Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bryant

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 07:43 AM
For those of you who don't know Bryant, he was the attorney general in Ontario when the BSL was legislated.

If this is indeed true, this just proves what an a$$hole he is. I hope they throw the book at him if he is guilty. I bike into work and my heart goes out to all those bikers who get hit by cars because of jacka$$ drivers.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090901/fatal_collision_090901/20090901?hub=Toronto

Melinda
September 1st, 2009, 07:58 AM
I hope they put a muzzle on him and keep him on a short leash, what a man to look up to, I've lived on pins and needles all summer as my son rides to and from work in ottawa daily, scares the heart out of me when you hear all the accidents

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM
I bike 30kms along Hwy 2 and there are some drivers that won't move over and if I stuck my hand out, my hand would hit their mirror and they are going between 80-100km/hr. Very scary. It is 6 AM so there is very little traffic going the other way, mostly the same direction as me so there is no reason for the drivers not to move over.

Melinda
September 1st, 2009, 08:32 AM
is there not a bike path for you along highway #2? we have one along our part of it but for some reason the bikes still travel along the highways, scares me and believe me, I give them a wide berth, do you were a helmet young lady??

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 08:37 AM
is there not a bike path for you along highway #2? we have one along our part of it but for some reason the bikes still travel along the highways, scares me and believe me, I give them a wide berth, do you were a helmet young lady??

Check the shoulders of the road, they may be in poor shape or there may be too much gravel/mud on them to use a road/racing bike on.

Yes, there is a 2-3 foot shoulder, but it is not maintained so at times I have to go on the hwy. There are farmers along there that have made such a mess that it is not possible to bike on the shoulder with a road bike.

And, yes I wear a helmet, I would never consider riding without one ;).

Ford
September 1st, 2009, 08:43 AM
I've moved this here just because traditionally, anything to do with Bryant or the provincial Liberals have been discussed here.

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,
Ford

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks Ford.

Update:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/former-ontario-ag-under-arrest/article1271489/

OMG if this is true, this man is evil.

Melinda
September 1st, 2009, 08:57 AM
ohmy lord!!! and he was driving a convertible???? how could you not see the bike and man!!! definately pure evilness...I hope they throw the book at him!!

side note-love4, we have a paved bike path about 10 feet from the road on highway #2

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 09:14 AM
Oh he saw him and he tried to get the biker off the car. Then after the biker fell to his death, Bryant sped off, leaving the biker to die. This man is truely evil.

This just makes me sick, that poor defenseless biker :sad: :cry:

:rip: :candle:

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM
side note-love4, we have a paved bike path about 10 feet from the road on highway #2

Then the pathway may be too rough for road bikes, their tires are thin and will get caught in the cracks.

Melinda
September 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM
they better throw the book at him, I can't believe a human could do this to another....I'm watching it on the news now

SnowDancer
September 1st, 2009, 11:26 AM
I am a very careful driver and a I do watch out for people riding bicycles and motorcycles - I JUST WISH THEY WOULD DO THE SAME. Some do, but others prefer to think of themselves as pedestrians when it suits them. I can't tell you how many near misses I have had with bicycles - none of which would have been my fault. I know of 2 people who planned being "doored" on purpose - so that they could sue and get new bikes - and then bragged about it. They just made sure the cars were not going too fast. The fact that it is Michael Bryant who was the driver has nothing whatsoever to do with this - Pit Bulls or not. I have met Michael Bryant and I do not like him - but this is a separate issue. If I ever do run into a bicycle - I will feel awful - but not guilty. Flame away - I am far from the only person who feels this way. Just ask someone who owns and rides bicycles/motorcycles - but also drives. Getting a car put a whole new spin on things for them.

Schwinn
September 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM
I don't get on too much anymore with the girls and a pooched 'puter, but I saw this this morning and wanted to post in here, thinking the ol'd BSL-forum crowd would check in on this one.

Interestingly to me, when I heard the news, I didn't feel any joy at him being in hot water (never minding that someone is dead, because I'd never feel joy at that). For the longer members who remembered my promise to plough Bryant if I ever met him face to face (and my apology for reneging when I unexpectedly did :D), I thought I would have felt some small satisfaction at him being in trouble, but I didn't. I remember thinking, "I wanted karma to eat this guy, but not like this". Listening to the coverage, however, I did feel a bit smug when I found out that the accident took place while he was driving with a blond who was not his wife. THAT was the kind of thing I wanted karma to do.

I'm actually more angry as a cyclist than a pitbull owner. The pictures of the bike is a high-end road bike, so chances are, this wasn't some guy riding like a goof getting into it with some guy in a car. I've read lots about people saying things that a cyclist had no business hanging off of someone's car and should have let go. What I can tell you is that if you push into a cyclist and knock him sideways, he's going to lean into you to prevent falling over, and chances of him being able to recover at speed and next to nil. I don't know how he wound up hanging on, but I'm confident in speculating that he was afraid to let go. Also, Bryant steered himself into objects to knock off the cyclist. That's willful disregard for human life. Looking at the bike, chances are this guy was riding in full race kit (spandex shorts or bib, spandex shirt), so I'm pretty sure that the threat he posed was minimal, especially considering Bryant is a former boxer. It'd be like me at 5'8" and over 200 lbs getting into an altercation and beating someone senseless. If it were a 6'5" 350 lb man, I'd have an arguement, but were it a 5' 100 lb woman, it wouldn't wash.

Honestly, I have a feeling that both parties acted like jerks, but Bryant took it way over the edge when he decided to play Mad Max with his car.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out, and what kind of pull he still has with McGuinty, and if there is any effect on the case. I suspect there won't be, and that weasel Ben Chin was probably whispering in McGuinty's ear "Throw him under the bus!"

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Dog Dancer:

I can't believe you would say this. A biker is defenseless against a car and sometimes there are things on the road that can cause a biker to have an accident and they have to swerve at the last minute. These objects may not be apparent to a driver, or even a bee sting. It is the law in Ontario that drivers are to give adequate right of way on the streets for a bike. And those people who want to hit by an opening door, well, they will probably loose their life over it.

Schwinn: I was thinking the same thing about karma, but this is too sad for the bikers family to wish this on even Bryant.

The biker that was killed was a bike courier.

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090901/fatal_collision_090901/20090901?hub=Toronto

chico2
September 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
I am sorry,I don't agree,I hope they throw the book at MB,put him in jail for a while,the man is an arrogant @#$$ and not only because of his Pit-Bull rant.
The only ones I feel sorry for are the family of this cyclist.
But I can bet anything our justice system will somehow put the blame solely on the biker:yell:

chico2
September 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
L4H,you know,in Sweden and many other countries in Europe bicyclists ride against the traffic,in my opinion a much safer way,you can see what is coming.:sorry::offtopic:

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM
I am sorry,I don't agree,I hope they throw the book at MB,put him in jail for a while,the man is an arrogant @#$$ and not only because of his Pit-Bull rant.
The only ones I feel sorry for are the family of this cyclist.
But I can bet anything our justice system will somehow put the blame solely on the biker:yell:

I would love to see Bryant go to jail and as far as I am concerned, this is murder. He purposely murdered that poor cyclist. He had a choice to stop the car when the cyclist held onto the car, but he choose to go down the wrong side of the street so the cyclist would hit the mailboxes and street lamps. No different than somebody taking a hammer and hitting somebody on the head.

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM
L4H,you know,in Sweden and many other countries in Europe bicyclists ride against the traffic,in my opinion a much safer way,you can see what is coming.:sorry::offtopic:

I lived in Germany for 4 years and they had paved bicycle paths going from village to village so they didn't have to ride on the hwy. In the city of Baden Baden, there was a wonderful bicycle path off the main road that lead right down to the marketplatz. It was very, very safe.

chico2
September 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
L4H,I agree 100%,this was vehicular homicide,MB had a lot of chances to stop the car,this young man did not have to die.
When I read the story this morning,they did not say who the driver was,but it did not make it any less horrific,I was stunned when I heard it was MB,what a stupid,evil man:evil:

Chaser
September 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
I agree that sometimes people riding bicycles act stupidly and make poor decisions. So do people who are on motorcycles or driving cars! It is impossible to speculate how the initial collision happened. But every article I read described that part as "minor" - the cyclist could have survived.

