Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some sleep!

CarlaD
August 19th, 2004, 07:04 AM
I don't post here often, but I need help again!

Charlie is a 12 week old beagle and he is not a very good sleeper.

He goes to bed around 10:00 -10:30 when we go to bed and falls asleep right away. Then he wakes up at 2:00 am to go to the bathroom which is fine because he goes when we take him out. But then when he comes back in he is awake for the rest of the night. He will scratch, play or cry. We had his crate in the spare room and he would cry at the top of his lungs when he went back in at 2:00 am, so we moved him into our bedroom. He does not cry at the top of his lungs in our bedroom but he still keeps us awake.

We have not had a full night sleep since we got him, and it is getting pretty sad! Willy was never like this, he slept through the night as soon as we brought him home.

I totally understand that he is still a puppy, but I thought that there might be a trick!

He is very active. He gets two walks a day and he plays for about 4 hours in the backyard with Willy once we get home, and they are play fighting basically for the whole time, so he is very active. We have tried putting a piece of our clothing in the crate, giving him a stuffed animal putting a radio in the room.

We are at a loss!

GunnerX
August 19th, 2004, 07:49 AM
I've heard a couple of people telling me to put a ticking clock as this simulates their mother's heartbeat. I'm not sure it works because all our clocks are digital!

When we first got Ariel, she would whine and cry all through the night. We didn't get any sleep at all. One night I just took her out of the crate sat on the couch with her on my lap and we both slept that way. However, after one week, she just stopped crying. After waking up in the morning without being disturbed, my wife and I looked at each other wondering if we didn't hear her at all!

How long have you had Charlie? Maybe it takes some time for him to get comfortable with the environment.

CarlaD
August 19th, 2004, 08:26 AM
We have now had Charlie for 4 weeks. The first two were better than what it is now.

Then he got really sick, and we got up with him every 30 minutes, and for three nights I didn't sleep at all. Now that he is feeling better, I thought that he would go back to sleeping and he has not.

Goldenmom
August 19th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Carla, this too shall pass. It is very true when people state that pups are just like babies. Some sleep well, some don't.

A trick that may help is to put a blanket around the crate in your bedroom. This makes the crate more "den" like for the pup and more comfortable.

When you take the dog out during the night, just pick him up, take him out, praise, and put right back in the crate. No talking, no treats, no nothing.

It will probably be a couple more weeks until he is getting more comfortable. You did the right thing with putting him in your room with you though They get lonely.

Sometimes on bad nights I would sleep on the couch with the pup in its crate beside me on the floor, so not to wake everyone else.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

CarlaD
August 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will put a sheet around the crate to create more of a den like atmosphere!

We will keep him in our room until he gets a bit more comfortable.

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Hey if you dont' mind let him sleep with you in your room keep the crate door open.

As Goldenmom says 'this too shall pass'

I went through the same thing :D

Cactus Flower
August 19th, 2004, 12:14 PM
I think the pup got used to you being "up with him every thirty minutes" when he was sick and is not eager to give that up! :D

Yeeeees, this will pass, in time.

PicturesPicturesPictures....

CarlaD
August 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM
I posted some pics for you in "Pictures"

TalonsMa
August 19th, 2004, 12:30 PM
We just got our pup this past w/e, and she cried almost every 1 hour the first night, the second night we put her in our room (in crate) with a ticking clock, she cried about every 2 hours. Then we put her in the landing with a blanket around her crate, and a clock radio for music / talking. Didn't hear a pee out of her til morning!!! :) Now she will sleep from about 9pm, then I'll take her out for one more pee around 11pm (I do as Goldenmom stated, pick her up, outside, praise and back to bed - no playing etc) then she will sleep til around 6-6:30am :)

Cactus Flower
August 19th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Oh yes and don't think for a minute I missed them!

Just begging for more... :D