Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my pooor dog

karen's zoo
August 19th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Hi all this new to me....I wanted ask an opinion. I have a 11 yr old yellow lab. She had a small lump on her flank. I took her to the vet and he told me it was nothing to worry about it was just a fat lump. Within six months it had doubled in size. My daughter was working for anothr vet and he looked oat it and said he would jsut leave it alone. He figured if we opened her up to remove it she would probably die. Now it is like a basketball size. It doesn't seem to cause he pain. She still goes on a 6 mile walk everyday and chases bunnies and swims. I just don't know if I should get yet another opinion or just leave well enough alone. Thanks :confused:

krdahmer
August 19th, 2004, 07:36 AM
I myself am not a dog owner, but if it really is "basketball" in size I would seek another opinion. And just so you know you came to the right place! There are many dog owners who will chime in any moment now with helpful advice. ;)

LavenderRott
August 19th, 2004, 07:47 AM
I think I would find a new vet. Did your vet run any tests on it? My girl has a fatty tumor on her front leg. The vet did a needle aspiration in January. The size hasn't changed at all.

karen's zoo
August 19th, 2004, 07:57 AM
:) I can't believe how fast I got a resonse. I have had two vets look at her and I thought maybe I would try and contact the Guelph Univercity, for two reasons, one to get an opinion and the other to see if it would be of interest to students

huskylord
August 19th, 2004, 08:20 AM
My wife's family had a yellow lab (Princie..rip) that developed a growth right by his anus. They had the vet check it out and he recommended they leave it alone (considering his age and health at the time). It was real hard on my father-in-law at the time as Prince doing his business would mess himself. But he loved that dog and would do anything for him. In the end, Prince devolped other fatty deposits, but as the vet explained, those were part and parcel of owning a lab in the latter stages of life.

My dog Nakiska (a husky rip) developed a growth near her mouth (again in her senior years). It would get bloody when she layed her head down on the ground. We had it removed once, but couldn't get rid of it all as there were many veins and other tissues involved and had to consider her age and the effects of too much anethstetic. In the end, the growth came back but we did all we could do for her.

I guess the best I could say is that dogs, old age, and growths are very common. Most advice you'll get from vets (I believe) is to leave them alone unless they are interrupting an important daily function (such as eating, walking, bathroom). But the growths tend to bother the owner more than the dog (in many cases).

Good luck to you and your doggie.

Goldenmom
August 19th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Our lab Jasmine, who was put down at the age of 13 because of old age, had these "fatty deposits". If this is what your vet thinks this is, there is nothing to worry about. A fatty deposit will move around when you push it from side to side, anything else will just stay there and be a lump.

Jasmine had these all over her body. We choose not to test them and put her through all that and anaesthetic. This is very hard on an older dog.

Our vet told us that she had them because of "the good life".

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Goldenmom
August 19th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Now it is like a basketball size.

Are you exaggerating? Basketball??????????

Heather
:confused:

karen's zoo
August 19th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Yes, Annie's lump is with out a doubt as big as a basketball. It does move around and appears to be fluidy. It kinda flops around when she runs. I feel like I should put some sort of sling on her it must be uncomfortable. But as I said before she doesn't seem to pay much attention to it. And she is a true lab still clears tables with her tail and is always bouncy and happy.

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 10:13 AM
So you live in Ontario??

Where? If you are near Guelph then go there, if you're closer to Toronto get a referral to the VEC downtown!!

I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be for your dog

karen's zoo
August 19th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Yes I am in London, I have horses and have to use Guelph, it is about an hour away. I would take her anywhere if I knew it would help. I know given her age she will not be with me for much longer, but if surgery would help her I would do it. Or if students could learn something from this to help others I would do that to. Thanks for the other opinions I have recieved this is great. P.S. I am at work and it is making my day go by faster ;)

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Guelph is supposed to be FANTASTIC!!

So you won't have any worries by going there.

Spoiled
August 19th, 2004, 06:37 PM
That must hurt. Can you "drain" these lumps? :confused:

Goldenmom
August 19th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Can you post a picture of the lump? I am still having a very hard time with the "basketball" size lump. Baseball, yes, I can understand, but basketball? I don't know how your dog can run with it that large?

To answer someone else's question about the fatty deposit being drained. No, they can be removed, but they aren't causing the dog any pain or harm, they just look ugly! If the owner can put up with it, then usually the dog has no problems.

heidiho
August 19th, 2004, 06:45 PM
So am i..That cant be for real..

karen's zoo
August 20th, 2004, 09:07 AM
I will try and get a digital camera and take a pic and post it. The lump is on on her flank and the top part of her leg and goes under her belly. It started on her flank and when I first noticed it it was about the size of a walnut. And that is when I first went to the vet, and was told that it was hamless and that labs get these all the time. Then when it grew I took her to another vet and he basically said the same thing. given her agae and what it was leave it alone. It is ugly and I find that when she goes bounding up to ppl they kinda go ewww what is wrong with her can't you do something about that. But as I mentioned before she still runs like a pup swims etc. She never licks it or pays much attention to it she lays on that side to, and when she does it just moves more uneer neath her. to touch it is fluidy and does move.

Goldenmom
August 20th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Wow! I haven't seen one that big. My girl had one about the size of a baseball on her side that protruded. Ugly as sin, but we still told her she was beautiful every day!

Only because you asked for opinions, will I give you mine.

The life span of labs is between 10-13, Goldens are 10-12. If this lump is not causing any problems to your dog, I wouldn't put her through any unnecessary tests or surgery. If it moves around etc. I am sure your vets are correct and its just a fatty deposit. I don't know if these can be drained, I was never told of that option.

Your dog is healthy and happy right now. So many things can go wrong with testing and surgery/anaesthetic. I would leave well enough alone.

I foster for Lab Rescue of Ontario and one of the boys I just had was 12 and he had one also. Just lumpy, but thats it. He is still active and loving life with his new home.

Just my 2 cents worth.

karen's zoo
August 20th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Thanks Heather for the info. I guess I just need confirmation from others to say it ok to leave it. This dog has been with me since she was 8 weeks old. She has helped me through so many of life's problems I hate the thought of losing her I surely don't want to speed up the process. Now tell me more about the lab rescue I have never heard of that. :)

Goldenmom
August 20th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Thanks Heather for the info. I guess I just need confirmation from others to say it ok to leave it. This dog has been with me since she was 8 weeks old. She has helped me through so many of life's problems I hate the thought of losing her I surely don't want to speed up the process. Now tell me more about the lab rescue I have never heard of that. :)

What! Never heard of Lab Rescue?? Are you in Ontario? If you are, I would love to tell you more!

Heather

karen's zoo
August 20th, 2004, 09:42 AM
yes I live in Ontario in a little village west of London. We live out in the country and have lots of woods and trails to run in. I also have a 1 yr old 104 lb rottie. 4 birds, and 2 cats, and out of six kids one boomarang child left at home. (she keeps leaving and comming back) oh yes and I have 2 horses that are away teaching young kids to ride. ;)

Goldenmom
August 20th, 2004, 09:45 AM
yes I live in Ontario in a little village west of London. We live out in the country and have lots of woods and trails to run in. I also have a 1 yr old 104 lb rottie. 4 birds, and 2 cats, and out of six kids one boomarang child left at home. (she keeps leaving and comming back) oh yes and I have 2 horses that are away teaching young kids to ride. ;)

Karen, here is my email address, send me an email and I will tell you what its all about. I am also involved with Golden Rescue. I live in Waterloo

fortheluvofgoldens@rogers.com

Thanks!
Heather