Speeding away, swerving into the opposite lane and blatantly trying to knock the cyclist off his car by crushing him against mailboxes, light standards and trees is completely malicious. Absolutely disgusting, and a shame that a person this unstable was able to make it to such a prestigious position in Canadian politics. It's frightening to think that someone capable of such a vicious act was Attorney General of our province. Clearly our political system is in a very sorry state.

wdawson
September 1st, 2009, 05:23 PM
ahhh poor bryant,his true side finally showes up,lets just hope he's treated like common folk and no special favours.

erykah1310
September 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
As someone said on another forum, it's clear that Bryant and anyone who resembles him should be altered muzzled kept in full control and if found breaking these rules euth.
Clearly he is dangerous to the general public, he has killed an innocent person.

My heart goes out to the cyclists family and friends

babymomma
September 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM
I feel bad for this man and his family.. But I feel just as bad about all the other families torn apart because they had to kill their own family member because of that man... This man has caused many deaths, And he deserves whatever is thrown at him.

Watchdog
September 1st, 2009, 07:22 PM
Who is the dangerous " ticking time bomb " killer now ?

Melinda
September 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
no no love4himies, it was "snowdancer" not dog dancer

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 07:51 PM
no no love4himies, it was "snowdancer" not dog dancer

:eek: OMG, I am so sorry, dog dancer. :grouphug:

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 07:54 PM
As someone said on another forum, it's clear that Bryant and anyone who resembles him should be altered muzzled kept in full control and if found breaking these rules euth.
Clearly he is dangerous to the general public, he has killed an innocent person.

My heart goes out to the cyclists family and friends

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I love it.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 1st, 2009, 10:29 PM
Believe it or not, there's some idiots who are defending this "man." :confused: Not too many of course, but they're there.

I hope they treat him like a common criminal and not give him perks

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
Believe it or not, there's some idiots who are defending this "man." :confused: Not too many of course, but they're there.

I hope they treat him like a common criminal and not give him perks

Perhaps these people are just as arrogant as he is and they haven't closed their eyes and pictured one of thier loved ones hanging onto a car while the driver is purposely driving into mailboxes and lamp posts trying to kill him/her.

chico2
September 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
I just finished reading 3 pages of this tragedy.
It was his wife who was the passenger,they'd been out celebrating their anniversary,any sobriety-test on Bryant??? NO.
I can see how he lost it,after Mr Shepard,threw his courier bag on to the hood of the car.
That's the time when Bryant should have called 911 and he could have been in the right,a life would have been saved.

The Star paints a glorious picture of a brilliant man(Bryant)his wonderful marriage,success etc...but takes every opportunity to bring up all of Mr Shepards troubles.
That sort of reporting always bothers me,Is Shepards life less important because he came from a troubled back-ground???
He kept an honest job,made a living,had stopped drinking,but he after death will get a sobriety test:confused:not Bryant..
I am sure all the best lawyers,will now form a line behind Bryant,eager to defend him and make the newspapers.
It will be very interesting to see what happens,but we have to wait until mid October.

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
I haven't had time to read the news this morning, but the first thing I thought of was the hell this poor cyclist went through Monday night. I can't get the picture out of my head, perhaps because I am a cyclist.

I would like to know what Bryant did before the cyclist through his bag onto the car.

This morning on a part of the hwy that I have to bike on the road because the shoulder is ruined, there was a car who was passing another car so the passee had nowhere to move away to give me room. The car was inches away from me. That is the $hit bikers put up with from car drivers. It is not our fault we have to bike on a car's lane, it is the gov't who doesn't give us the space.

Melinda
September 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
not to make light of a serious terrible time, but my nephew who works for the govt and is a staunch conservative emailed me yesterday (knowing how against the pit bull ban) in the email he wrote

Aunt Shelley (me) I guess the pit bull ban really is working, there is now less deaths caused by pitbulls than by liberals:loser:

happycats
September 2nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Very sad and tragic story :sad:

We had a very heated dicussion here at work about it, there are people here who actually believe the cyclist got what he deserved !!?? :eek:
Some here were saying "poor Bryant, must have been terrified, this crazy drunken cyclist hanging off his car, trying to grab his steering wheel, he deserved what he got" !!!
OMG and I'm sure that is exactly how his lawyers (that I'm sure will be paid for by the tax payers) will defend it !!!

happycats
September 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Aunt Shelley (me) I guess the pit bull ban really is working, there is now less deaths caused by pitbulls than by liberals:loser:

That's funny (with all due respect to the deceased that is):candle:

Schwinn
September 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
This is going to kill me to say it, but...

It looks like Bryant may have been more of a victim than originally thought. It sounds like the cyclist was raging due to something Bryant did. The latest I heard was the cyclist grabbed the wheel, that's why the car went to the curb lane. That hasn't been confirmed, though. My arguement against that, though is it's a fight between someone sitting and holding the wheel with two hands vs someone hanging off the side of the car. I'd think the person sitting would have the upper hand, so to speak.

I asked Mrs. Schwinn last night if it'd be poetic justice if the judge decided that people like him were inherantly dangerous on the road and made an example of him. Honestly, I don't wish to see someone go to jail who doesn't deserve it, but I do think it'd be karma if this man lost his career and all he worked for due to this--the things he lost by forgoing integrity to get them in the first place. At the very least, if he is innocent, I hope he experiences many a sleepless night, grief and worry through something that is no fault of his own. Public persecution that isn't justified would just be karma again, IMHO.

And this whole cyclists vs. cars arguement that's been in the media for two days is really getting on my nerves. If everyone follows the rules, and stops acting like arrogant jerks and treating everyone with respect, we wouldn't have to have this arguement. I hear one more idiot say, "Well, I see them run stop signs all the time, so I'm not giving them any room" or "It's my right to be on the road, so I'm going to ride down the middle of the lane", I'm going to scream.

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Very sad and tragic story :sad:

We had a very heated dicussion here at work about it, there are people here who actually believe the cyclist got what he deserved !!?? :eek:
Some here were saying "poor Bryant, must have been terrified, this crazy drunken cyclist hanging off his car, trying to grab his steering wheel, he deserved what he got" !!!
OMG and I'm sure that is exactly how his lawyers (that I'm sure will be paid for by the tax payers) will defend it !!!

I know, I was reading some of the comments on the cbc website and couldn't believe it. Do people really have such a low disregard for life that somebody deserves death for hanging onto a car? Bryant feared for his life????? there was a crowd around, it is not like they were on a deserted road. I would think it would be very difficult to hold onto a car and grab the steering wheel unless they were Superman.

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Well said Schwinn and so true. Follow the rules, give cyclists the room and there would be a lot less deaths.

Chris21711
September 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
In the Star it noted that the cyclist was running alongside the car, it also showed pics of the bicycle unscathed, it would appear that he had dismounted :shrug:

Schwinn
September 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
He dismounted to confront Bryant, but he definitely wasn't running beside his car if the pedals in the picture I saw are the ones I think they are. I've got the same style for my road bike, and it's hard enough to walk, let alone run in them.

It seems to depend on who's account you read as to where to lay blame. This one paints him less like a victim than the Star (you know, the Liberal Propaganda newspaper?)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/bryants-story-shocking-and-sobering-but-also-far-too-common/article1272593/
I'm inclined to believe that Bryant acted like an arrogant DB (not too much of a stretch, ya think?), Sheppard (the cyclist) then puffed up his chest and raged on Bryant, and Bryant finished it by deliberately ramming Sheppard into the mail box. I'm of the opinion that if the car went to the other side of the road because of Sheppard, it wouldn't have driving along the side, or avoided hitting anything beyond the man hanging off the side. I think if it was due to Sheppard, the car would have hit a pole or something, or he would have been knocked off with the first impact and the car would swerve back across as Bryant regained control.

At the end of the day, I'm trying not to come to any definitive conclusions until everything comes out. Check that--I have come to one conclusion. Two people acted like idiots, and because of that, one died. I don't think either is blameless, we just have yet to see where to lay the blame. Oh, and while I hope Bryant sees proper justice (prosecuted if guilty, lesser charges if not), I do hope he spends many, many nights sleepless, and loses his career over it.

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
A serious cyclist wears special shoes that clip into the pedals, they have a very stiff sole with metal clips that stick out a bit at the front end of the shoe. They are very hard to walk in, let alone run along side a car. It was stated in one article that witness could see the sparks from the cyclist's shoes as he was being dragged by the car, so he was wearing them.

