Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Fleas-need alternative treatment

DocRaceHer
September 4th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Hi, we've just noticed flea excrements off 2 of my cats yesterday.

We've bathe all of them in a vinager and water solution, cleaned all bed sheets and pet beds, vaccumed couch and bed matress, steamed floors and curtains, trew away small carpets.

As a first step! Now, is there a safe product for my pets, my family and the environment, that would eliminate the problem? I'm pretty sure it's only been a couple of days, since I comb them daily...and they hardly ever scratch themselves!

How do you differenciate between eggs and dander? Is there a home test?

Thanks for your proven suggestions!

Tanya :fingerscr

14+kitties
September 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Revolution - you get it from a vet.

sugarcatmom
September 4th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Here's a good article on some less toxic flea remedies: http://www.eartheasy.com/article_natural_flea_control.htm
Vaccuming and grooming with a flea comb really are the best solutions if the problem isn't severe. Beneficial nematodes can be used in grassy outside areas (they eat flea larvae), and if you need something extra to control inside fleas, try Buck Mountain Parasite Dust (http://www.buckmountainbotanicals.net/treatments/parasitedust.html) (just make sure no pets inhale it).

BenMax
September 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Revolution - you get it from a vet.

That is what I used recently when I brought in a new foster but did not see a vet first....(emergency pull (Peaches))....that thought me not to be so darn impulsive!:frustrated: (oh but worth it in the end..:))

14+kitties
September 4th, 2009, 12:20 PM
That is what I used recently when I brought in a new foster but did not see a vet first....(emergency pull (Peaches))....that thought me not to be so darn impulsive!:frustrated: (oh but worth it in the end..:))

:sorry::offtopic: How is the wonderful Peaches?

BenMax
September 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
:sorry::offtopic: How is the wonderful Peaches?

:offtopic:....but kinda on since she had flees:laughing::sad:. She is doing amazing....and fleeless now ...along with 6 cats and 2 dogs:sad::mad:. Talk about $$$ for the next 3 months. But yeah - revolution works well and I did the normal scrubbing, vaccuming and washing everything that was material ..that is about 98% of my house hold goods...:frustrated:

Oh but I love them all, and flees are just part of this I guess...

14+kitties
September 4th, 2009, 12:46 PM
:offtopic:....but kinda on since she had flees:laughing::sad:. She is doing amazing....and fleeless now ...along with 6 cats and 2 dogs:sad::mad:. Talk about $$$ for the next 3 months. But yeah - revolution works well and I did the normal scrubbing, vaccuming and washing everything that was material ..that is about 98% of my house hold goods...:frustrated:

Oh but I love them all, and flees are just part of this I guess...

:cloud9: Wonderful!! Fleas are the least of her problems. But she is doing so well thanks to you!! :highfive: We can expect pics soon? And a thread of her own? :rolleyes:
$$$ What are they ? Mine all go to feed two dogs and 30some kitties. :D And I love it!!
I agree. Normal cleaning, vaccuuming, etc gets rid of fleas. Not so sure about a vinegar/water dip for the kitties. :shrug:

BenMax
September 4th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Never heard of vinegar dip unless on my fries...

I got rescue rate for the revolution. Free for Peaches and another rescue but Julia plus 5 cats and 1 other foster cat cost me 78.00$ a month for the next 3 months...blahhh - like I need that!:frustrated::o:)

DocRaceHer
September 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Never heard of vinegar dip unless on my fries...

I got rescue rate for the revolution. Free for Peaches and another rescue but Julia plus 5 cats and 1 other foster cat cost me 78.00$ a month for the next 3 months...blahhh - like I need that!:frustrated::o:)

I figured, vinegar kills everything and is harmless to humans and pets....the smell alone probably helped repulse future fleas.

Most of the alternative approaches I found on the web, I will be using as a preventive measure, once the problem is resolved.

I took the vets advice and gave them Advantage by Bayer's, so far so go!

Thanks all, for you reply and links.