Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hey there...new member with question...

Enjolras
August 19th, 2004, 03:22 AM
hi...was doing a search on pet forums because i have a question and found this place :)

I adopted a GSD from the kennel several months ago...her name is Reagan. shes been quite the handful until lately, and shes turned into a great puppy!

a few days or so ago i noticed her left eyelid was losing pigmentation and swelling a bit. was very minor at first, but has gotten worse. dunno why this is happening, and i figured before i go to the vet in a day or two i'd ask around to find out if this is a)normal or b)something that can be fixed easily and inexpensively.

she had a mosquito bite right above her eye and was scratching it a bit...that swelled, then this started happening. i'm putting a couple pics of her (including an eye pic). the bite (or scratched) area has gotten a lot better, and is starting to heal nicely. the eye is starting to worry me.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.members.aol.com/enjolras15/Reagan2.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/enjolras15/eyelid.jpg

the pink areas of her eyelid were black...

Lady_Eleven
August 19th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Very cute pup! yeah I see what you mean. To be honest I'm not completely sure, but I'd take a guess that all the scratching caused like a scraping effect and caused the pinkness. Not sure if the black will come back though. But if your dog is able to see perfectly still, has stopped scratching, and there is no problem like swelling irritation or infection, I couldn't think that the pinkness would be a problem even if it did stay (unless the dog is a show dog, and there's some kind of point reduction for that, I don't know).

My parents dog who started out with a black nose, gums and eyelids had them all go pink to allergies. Ofcourse they didn't know this was the case until she was much older; but not to say that's your issue as by the sounds of it it's only one eyelid and probably because of the scratching / bite. See what others say here (maybe they've had the same experience), and if you're bringing her to the vet, just make sure to ask about it.

She looks like such a happy girl! :p

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Gee I dont' know what to say except be careful, so close to the eye. You may wanna let your vet look at it.

She is a very very pretty girl :D

Enjolras
August 19th, 2004, 03:31 PM
thanks for the replies and compliments! ;)

her eye looked a bit better today, and it doesn't seem to be bugging her...if i end up taking her in in a few days i'll post results here :)