I also read that when Bryant drove away, he clipped the bike again.

Chris21711
September 2nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
I agree that the Star painted a picture of Bryant that he was more or less the victim.....I think he is an arrogant s.o.b.....I don't think he will get his due though :frustrated: not in Canada anyway :sad:

happycats
September 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know about any of you, but if some "raving lunatic" had ahold of my steering wheel, causing me not to have control of it, I certainly wouldn't gun it! I'd stop, especially in such a busy area, other inocent people could have been hurt or killed. witnesses said Bryant was driving really fast.....maybe the cyclist was also pushing on the gas pedal ?! :rolleyes:

I'm sure Bryant will get off, becuase the lawyers and press will make him out to be a poor innocent victim, and a hero. whereas this unknown now deceased fellow will be made out to be some drunking, crazy, man from the wrong side of the tracks. As I said before, the tax payers will probably pay for the best defence that money can buy for Bryant.

chico2
September 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
I can honestly say,I'll be very happy not ever to see this mans arrogant face on TV again.
Do I wish him harm?
Yes,not physical harm,not the kind of harm he caused hundreds of dogs and innocent puppies who were killed,their only crime,having been born in Ontario,but I want him to suffer,as I am sure he is right now.
Not because of Mr Shepards death,I doubt he cares,he only cares about losing his stature in his society,so very different from us normal humans.

Maybe he will be sentenced to community-service,cleaning up the death-row cages,where so many dogs had their lives terminated:dog:

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I was just thinking, what did Bryant do to enrage this biker?? I hardly think that the biker jumped off his bike and went after Bryant for no reason (not so easy when you are clipped into the pedals. So was Bryant the victim or the instigator?

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
The media's slant on Bryant being the poor innocent driver being attacked by evil, slathering cyclist is really suspect to me. And all too similar to the way the way they (the media) worshiped him during his pit bull tirade. As we know, an unfortunate amount of people are also sheeple. :/

Also, a friend of mine pointed out people tend to look to the left when they are lying; an example of this is his picture on the Toronto Star.

Like Vick, Bryant's only sorry he got caught. There was zero emotion in his voice yesterday with his "apology" , he was using that same robotic tone of voice . . .

Love4himies
September 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
He has hired a PR firm to help him through this and possibly a private detective. If it was all innocent on his part, then as far as I am concerned he shouldn't need it.

chico2
September 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
M.Bryant has always been shifty-eyed,never really looked into a camera,whatever he was talking about always seemed very staged and insincere.
The Toronto Star is trying their hardest to paint this wonderful romantic pic of what happened that night,between husband and wife,only to be disrupted by a drunken cyclist:frustrated:

L4H,there was a collision,but I don't think we know who's fault it was,it does not really matter,the cyclist is not alive to defend himself.
Bryant says he's innocent:shrug:he was driving the car,wasn't he:shrug:

Love4himies
September 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
You are right, there is nobody to tell Darcy's side of the story. There is no doubt the PR firm is going to tell the media what they want the media to talk about. I read that after calling his lawyer when he was in the back of the police car, he called his PR firm.

Schwinn
September 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have a feeling the PR firm is already at work. McGuinty had an issue with this guy because he loved the cameras, don't think that he won't be working them to his advantage. It'll be interesting to see if they come down harder on him just to avoid having it look like McGuinty is doing his "friend" a solid. I'm not sure the Libs would step in in his favour (don't see why they would, to be honest. Nothing to gain.) But if that slimey Ben Chin is still in charge of McGuinty's PR, it wouldn't surprise me to see them throw Bryant under the bus.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards having him charged with some sort of manslaughter, same as if you were attacked and used excessive force. As I said, from a vengence stand point, I want to see the man's career, the one he built using dishonesty and 0 intergrity to build, destroyed. Anything else is overkill. I'm also not going to cry if it does go further, though, either.

Melinda
September 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
His girlfriend was just on a call in talk show, she stated that there was no fight that evening between her and the boyfriend and neither were there any police called, said that is a complete rumour.

Love4himies
September 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hmmmmm, then I wonder why one of his friends said he was drunk and in the back of a police cruiser and the police let him go on his bike? I watched the interview of the friend. Of course we don't get to see the whole interview, just the pieces the media wants you to see. Geesh, we just can't believe what the media states :frustrated:, may as well read the National Enquirer :yell:.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Oh, Bryant.

Is there any way the PR firm could get busted for all this BS, or just wishful thinking? Yeah it's suspect that the police would just let him go if he was strung out AND drunk.

I read he had to take his suit to him when he had his night in jail. Poor baby. :rolleyes:

Since they're bringing Air India case lawyer in to defend Bryant, we should get Clayton Ruby back in.

Shaykeija
September 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
:frustrated: The way our legal system works that @sshole will probably get 200 hours of community service and a retirement package....

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 4th, 2009, 12:09 AM
No kidding. If it was you or I, we'd still be in jail!

There's some surveillance footage here:

http://www.cbc.ca/clips/mov/roumeliotis-cyclist-090902.mov

Not good quality but it's beyond me how anyone could watch it and still think he's innocent even if he is heading straight in the guy's direction. It's not like the street is packed with other cars.

MIA
September 6th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Humans killed by Pitbulls = 0
Humans killed by irresponsible irrational politicians = 1

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 8th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/user/honestedits

And thank God someone in the media had the sense to publish the fact that he's got a PR firm to twist the story around:

http://www.thestar.com/article/691400

Love4himies
September 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Thank you for posting that utube link. It really puts the seconds before Darcy's death into prospective. The PR firm was doing a great job of making it look as Darcy was the one who contributed to his own death. From what I see in the video, I see an arrogant driver of a vehicle that was either drunk or had road rage. I can understand Darcy's anger towards Bryant.

:rip: Darcy :candle:, I hope your death opens the eyes of drivers and cyclists to share the road and obey the rules.

mastifflover
September 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Well isn't karma a bitch looks good on him I hope they throw the book at him. As long as this story is kept in the media they will not be able to sweep it under the rug with a slap on the wrists which is what will happen if it just fades away. He is an a$$hole and deserves the strongest penalty

chico2
September 8th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Yes,MOTD,you can see who the first aggressor is and it was not Shepard.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
You're VERY, VERY welcome.

What we can do is to hand those URLs out (the latest Star article and the YouTube link). The more people who see the truth, the better. I think it wouldn't also hurt to send them (especially the YouTube link) to the media.

It's worrying this ticking time bomb is free. Whoop de doo, so he can't drive. He can still easily snap at any time. What if one of his wife's in a mood, a neighbourhood kid runs over his foot on a tricycle?

Schwinn
September 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM
That Youtube link didn't work for me, so I apologize if this is the same video. It's from the same user, who said this was a better edit than the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFISP_PrhFo&annotation_id=annotation_933448&feature=iv

I also saw the blog that Bryant's "people" have to counteract any negative press about him.

To quote Shakespeare--"Methinks the lady (laddy?) doth protest too much". I really think this is going to back fire. And I REALLY hope more people get to see this video. I have a hard time seeing, but I don't think Shepard even turns around before Bryant pushes him down the street, then backs up, and runs over his bike. This guy is a DB to the nth degree, and I really think all this public relations work he's doing is going to show that.

(I really should have punched him that night)

Schwinn
September 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Just read a great quote where someone pointed out that if it was Bryant's pitbull that hit (bit) Shepard, Bryant would automatically be fined, and his dog seized and destroyed without so much as a court case, and it'd be up to him to prove his innocence.

Love4himies
September 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I have read that same type of statement too.

I don't know why this case has affected me so much. Perhaps because of the pitbull ban? Or that I am a biker and have had some very, ignorant drivers drive really close to me and blare thier horns, or pretend they don't see me and drive within inches while they are going 100km/hr., or perhaps a bit of both :shrug:.

All I know, is my heart is bleeding for his family and friends :cry:.

chico2
September 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM
With me,I am angry,because this man always was to me an arrogant jerk and I am sure with his money,PR-men and Lawyers,he will get away with this and get another cushy job.
Of course his nasty BSL-law that got probably 100+ animals killed also adds to my feeling about him,I just don't like the man and I hope he goes to jail,but I doubt it:evil:

chico2
September 11th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I just read Jim Coyle's(pg A13 Toronto Star) view of the Bryant/Sheppard incident and it makes me fume.
He clearly paints Sheppard as a menace to society and Bryant as a passive victim,chosing not to partake in a confrontation.
Maybe his car was on automatic pilot:shrug:

Love4himies
September 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I just read Jim Coyle's(pg A13 Toronto Star) view of the Bryant/Sheppard incident and it makes me fume.
He clearly paints Sheppard as a menace to society and Bryant as a passive victim,chosing not to partake in a confrontation.
Maybe his car was on automatic pilot:shrug:

Perhaps Jim should view the video tapes of Bryant hitting Sheppard's back tire, knocking him over, then racing around him and driving over his bike's back tire before Sheppard grabbed onto Bryant's car. How can somebody paint Bryant as the innocent victim :yell:???

Yesterday as I was biking home through Gananoque, I was just about hit by a vehicle turning right, so I decided I should go behind the cars (as a vehicle) so I could be seen, only to have an SUV drive up to my left and both the man and woman screamed at me to get the F... off the road, that I had no right on the road :rolleyes:. Then only to turn about 200ft infront of me to go into a strip mall.

chico2
September 11th, 2009, 08:11 AM
L4H,that's terrible,but I can see it happen..we were going to get a couple of bikes this summer,we used to bike with our kids,but now the traffic is worse.
Most bikers here ride on the sidewalks,which I don't recommend,I've been jumping out of my skin a few times walking Bailey and a bike coming up behind me.
We have no bike-lanes here,except for down-town.

Love4himies
September 11th, 2009, 09:02 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: I am stunned that Jim could even write that. He wasn't there, he doesn't know what happened and it was totally biased. :frustrated:

http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/694068

Sep 11, 2009 04:30 AM
Jim Coyle

Menace of untreated addiction haunts deadly street encounter

As time passes, it becomes clearer the urban nightmare that killed a courier and derailed the public career of a former Ontario cabinet minister had little to do with the hazards of cycling.

What the story of Darcy Allan Sheppard and Michael James Bryant seems more to be about is mental health and the menace of untreated addiction.

It's a story of the turbulence in both the sufferer and most everyone he or she runs into that such afflictions too often cause.

By no stretch was Darcy Sheppard a member of life's lucky sperm club. By the sounds of things, he was pretty damaged and, if fuelled by anger, he had a lot to be angry about.

I don't say anything about this issue with dispassion.

I know and like Bryant. He's precisely the sort of cocky, mischievous little SOB I loved to have on my team, the kind who wasn't much fun to play against.

I never met Sheppard. But it could just be that I know him, too. Other than the fact I'm almost 17 years from my last drink and Sheppard was reportedly way too close to his, we probably had much in common.

As a rule, the addicted are uncomfortable in the world at the best of times. Their natural state is restless, irritable and discontented. Sometimes, the chemical provides a fleeting sense of ease and comfort. As often as not, it produces rage and profoundly impairs impulse control.

It's not for nothing prisons are full of people with drug and alcohol problems who lost it for a moment. It's not for nothing Upton Sinclair called his 1956 classic on alcohol's use and abuse The Cup of Fury.

The collision course that brought Sheppard and Bryant into contact the chance encounter that's both the appeal and menace of urban life was not just compelling for the fact it involved an aboriginal man and a former minister of aboriginal affairs, a product of the streets and the beneficiary of life's good fortune.

What was notable and is possibly germane to sorting out what went on in the relevant few seconds on which the criminal charges hinge is that Sheppard's day had been marked by a long string of bad decisions, Bryant's by choices and actions that were responsible, even charming.

It's a particularly painful aspect of the encounter that it followed on the heels of an idyllic anniversary celebration by Bryant and his wife. Their evening was so romantic and so Toronto shawarma on College St., the Boardwalk, baklava on the Danforth that a film crew from Invest Toronto (the outfit Bryant left politics to head, and from which he has now resigned) should have shot it as an ad.

What seems apparent is that in the hours leading up to it Bryant did lots that was good and proper. So, too, in the confrontation.

He probably hasn't walked away from many fights. But that night, by all accounts, he tried to disengage. It's worth remembering that Bryant is a boxer. Whatever his impulse and inclination, he opted out of the bout. The other party didn't.

What happened in the critical seconds will be minutely parsed in court. What we already know is that no one gets to make the journey from cradle to grave without knowing a crucible.

Those who've had a multitude of blessings might think their well-being and sunny expectations are the natural order of things. Then something happens.

It's then we learn the most inescapable of truths. You get what life throws at you. And the worst of it usually comes straight out of the blue.

Jim Coyle's provincial affairs column appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

chico2
September 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
L4H,it seems to me,Coyle think's it's ok,with Sheppard being killed,he was just a bum after all:yell:

Love4himies
September 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
L4H,it seems to me,Coyle think's it's ok,with Sheppard being killed,he was just a bum after all:yell:

Exactly the way I read it too. :cry:

He wasn't a "bum", he was somebody's son, sombody's dad, somebody's sibling :sad:.

SnowDancer
September 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
As I have previously posted, I used to know Michael Bryant and am NOT a fan of his. But I do frequent other forums and the discussion has been much more balanced. I have to wonder if his name was "Smith" or substitute the name of any of the posters here - if comments would be the same. Yesterday, I almost hit 2 people on bicycles - again neither would have been my fault. Actually one incident happened in an area where the police lurk - and the police went after the guy as I slammed on the brakes. It is a good thing I was paying close attention. I grew up in a family such as Sheppard and I can tell you had I been at the wheel I would have been scared too. No need to flame me because I will never be signing on to this board again.

Many, many posters who were in when I first signed on have posted for years - the few that still do, I think understand why.

Winston
September 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Snowdancer I dont know what happened in this thread but can imagine that it is a difficult one.( I didnt read back through all the pages!) I just wanted to say that you are right sometimes the threads are not balanced in opinion but I think that is just because some people have more passion and or knowledge and others may not?

I personally wanted to say that I have appreciated yoou informative posts in the past and hope that this will not detour you from this board. Sometimes I throw my hands up in frustration only to realize later on that we all have an opinion and thats it an opinion. I just move on from there. I find that the many people here I enjoy far outway the others I dont! :thumbs up

Cindy

NoahGrey
September 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I wasn't going to play devils advocate and was going to stay out of the whole thread, but.... I myself get frustated when driving past people with bikes on city roads. It takes an experienced biker to bike on a city street, Experically downtown toronto. The thing is that so many people think that they can just hop on a bike and bike whever they want, however they want. I have seen more bikers wobbly back and forth, weave in and out of traffic or just be all over the road...and if the biker smakes into your car, you are at fault..not the the person the bike. Also, what if it was not bryant, yet someone who the majority of people respected and had a strong animal welfare background. Would this situation still be the same. Would more wrong doing be on the bikers part?

Now,I have not read the thread about this whole situation, I am just expressing my opinions about people and bikes aloud on city roads.

ACO22

catlover2
September 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I'm amazed at the number of comments that would have Bryant drawn, quartered and hanged before all the facts come out about the case in the trial. It may well prove that though he was hasty & used bad judgement by trying to get away from the scene, how many would do otherwise with an angry, threatening drunk hanging on their car mirror? :shrug:

chico2
September 12th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I am sorry,probably biased against Bryant,I cannot stand the man,either in politics or anything else.
However,if you look at the video you can clearly see who is at fault.
A few questions,why did Bryant not stop and call the police right away???
After all he was at one time a boxer and what I've seen of him,clearly not a mild-mannered man.
Why when his back-wheels ran over Sheppard,did he not stop???
His car killed a man,yes,Sheppard was a Metis,probably drunk(as they say),so his death does not matter???

Love4himies
September 12th, 2009, 04:25 PM
View the video tapes. Bryant clearly hit the back of Sheppard's bike after being at a complete stop, pushed him, backed up then ran over his back tire, then tried to speed off. It was as Bryant was trying to speed off that Sheppard grabbed onto Bryant's car trying to get him to stop.

If I accidentally hit the back of somebody's bike I would be so upset and sorry and offer to pay for any damage. Hmmmmmm, didn't see any of that going on with Bryant.

In order to see both sides, you have to be a biker and a driver. I do both and I guarantee you there are many, many times I could have been easily killed, none of which would have been my fault.

Remember, bikes have just as much right on the road as cars and can, if they wanted to, drive down the middle of the lane. I think cars frequently forget this law. To drive along the city streets is very difficult trying to doge manholes, potholes and people opening their driver side doors.

And yes, I won't deny that there are many bikers who blantantly disobey the law and if they go through a stop sign/red light and get hit, it is their fault, period!

Love4himies
September 12th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm amazed at the number of comments that would have Bryant drawn, quartered and hanged before all the facts come out about the case in the trial. It may well prove that though he was hasty & used bad judgement by trying to get away from the scene, how many would do otherwise with an angry, threatening drunk hanging on their car mirror? :shrug:

Ummmm how do you know Sheppard was a threatening drunk??????? It seems to me that the police officer that previously talked to him didn't think he was that drunk and was able to drive home on his bike.

What would you do if a Saab hit you and tried to run away from the scene? I would be friggin pi$$ed too.

How do you know that Sheppard didn't get upset until Bryant tried to flee? Maybe it was the fleeing that made Sheppard angry :shrug: Maybe if Bryant had just done as he was legally suppose to do and stop at the scene of the accident, Sheppard would have been very nice too.

Love4himies
September 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Also, to assume that all bikers are dangerous on the roads is the same as thinking all pitbulls are aggressive.

I don't dislike Bryant because of the pitbull ban, he wasn't the only person involved in the law, well I guess I do, but I don't like what he did to a biker. The only reason I brought this case up on this forum is because of the pitbull ban, otherwise I would be discussing it on a biker forum.

Schwinn
September 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM
As I have previously posted, I used to know Michael Bryant and am NOT a fan of his. But I do frequent other forums and the discussion has been much more balanced. I have to wonder if his name was "Smith" or substitute the name of any of the posters here - if comments would be the same. Yesterday, I almost hit 2 people on bicycles - again neither would have been my fault. Actually one incident happened in an area where the police lurk - and the police went after the guy as I slammed on the brakes. It is a good thing I was paying close attention. I grew up in a family such as Sheppard and I can tell you had I been at the wheel I would have been scared too. No need to flame me because I will never be signing on to this board again.

Many, many posters who were in when I first signed on have posted for years - the few that still do, I think understand why.

Okay, so you're surprised that in a BSL forum, that it isn't more balanced? Really? I find that...surprising. And no, if his name was "Smith", comments wouldn't be the same. Wouldn't even be talking about it, actually, because to the best of my knowledge, no one named Smith championed a law to have family pets killed. (I do find it ironic that someone whining about a lack of balance in the comments has only come in twice to talk about how awful people cyclists are, and insinuate it was all Shepards fault. Just saying...) But hey, if you want to leave a board, that you belonged to for 4 years, because you feel a thread that had (until your second post) 10 unique posters out of 34 thousand members was "unbalanced", then be on your smug and self-righteous way I say.

(sorry to be harsh, but this really rubs me the wrong way...and that was before SnowDancer's snide parting shot)

I'm amazed at the number of comments that would have Bryant drawn, quartered and hanged before all the facts come out about the case in the trial.

Actually, most people who post in here wanted that before the incident even happened.

It may well prove that though he was hasty & used bad judgement by trying to get away from the scene, how many would do otherwise with an angry, threatening drunk hanging on their car mirror?
I agreed with you up until I saw the video of him pushing Shepard down the street on his bike, before Shepard ever approached the car. What I would do probably would not be the same as most (or, possibly, even the smart thing). But I don't care who you are, or what a person has done to you, you do not hit somone on a 20 lb bicycle with an 1800lb car regardless of who's at fault. There were two people in the car, one could easily have called 911, he could have backed up to go around, a multitude of things. None of those involving wielding his vehicle as a weapon.

I think most people who are posting have two thoughts-1)Karma is coming to get him and 2)the way Navigator, the image consultant company Bryant hired within hours of the incident has been manipulating the media and producing all this background stuff on Shepard is sickening. IMO, bike couriers in Toronto are a scurge, a bunch of self-righteous, ignorant manaces. Most CYCLISTS would like to be rid of them. But it still comes down to that doesn't make it right that Shepard died. Well, unless you're some kind of DB, I suppose.

Here's a question for everyone glaring down from thier high horse--what if Shepard had a clean record, and a teetotalor? Would YOU be saying the same thing?

Again, this is simply a case of two people acting like idiots, and one died. It just happens that the one still alive happens to be a DB to the nth degree that many, many people would love to see get his come-uppance.

Love4himies
September 12th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Oh Schwinn, you are so well spoken. :lovestruck:

aslan
September 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I like ACO was going to avoid this thread, and at this point i'm still not going to voice my opinion one way or the other. What i would like to say is, since no one can see 100% what happened(media will show what they want you to see) and we can't hear what was really said. We will never know for sure what really happened. I don't condemn Sheppard for whether or not he was drunk, just as a car accident has nothing to do with Bullies. Personally i don't like Bryant or drunks:shrug:(no i'm not saying he was drunk).

I'm sure there are people with an opposing opinion to what is being posted, but aren't willing to state their opinion here. Hence the one sided discussion.

chico2
September 13th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Scwinn,like L4H says,very well said,thank you..
There was to be a blood-alcohol test done on Sheppard,did we ever hear the result??
I honestly believe had it been a "Mr Smith" driving the Saab,a hefty bail would have been set,not so for Mr Bryant.

As for someone leaving the Forum because,he/she does not agree with what is being said,it is of course his/her choice,not something I want to happen.

Love4himies
September 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Here is an interesting interview to read.

I really think unless people are bikers, they don't really know what bikers have to contend with on the roads.

http://www.research.utoronto.ca/behind_the_headlines/smart-cycling/

NoahGrey
September 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: I am stunned that Jim could even write that. He wasn't there, he doesn't know what happened and it was totally biased. :frustrated:

Love4himies, I have to say that I find the above post lack of. I mean how can you comment on something, if you were not even there yourself.

We are only seeing the video as too what happen at that time. We do not see what happened before it was caught on tape. How do we know that Bryant was not scared and possbilty fear for his life. When a stranger apporaches us on the street..we do not know how they will react. How do we know that this biker was not trying to harm and he speed off, before he could have not anything.

We were not there to see what happen before it was caught on tape.

Again, my question comes up. What if it was not Bryant, yet someone who was respected and had a strong animal welfare background. Would the wrong doing be put more on the biker?? I would seem to think so.

Again, it is sad that the outcome ended like it did....but we do not know the WHOLE story. And again, I would take the media with a grain of salt. Everyone know the media pushes what they want us to hear and see.

I really think unless people are bikers, they don't really know what bikers have to contend with on the roads.

I think it should be what drivers have to contend with when driving with bikes on the road. Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. When I was on the road, working, you would not believe the crap that drivers have to put up with bikers. bikers think they own the road...in my opinion anyway. I think it is absurd that whoever long ago, made it ok for bikes to bike on a road. I also think it is absured that if a biker ends up smacking into a car, due to their own fault, it is the cars fault. How is that?

ACO22

chico2
September 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM
ACO,yes,the media pushes what they think we should read,in this instance,the media focuses on making Bryant the innocent victim.
Sheppard cannot defend himself,he's dead,but the video speaks louder than words.
You are right,I don't like Bryant and never have,not only because BSL,he always was an arrogant bully,whether he was our A-G,or in the ministry for Indian affairs,which did not last long,by the way:laughing:
We'll just all have to wait to see what comes out in court.

Love4himies
September 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Love4himies, I have to say that I find the above post lack of. I mean how can you comment on something, if you were not even there yourself.

We are only seeing the video as too what happen at that time. We do not see what happened before it was caught on tape. How do we know that Bryant was not scared and possbilty fear for his life. When a stranger apporaches us on the street..we do not know how they will react. How do we know that this biker was not trying to harm and he speed off, before he could have not anything.

We were not there to see what happen before it was caught on tape.

Again, my question comes up. What if it was not Bryant, yet someone who was respected and had a strong animal welfare background. Would the wrong doing be put more on the biker?? I would seem to think so.

Again, it is sad that the outcome ended like it did....but we do not know the WHOLE story. And again, I would take the media with a grain of salt. Everyone know the media pushes what they want us to hear and see.

I think it should be what drivers have to contend with when driving with bikes on the road. Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. When I was on the road, working, you would not believe the crap that drivers have to put up with bikers. bikers think they own the road...in my opinion anyway. I think it is absurd that whoever long ago, made it ok for bikes to bike on a road. I also think it is absured that if a biker ends up smacking into a car, due to their own fault, it is the cars fault. How is that?

ACO22

Did you watch the video????

It doesn't matter what happened before hand (if anything did happen,which we don't know), Bryant still went from a full stop to hitting the back of Sheppard's bike, knocking Sheppard over, then back up try to take off, riding over Sheppard's back tire. If Bryant wanted to avoid Sheppard prior to this incident because he "feared for his life", he could have easily done so. He didn't have to stop behind Sheppard with his top down and hit him with his car. That is not somebody who wanted to "avoid" an aggressive person because he "feared for his live" :rolleyes:, that is somebody who wanted to bully somebody who was more vulnerable, in this case, Sheppard.

And I am 47 years old, I have many years experience driving in a city, many more years than you, I am sure. I am a person who realizes that a car can be a deadly weapon and drive mine understanding this. I respect all life on the road, whether it be a tiny chipmunk or a human.

And by the way, bikes can legally drive down the middle of the lane and cars can then pass the bike on the left when safe to do so ;). And you wouldn't believe the crap we bikers have to put up with from cars, and in our case it can be life and death, in the car's case, it is a scratch or dent on a material thing. Not comparable.

Love4himies
September 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
You asked if I would feel differently if it wasn't Bryant, NO I would not.

There were 5 bikers hit by a van (hit and run), one of the bikers is still in a coma in Ottawa, I am very, very upset by this too. I only brought this up because it was Bryant, who implemented the BSL.

chico2
September 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM
L4H,I am glad we have you and Schwinn speaking for Mr Sheppard,my English and spelling goes out the window when I get emotional,the two of you make so much more sense than me.

Love4himies
September 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Thank you chico, you don't know how much it means to me that you are sticking up for Sheppard too. That poor man is dead and has nobody to speak on his behalf. I feel so bad, it brings me to tears. There are four children without a father. :cry:

chico2
September 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Yes,I know what you mean,he was buried I think friday or saturday:sad:
I the meantime Bryant is scrambling,getting PR men to tell him what to say,expensive lawyers to get him off any charges,makes me fume:yell:

Frenchy
September 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I mean how can you comment on something, if you were not even there yourself.

:confused: because that is called : free speech .

You don't have to "have been there" to comment on a topic.

chico2
September 14th, 2009, 07:42 AM
If we would need to"be there"at any criminal offense to discuss it,we would know nothing,luckily we have video and witnesses.
There is no question in my mind what will happen in court,we have an ex A-G,with powerful friends(McGuinty not being one of them) and Pr-men,going up against a crumpled bike,a dead cyclist-courier.
Shepard and his family have already lost,Bryant will go on with his life as before.

chico2
September 18th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Finally an unbiased columnist in the Star,Antonia Zerbisias writes a excellent column in todays Toronto Star.
It's in the Living section on page A4,I still have not learned how to transfer on to our site,hopefully L4H can:fingerscr

Love4himies
September 18th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks chico, I'll take a read.

A cyclist was killed yesterday in Ottawa and another was struck by a pick up truck not too far from where I bike. :sad:

aslan
September 18th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Here you go Chico2...

www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/697394

ok going to voiced my opinion now,living in toronto i do see the worst of both sides of this story, bad bikers and bad drivers. I have no doubt that because of who he is, Bryant is going to get off with a slap on the wrist and that is sooooo wrong. A person was killed no matter what happened or who started it. The person behind the wheel of the car no matter who should be held accountable for not only killing someone but leaving the initial scene of the accident.

Love4himies
September 18th, 2009, 08:13 AM
http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/697394

Bryant and bike courier a class issue
Email story
Print
Choose text size
Report error or complaint
Email the author
License this article

The victim: Darcy Sheppard profile Key places and moments in aftermath of mishap PHOTOS: Cyclists demonstrate Dream date before the nightmare Car vs. cycle Road to 'reputation recovery' VIP stay in custody criticized A gap at Invest Toronto Bryant resignation letter His defence: Lawyers speculate Photos: Cyclists protest Is Michael Bryant's life over? Wells: Showman Bryant rose quickly Map: 2008 bike collisions Photos: Bryant and scene Photos: Bryant through the years Biking Toronto forum Michael Bryant profile Audio: Police press briefing Sep 18, 2009 04:30 AM
Antonia Zerbisias

"A journalist's job is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."

Attributed to American critic H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

On Sept. 1, after former Ontario attorney-general Michael Bryant was charged with "criminal negligence causing death" and "dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death," there wasn't much comforting the afflicted.

Anyway, bicycle courier Darcy Allan Sheppard was more than afflicted.

He had been left bleeding from his nose and mouth on Bloor St., only to die in hospital after allegedly being bashed against a mailbox while hanging on to Bryant's convertible.

These are the claims that Toronto has learned from witnesses, police and media reports.

There is no dispute that, not only did Bryant engage one of the best criminal lawyers money could buy, he lined up a top-tier communications firm called Navigator to handle his public representations and, as the Star reported, shopped for a private investigator to dig up evidence.

It's very difficult not to remark on the unfair physical match between a cyclist and a motorist.

It's also tough not to notice the imbalance between a once-promising politician and the unfortunate product of just about the very worst sequence of disadvantages any Canadian can be born into.

So yes, this is very much a class issue.

Since that tragic late summer evening which has divided this city cyclist v. motorist, rich v. poor, right v. left, pitbull lover v. Bryant's hated legislation there's been much ink spilled on whether Sheppard was drunk, whether he grabbed Bryant's wheel, whether he slammed his backpack on the hood, as well as his past.

Just this week in Maclean's, for example, there is no sympathy spared for the victim.

But, as former Olympic cyclist and cycling lawyer Bob Mionske outlines on Bicycling.com, it's all spin.

"Why do I think it's spin?" he asks. "Because details about Sheppard's ancient run-ins with the law over stolen cheques had nothing to do with what happened the night of his death. Neither did stories about noise complaints from neighbours, or his problems with alcohol ... But they had everything to do with shaping public opinion, turning the public against Sheppard, and in support of Bryant."

That's why you can't help but get the impression that some people are more equal than others.

Except that now, Twitter and YouTube have brought yet another perspective. Which brings us to @BryantTruths and HonestEdits.

HonestEdits, who has been posting surveillance videos from the scene on YouTube, prefers to remain anonymous. HonestEdits' videos, compressed for clarity, string together two clips in a chronological sequence that the corporate media have not presented.

True, they're not exactly high-definition. (Try an iPhone.) And they may not tell the whole story. In fact, last week, when the first video popped up, the Bryant camp, via its blog, denounced its narration as "inaccurate and one-sided."

Now that post is gone but I have screen grabs.

Interestingly, what's not gone is the video, plus others since added, now viewed some 40,000 times, collectively, and on various blogs.

PR pro and and cycling advocate Don Weidman is @BryantTruths, tweeting what he calls "the other side of the story."

He does it because he feels that the PR profession is getting a bad name and also because he has found himself in street face-offs with "guys in their 40s in big black cars."

As he told me, "I want a better world. I want to fight for the underdog."

Which is what journalism should be about.

Meanwhile, the Navigator-produced bryantfacts.wordpress.com and tweets (@BryantFacts) have scaled back with the former now containing only a terse announcement that it "will be used for the release of any official statements."

Bryant will have his day in court next month and, presumably, a trial will eventually follow.

As both Weidman and Honest-Edits tell me, Sheppard may be dead he won't be silenced.

Antonia Zerbisias is a Living section columnist. azerbisias@thestar.ca. She blogs at thestar.blogs.com.

Love4himies
September 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Whoops, you beat me to it, Aslan :o

Chris21711
September 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM
leaving the initial scene of the accident.

That's what I couldn't understand when reading the charges against Bryant, he was not charged with leaving the scene of an accident :confused:

Love4himies
September 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM
That's what I couldn't understand when reading the charges against Bryant, he was not charged with leaving the scene of an accident :confused:

I am thinking the prosecution may thought they wouldn't be able to win that charge as he did "eventually" stop. Unless there is somewhere written as to the distance a vehicle is to stop, then I think Bryant's lawyers could win that one.

Chris21711
September 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I am thinking the prosecution may thought they wouldn't be able to win that charge as he did "eventually" stop. Unless there is somewhere written as to the distance a vehicle is to stop, then I think Bryant's lawyers could win that one.

I thought I read in the paper that they continued on to a hotel and it was from there that they called the Police.

Love4himies
September 18th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Yes, he did, he also tried to flee after initially hitting Darcy, which is what precipitated Darcy to run after Bryant's car and grab hold. I believe Darcy was trying to stop Bryant from getting away with hitting his bike. Actually, I think after Darcy got up from being hit, he threw his bag on Bryant's car,then ran after the car.

The video mom of two dogs posted shows the accident very clearly.

mastifflover
September 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM
We all know what a scumbag Bryant is and the worst thing is that he will walk away with a slap on the wrist. Money has a huge impact on cases when you have the best lawyers and a pr firm to spin it for you. Unless this is kept in the media and people do not let it slip into the abyss this cyclist will just be a statistic and the court case will be over and done with and Bryant will walk away. Maybe some high powered lawyer will step up and take the case for his family. Maybe he will be a pit bull owner too

Chris21711
September 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM
So very tragic....I fear though that he will get off with just a slap on the wrist or community hours in one of his mens' clubs.....Crikey I hope I'm wrong.

Chris21711
September 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
The video mom of two dogs posted shows the accident very clearly.

I couldn't watch it....dial-up :frustrated:

chico2
September 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Thank's L4H and Aslan for posting the column for us,I wrote her an e-mail thanking her for what she wrote,unlike the other jerk who wrote a totally biased column,saying Bryant did everything right:evil:

I am hoping this does not just whimper out,people forget so easily.:pray:

Love4himies
September 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I couldn't watch it....dial-up :frustrated:

It is quite shocking to see how Bryant acted.

chico2
October 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Well,Mr Bryant had a court-date this week,he did not go,his expensive lawyer took care of things.
Apparently Bryant want to get this over with quickly and I am sure it will be done quickly,unlike normal people who have to wait sometimes years.
I am not surprised this is all very hush-hush,not a word in the news-paper:yell:
Bryant is probably hoping the people have forgotten by now,that he killed a man and maybe many have,certainly not I.

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
I know, chico, it was on the 19th :sad:. I noticed as soon as the video was posted on u tube of Bryant hitting Sheppard and knocking him over, all his "spin" people kept their mouths shut.

I watched CBC news while I did my workout and was furious when they stated that Sheppard had the altercation with Bryant, making Sheppard out as the bad person. :cry: Of course they didn't state that the altercation was a result of Bryant hitting Sheppard with his car.

mastifflover
October 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
This slime will get away with this he is like the teflon don. The public has to be the ones to demand answers so it does not get hidden away and he walks away by paying off the family. Make him pay and not just monetarily

Love4himies
October 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
OMG, I can't believe this. It states that Sheppard collided with Bryant :yell: :frustrated: It was Bryant that hit Sheppard when Sheppard was infront of Bryant's car.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/lawyers-to-make-court-appearance-in-bryant-case/article1328728/

KATE HAMMER

From Monday's Globe and Mail
Published on Monday, Oct. 19, 2009 12:00AM EDT

Last updated on Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2009 3:37AM EDT

Lawyers in the Michael Bryant case are expected to make a brief court appearance today, their first since the former attorney-general was charged in connection with the death of a cyclist.

Dan Robertson of Navigator Limited, the public-relations firm hired by Mr. Bryant shortly after the incident, said that Mr. Bryant would not be attending.

The accused faces charges of dangerous driving and criminal negligence causing the death of Darcy Allan Sheppard, 33, a bicycle courier who collided with Mr. Bryant's Saab convertible on Aug. 31.

Mr. Bryant was charged and released the next day without a bail hearing and was told to surrender his passport and refrain from driving.

He has since been spotted cycling.

Mr. Bryant has hired Marie Henein, a defence lawyer who was groomed by Edward Greenspan.

Ms. Henein helped acquit junior hockey coach David Frost, who had been accused of sexually exploiting some of his players.

The Ministry of the Attorney-General of Ontario has retained Vancouver attorney Richard Peck, who successfully defended Ajaib Singh Bagri on murder charges in the Air India trial, as a special prosecutor.

The court appearance will take place at 3 p.m. at Old City Hall Court.

With a report from Adam Radwanski

chico2
October 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
You know,I already could not stand seeing Bryants ignorant face,before this"accident"but if he gets away with this,with no punishment,other than a few thousands in lawyer-fees,I will totally believe we have a two-tier system when it come to crimes.
The rich on on side,the poor on the other,justice should have no boundaries,whether you are rich or poor.
I am just sickened by all this:yell:

babyrocky1
November 22nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
http://bryantwatch.wordpress.com/2009/09/11/michael-bryant-pr-firm-navigator-ltd/
this is a site that reports on the "progress" of the case, thought you guys might like to follow it.. this Navigator firm seems like evil incarnate to me.

Love4himies
November 23rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
Thank you babyrocky1, I have added it to my "favourites".

The man is a slime ball :evil::mad:

chico2
November 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
OMG,Babyrock,I could not believe it when I read Jamie Watts name,I remember him very well and the scandal here in Oakville,he's a slime-ball,he somehow wormed his way in to politics and now to a PR firm,the man is a crook,but he's keeping good company in Michael Bryant:evil:

I never read anything about MB anymore,I guess they think people will forget,but not this people..:frustrated:

babyrocky1
November 23rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
You know whats really scary Chico???? On facebook when I typed in his name, I got twelve or so "mutual friends" ME??? all polticians, the same with Robin Sears, the other big guy at Navigator! ALL Partys except Green that I found so far plus activists, lobbiest, all know these two one way or another.. so I guess they RUN THE WORLD! :eek:

chico2
November 23rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Babyrock,they are a corrupt bunch living in their own world,far apart from us"regular"people,the more I learn about them,the more disgusted I get:evil:

Love4himies
November 23rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Wow, what ethical humans run Navigator :rolleyes:. Could anybody really believe anything that came out of their mouths?

babyrocky1
November 23rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I think the trick is that people don't know its coming out of THEIR mouth.. tthey use the media, facebook, twitter, and their connections to get their spin out! And they have a ton of connections - its pretty scary!!!!

Love4himies
December 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I don't know, if I was a law firm, I don't think I would hire somebody who was facing criminal charges :confused:. I wonder what the firm is going to do if he is found guilty?

Does anybody know if he can loose his license to practise as a lawyer if he is found guilty?

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/734781--michael-bryant-joins-top-law-firm-as-adviser?bn=1

babyrocky1
December 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I just posted this on facebook this morning.. agh.. he is going to get off.. I have no faith in the system at all.. it just shows you that they are all in bed with one another and the rest of us are just a joke.. our rights, our lives, mean nothing.. sorry but I am so upset by this... He killed a man for Goodness sakes.... and his life goes on virtually uninterupted.. WTF?????????????
The VICTIMS name has been dragged through the mud and he just gets a cushy "advisory" position.. I am sure if he were found guilty he could not practice but so what??? he can ADVISE... If that law firm thought he were going to be found guilty or do time they probably wouldn't have hired him..
"innocent til proven guilty" they said in the story.. please, why are DOG OWNERS not innocent til proven guilty.. oh OUR DOGS MIGHT BE DANGEROUS! But our dogs didn't kill anybody AAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek ::eek:

Love4himies
December 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Babyrocky, you feel the same way as I do. This man is junk, pure junk!

chico2
December 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM
As do I,but I have resigned to the fact,that people like Bryant,will always come up ahead of us,no matter what they do:evil:
I am not surprised he got this job,nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the likes of Bryant and many more in his"elite"club..it stinks of corruption.

Melinda
December 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
you have got to be joking???? Where did you read that article...man oh man...I feel real safe to live in Canada now!! I'm ashamed to be canadian right at this moment

chico2
December 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I read it in the Toronto Star this morning..my heart just sank,there just is no justice....:evil:

Love4himies
January 27th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Another Delay :frustrated: :mad:. Pretty soon everybody is going to forget this incident and they will quietly give him a tiny slap on the wrist.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/talks-in-bryant-case-put-over-till-march/article1441782/#comments

Timothy Appleby
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published on Saturday, Jan. 23, 2010 12:00AM EST
Last updated on Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2010 3:40AM EST
Pre-trial case-management discussions between prosecution and defence in the criminal case against former Ontario attorney-general Michael Bryant were put over yesterday until March 15.

Mr. Bryant is charged with criminal negligence causing death and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle in the Aug. 31 death of bike courier Darcy Allan Sheppard on Bloor Street West. He did not attend the brief hearing.

