Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Zoe's newest job

dogcatharmony
September 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
I have to laugh, Zoe just likes to mother things.

I have two new babies in my currant bush near the house. Two baby gold finches hatched a few days ago and Zoe has taken to guarding the bush. She lays there all morning while the parents are feeding the babies, they don't seem to mind her at all. She snaps bugs out of the air that get too close to the bush, and then last night she was laying there and suddenly went on alert and into protect mode. I knew something was close by but couldn't see anything, either could my neighbour. Zoe started stalking something, and then chased a cat out of the near by bushes that was creeping up on the nest.

:thumbs up Way to go Zoe.

My neighbour is an avid bird watcher, and she gets a laugh watching Zoe all day. She went and bought finch food and put to socks of it up in the two nearest trees, so the parents don't need to go far for food.

So they have food and protection.......and Zoe gets to do a job!!!

hazelrunpack
September 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Yay for Zoe! :highfive: She's got such wonderful character! Even the birds recognize it. :D

I absolutely adore Zoe :flirt:

14+kitties
September 3rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Good girl Zoe!! :thumbs up You are a doll looking after the babies!! But don't hurt the kitty. :eek:

ownedbycats
September 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Protector Zoe:clap: Is this the neighbour you were having so much trouble with? If so, sounds like Zoe has turned her into a fan:D

dogcatharmony
September 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
here are a few shots i took of her. Wish I could take pics of the babies, but I don't want to stress the parents. Zoe loves kitties to much to hurt them, chase them yes.....not allowed to chase indoor kitties though.

Yep noisy babies

Good, get the food to them, quiet them down some

Hmmmmm......don't mess with my birdies!

ancientgirl
September 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
LOL, the last photo is priceless. What a sweet girl.

Marcha
September 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Awww! What a sweetheart! :lovestruck:

Tundra_Queen
September 3rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
What a good girl Zoe!

Don't scare away all the bugs though, cause that's what mommy and daddy bird feed the babies. :D

chico2
September 3rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Aww what a good girl Zoe is,watching the baby-birdies:lovestruck:

Love4himies
September 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Oh my goodness, what a sweetheart Zoe is :cloud9: :lovestruck:. Bet momma bird loves having her own security guard :laughing:

MommaKat
September 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
WOW! That's really amazing . I love it when you post stuff about Zoe. Good job Zoe :lovestruck: .

kandy
September 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Too funny! Well, maybe the kitty didn't think so.

That's so nice of Zoe to protect the babies!

growler~GateKeeper
September 5th, 2009, 12:32 AM
WTG Zoe :thumbs up

catlover2
September 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM
What a wonderful dog she is! What a great story...should be in a kid's book. "Zoe the wonder dog". BTW, am curious of her background -- kinda looks like a husky/malinois mix.

Magicwildwolf69
September 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
aww what a sweetie! :lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck: such a good protector. poor kitty was thinking easy lunch and had a run for its money :laughing:

Frenchy
September 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
What a good girl she is ! :cloud9:

dogcatharmony
September 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The babies took their first flight, first to the willow tree then to the feeder. Zoe follows them everywhere. I got a few pics.

And catlover2, she is part Chow and Norwegian Elkhound.....with a big heart!

chico2
September 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
DCH,We had a dog,when we lived in Sweden,who was a Chow/Shepard mix,a wonderful dog,very protective of her family,maybe it's a Chow-trait:confused:

mollywog
September 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
aww Zoe, so cute. Must be the mothering instinct :lovestruck: