding your dogs to make mutts. Yes I am very involved in rescue. Last but certainly not least, Yes I have had to hold pets while they die in my arms due to overpopulation and the lack of education by people who want to breed their pets.

Please do your dogs and us rescues/shelters/pounds a favour, spay and neuter your pets.

:pawprint: