Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mystery flower?

chico2
September 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
This one not even my plant guru(14+)could say for sure what it is,it's the last of my plants to bloom.
Very distinct dark-green leaves,lots of buds,also,it's about 4 1/2 foot tall.
I know I bought it a couple of years ago,but totally forgot what it was..anybody??

Also one more of my Hibiscus..

mollywog
September 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
I was gonna guess Hollyhock but I think their leaves are more of a club shape... :shrug: but please take more pics once it blooms!!

Marcha
September 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
It looks like Aconitum, or Monk's Hood. It's about the time of year for it to be in bud too... mine's about to flower. The flowers are most likely a shade of iridiscent blue.

14+kitties
September 2nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
That looks like that's what the plant is chico. If that's the case I would be very careful with it around the kitties. It is very poisonous. The articles are even saying to use gloves when working with it. :eek: It's a very pretty plant but yikes!!

http://www.vincelewis.net/monkshood.html

clm
September 2nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Looks like monkshood to me too. Beautiful plants, but I pulled all mine once the neighbours started having grandkids. They were by our mutal fence and I was afraid as it is so poisenous. I would have pulled them with Bentley around too. None of my other animals bothered with it, but I wouldn't trust Bentley with it.

clm

mollywog
September 2nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
:eek: I never knew it was so deadly!! My mom has some in her garden so I forwarded her the link. Thanks! :highfive:

Marcha
September 2nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Yes, it's one of the very toxic ones, like delphinium (larkspur), laburnum (golden rain) and lily-of-the-valley.

hazelrunpack
September 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Uh-oh...larkspurs are poisonous? *hazel hastily scratches something off her spring garden list*

aslan
September 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
The flowers don't look like monkshood tho. They look along the lines of, ummmm crap total brain fart...When you buy them you can get them where the tree stump can be twisted around each other.

Marcha
September 2nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yes, larkspur can even be fatal - not just cause digestive or skin irritations. All parts of the larkspur are equally toxic.

Don't know if there's already a list of plants that are toxic to pets, but I find this one very useful:

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/information/atozofdogs/p/poisonoussubstances/poisonousplants/

Marcha
September 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
The flowers don't look like monkshood tho. They look along the lines of, ummmm crap total brain fart...When you buy them you can get them where the tree stump can be twisted around each other.

The photos in the first post are buds - not the actual flowers yet.

aslan
September 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
i remember i remember, Hibiscus....kinda look like the rose of sharon flower too, but the tree is different.

aslan
September 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
The photos in the first post are buds - not the actual flowers yet.

that's what i meant, the picture of the actual flower doesn't look like monkshood. ok i'm an idiot, i just reread what chico2 said, it looks like Hibiscus cause it is, going back to bed now.

Marcha
September 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Heehee! Aslan - I was thrown off by that at first too. I looked at the first two and thought Monk's Hood. Then I saw that third one and thought NO WAY! Then I read the words in the post. I'm so much more of a visual person, that my close reading skills tend to go right out the window when there's a photo involved.

hazelrunpack
September 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the link, Marcha. I bookmarked it! :thumbs up

chico2
September 3rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Aslan:laughing::laughing:,you're a hoot:dog:
I looked through all my plant-books yesterday and suspected Monkshood and it says every part of the plant is poisonous :yell:
I was trimming my butter-fly bush and came in contact with that plant,14+ knows how close my plants are,a real mess.
My legs got all itchy since I was wearing shorts:frustrated:
I'll wait until it blooms,then out it comes.
The cats don't usually go in there,it's so dense this year,but you never know.

14+kitties
September 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, there are a lot of very deadly plants we put in our gardens and don't give a second thought. Hopefully if there are pets around the plants a lot we are keeping a very close eye on them to see if they are eating or playing with the plants.
All I am saying is to be careful. I know chico's kitties are in the gardens quite a bit with their nip so wanted to make her aware of the toxicity of the plant. Thankfully chico is one very intelligent lady!! :thumbs up

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/?section=species&id=85

Oh and chico - I wouldn't call your beds a real mess! They are beautiful!! :cloud9: Once my seeding is done I can start deadheading all my plants. :rolleyes:

chico2
September 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Don't worry 14+,the cats are never outside on their own and they don't really eat plants,other than their nip and grass.
I did a big clean-up in the gardens yesterday,I'll leave the seeding for you:laughing:

chico2
September 16th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Well,here it is,finally blooming looks like a monks Hood to me,it will be removed for sure,but it's pretty right now in my messy garden.

hazelrunpack
September 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Oh, wow, chico! That's gorgeous! So is there no place you can put it where it's safely out of the kitties' reach?

chico2
September 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I think it's safe where it is,my cats are only interested in their cat-nip,but when I was dead-heading a plant beside it,while wearing shorts,my legs got really itchy.
I could put it in the front,my cats never leave the backyard.
It is really pretty,very tall.

doggy lover
September 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I have that in my cottage garden too, maybe a good idea to remove it yep yep. I only planted them this year too, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

chico2
September 17th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Doggy lover,I think I remember you showing us that beautiful"cottage"as it was being built :confused:or am I wrong??
It looks like a dream:lovestruck:

doggy lover
September 17th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Yep your right not confused, its mostly done now some stuff to do on the inside but that is a winter job. We have spent most of the summer on the gardens, restaining the house and things that needed to be done on the outside. Just wish I could live there all the time now.

Shaykeija
September 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM
That is a delphinium. I have them in my garden also. my dogs don't bother them along with the Lily of the valley.

14+kitties
September 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Monkshood
Delphinium

Very similar. Monkshood flowers in the fall Sept/Oct. Delphinium flowers late spring/early summer with a second flush (if you're lucky) about 2 or 3 weeks later.