Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This is fun? Not

Maggieandme
September 4th, 2009, 02:16 PM
My two and a half year old cat Maggie has in the last few weeks displayed some pretty obnoxious behavior.
She has always had access to our bedroom and would lay quietly at the foot of the bed for as long as she stayed. A few weeks ago she started kneading me while I slept. When I woke up screaming she would run away. This is fun.
I finally retaliated by shutting the bedroom door.
She has retaliated with sneak attacks during the day. She doesn't usually do it hard enough to break skin but last night she got my bare foot and drew blood. She is by nature aloof and independent but not mean. She seems genuinely fond of me.
She doesn't have any medical issues, no lifestyle changes and gets plenty of attention and exercise.
Help
Maggie and me.:frustrated:

14+kitties
September 4th, 2009, 02:21 PM
So why is it obnoxious? She loves you very much. She is showing you she wants to get comfy on you. All she is trying to do is to soften you up. Just like a big fluffy pillow. :D If she didn't love you she wouldn't do this. I think she isn't as aloof as you think. :thumbs up :cloud9:
If it is painful keep her claws trimmed short. That's what I do with mine. It doesn't hurt near as bad.

BenMax
September 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
If my 6 cats did not do this to me I would be worried. She is trying to play with you and get your attention.

She is not being obnoxious, she is saying that she wants to play and you are her best friend so why not you???

Trim her nails and it will save the soles of your feet. She wants love is all.

Maggieandme
September 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. Maggie is my first cat and I am still learning.
Maybe kneading is not the appropriate word here, it is more like pouncing. She hits and runs.
The trimming of her nails will definitely help. These solutions don't always come to my mind for some reason.:o

BenMax
September 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM
There is no malice in what she is doing. They are mostly active at night. She just wants more cuddling and playing. Brush her everyday as this is also very pleasurable to them....(some cats anyways....).

Closing the door to her is not going to solve the affection that she wishes to share with you.

Macomom
September 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I don't have a cat, but I imagine the midnight pounce can be quite alarming!
Maybe you need shin pads while you are indoors...:laughing:

Bailey_
September 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Especially if she's your only cat, she's obviously going to turn to you for attention and playtime. Just because you're sleeping, doesn't exactly take you out of the picture for her.

Our female cat, Moo, plays simliarly, but usually pounces on our dogs. (Especially their tails.) It's just her way of entertaining herself and to burn off some of that energy. :thumbs up

MyBirdIsEvil
September 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
That is just the nature of cats. Clip her claws and it should at least help with the pain lol.

chico2
September 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
As I am writing this,wearing shorts,one of my cats is kneading my lap,yeah,it stings a little...but I could always put him down,I don't because he is enjoying himself.

How about you getting another cat?? That way your girl will spend most of her energy on her playmate:cat:

lUvMyLaB<3
September 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM
ooh i love that! When tickles kneads me i say thank u i needed to be kneaded! Means she loves me! Aww. . And dont close the door she doesnt want to be locked out alone, perhaps get some cat toys and play with her, satisfy her prey drive so she doesnt hunt you.

ancientgirl
September 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I've got only 3 that actively come and knead me. Two do this at night, which causes me to wake up. After less than a minute they settle in agianst me and rest.

Kiska does pounce my feet, but if I lay still she won't attack the monster under the cover.:laughing:

She just wants to be near you and have some attention.

Maggieandme
September 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone.
Maggie is a special girl. She came to us from a feral colony on the outskirts of our village. She was pregnant and emaciated when she arrived, living under our deck for most of that first summer.
The socialization of Maggie has been very challenging. She had not spent a night indoors before she was spayed.
We would love to cuddle and snuggle with her but she is uncomfortable and only tolerates it for short periods of time. She has occasionally sat on my lap but prefers to sit beside me.
We have trimmed her nails but she is still taking a swipe at me as she goes by.
This too shall pass.:cat:

ancientgirl
September 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Maggieandme, how long have you actually had Maggie?

I have a tortie girl, who was a stray for about 3 years. She wasn't totally feral, but only allowed few people to get near her. I was able to gain her trust and after one failed attempt to bring her indoors, I was able to give it a second try and she's been inside with me and the rest of the gang for a little over a year now.

When I first brought her inside, she only would sit on my lap for a few minutes now and then. Picking her up to put her in a carrier was putting my life on the line, and forget about trimming her nails.

Now she will allow me to pick her up when I need to move her or put her in the carrier, she loves sitting on my lap, lets me trim her nails now and then, and the best part, she cuddles and sleeps in my arms when it's bed time. She rarely meows, she coos.

It took her a while to do all of this. Don't count Maggie out yet as far as cuddling.:D

Jim Hall
September 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM
bring a toyto bed when she goes for the feet, redirect her

lol welcome to catdom

Maggieandme
September 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Maggie has been with us for a little more than 2 years now. It has been a learning experience for all of us. We had not owned a cat and she had not owned a family.
Sugarcatmom has helped us alot with her health issues, she was in such poor condition she barely survived the spay. She is the picture of health now.
The adjustment to indoor life is still an ongoing issue and likely will be. She hasn't shredded any screens this year and once when I had bronchitis she actually layed beside me all night. That was huge for us.
I don't expect she will ever be the cat most other people have but we love her.