Melinda
January 27th, 2010, 11:49 AM
what a farce......and what a mockery of our judicial system

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
January 27th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Knowing my luck, this piece of filth will walk and take another life. Once someone starts off abusing animals, only a matter of time until a human life is taken and we know it has happened :(

Love4himies
March 4th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I believe tomorrow Bryant is to make another court appearance. Hopefully something will get accomplished.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2010/01/22/lawyers-in-court-today-to-discuss-michael-bryant-case.aspx

Like this guy's take on Bryant:

http://tochat.tv/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=351

chico2
March 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM
L4H,thank's,I was wondering when we would hear about the arrogant killer MB,nothing in the paper:confused:
Like with Michael Vick,I'll never forget the evil deeds of Michael Bryant,but unfortunately people do:yell:

Love4himies
March 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM
L4H,thank's,I was wondering when we would hear about the arrogant killer MB,nothing in the paper:confused:
Like with Michael Vick,I'll never forget the evil deeds of Michael Bryant,but unfortunately people do:yell:

Nope, everything is hush, hush. Of course Bryant wants it that way, he did his spinning back in Sept until the truth came out on video, then it all stopped.

For those who have not seen the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFISP_PrhFo

Melinda
March 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I will never forget what Vicks did, and I am ever hopeful justice will be served and Bryant will at the very least get 5 yrs for leaving the scene....life for knowing the victim was dead as the page love4h posted stated

chico2
March 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Melinda,I wish that was true,but I am certain MB will not spend one single day in jail:evil:
Talking about Vick.I was flicking channels on the TV and could not believe I saw MV and his wife on reality TV,sickening to say the least.

Melinda
March 4th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I know Chico, now hows that for a hero for our children?? Murder and torture dogs and get your own tv show....soon it will be , run a man over with your sports car while drunk and get a first class job in politics where you can further your career by picking and choosing loving pets to be put to death....:offtopic::sorry:

Love4himies
March 9th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Geesh, will this ever go to court :yell: :rolleyes:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/bryant-case-put-over-until-april-14/article1492226/

Timothy Appleby
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published on Saturday, Mar. 06, 2010 12:00AM EST
Last updated on Saturday, Mar. 06, 2010 3:33AM EST
The criminal case against former Ontario attorney-general Michael Bryant, charged with criminal negligence causing death and dangerous driving, has been put over to April 14.

Mr. Bryant did not appear at the brief hearing, where lawyer Mark Sandler, speaking for the Crown told the court that "disclosure is now in essence complete." It's alleged that cyclist Darcy Allan Sheppard died in August after grabbing onto a car in downtown Toronto following an altercation with the driver.

Because Mr. Bryant was once in charge of appointing Ontario's judges and prosecutors, Vancouver lawyer Richard Peck has been brought in as prosecutor to avoid any conflict of interest.

Melinda
March 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM
is that not unreal or what??? I feel so sorry for mr Sheppards family and friends

chico2
March 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM
It does not surprise me,one day we will find it's all thrown out of court,the laws are different for people like Bryant:evil:

mummummum
March 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM
:evil: is right. There's one law for us and quite another for them. Look at what ex-MP Rahim Jaffer ended up with ~ pled guilty to careless driving when he was charged with drunk driving, cocaine possession. A $500 fine and he's on his merry way. :evil:

chico2
March 10th, 2010, 07:27 AM
3mum,for certain,there are "them" and "us",Rahim Jaffer a perfect example,Michael Bryant will be another:evil:

Love4himies
May 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
There are two sets of laws in this country. After that damning video of M B hitting the bike first.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/05/25/14081501.html

Cycling advocates decry decision to drop Bryant's charges
Last Updated: May 25, 2010 12:12pm
Email StoryPrintSize A A AReport Typo Share:

Biking advocates and friends of Darcy Allan Sheppard were outraged to learn charges were dropped against Michael Bryant.

Marli Epp, the spokesman for the Toronto Bike Messenger Association, told the Sun the justice system has failed.

"It's legal to kill somebody with their car in this country," Epp said. "That's unacceptable. We are questioning the fact that justice cannot be served here."

The association is planning a vigil at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday along Bloor St. W., just east of Avenue Rd., where Sheppard died.

A ghost bike marking the spot on the south side of the street where Sheppard's body was found had been placed on the spot in the wake of Bryant's charges last year. It has since been moved to the north side of the street due to ongoing construction.

Epp, who knew the 33-year-old cyclist and bike messenger, said Sheppard was a "good guy."

"He would give you the shirt off his back," she said.

Yvonne Bambrick, executive director of the Toronto Cyclists Union, said she was disappointed in the outcome of the case but "not surprised."

"I'm at a loss," she said. "It's an inadequate outcome and very disappointing."

Bambrick questioned why it mattered that Sheppard's blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit when he was struck and killed.

"What difference does that make?" she asked. "(Bryant) is in a car, he's got lots of options. "There is always a choice to make and he made the wrong choice in this case and it resulted in a death."

Bambrick also worried about the precedent the case sets.

"What kind of message does that send to drivers?" she said.

Derek Chadbourne of Advocacy Respect Cyclists (ARC) questioned why past reports of Sheppard's angry encounters with motorists should factor into the Bryant case.

He asked why Bryant's history of being a fighter wasn't raised in the case.

Chadbourne wants to know what would have happened if Bryant wasn't a former attorney general and "well-connected."

"Perhaps things would have been different," he sighed.

BenMax
May 25th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Power and money...what's new.

14+kitties
May 25th, 2010, 12:48 PM
:candle::rip: Justice :candle:

Chaser
May 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I am so disgusted with this...

chico2
May 25th, 2010, 04:06 PM
You know L4H,I suspected this was going to happen:evil:that's why they dragged it out like this..
I am sickened by the unfairness,there definitely is a 2-tier system of justice in Ontario.
You got money ,you get off killing a person:evil:
SICKENING,to say the least:evil:

mastifflover
May 26th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I also assumed this would happen. Amazing what political cronies and money will buy. If that were any average citizen this would not have been the outcome. Darcy may have been an ass but that does not mean he should have been killed with no repercussions to the offender. Don't be shocked and appalled when he runs in the next election, but that is when our voices can be heard by not electing this a$$hole. I am disgusted by our so called justice system :rip:

happycats
May 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
OMG that's sickening!! and so infuriating!
Our polititians are a big joke! They are more corrupt then the mafia !
Ever see this one?

GUESS WHICH ONE.......

Even if you aren't a sports fan this is very interesting!

36 have been accused of spousal abuse
7 have been arrested for fraud
19 have been accused of writing bad checks
117 have directly or indirectlybankrupted at least 2 businesses
3 have done time for assault
71 repeat 71
cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 currently are defendants in lawsuits,
and
84 have been arrested for drunk driving
in the last year

Can
you guess which organization this is?
NBA Or NFL
?

Give up yet?
Scroll down,

Neither,
it's the MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE OF COMMONS IN OTTAWA
The same group of Idiots that crank out
hundreds of new laws each year
designed to keep the rest of us in line.

You gotta pass this one on!

BenMax
May 26th, 2010, 12:09 PM
That is just scary Happycats!:eek:

Stand proud Canada:cool:

Love4himies
May 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks for sharing that Happycats.

These people are elected officials, meaning it is US who is giving them these high power jobs.

It really boils down on who has charisma and some money who gets in.

chico2
May 26th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I might be biased,because I already hated the man,who caused the death of hundreds of innocent dogs.
However I was hoping Karma would catch up with him and he'd go to jail,even if only for a month,but no,he was directly responsible for a young mans death and whether he was a drunk or not ,it should make no difference.
I am just disgusted with the whole thing,I just hope I never have to see Bryants smirky face again.

JJO
May 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Just for the record, I am NOT a fan of M.Bryant either (he was our
councilor/rep.at St.Paul's) nor did I agree w/ most of his controversial
laws/bans.

But in all fairness, I think both sides of the tragedy must be seen & heard: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/christie-blatchford/for-michael-bryant-an-extraordinary-kind-of-justice/article1580911/

And for bikers/cyclists : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/marcus-gee/darcy-sheppard-the-wrong-kind-of-hero-for-bike-advocates/article1582408/

Now onto more pertinent matters...gotta walk the :dog:

Love4himies
May 27th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Just for the record, I am NOT a fan of M.Bryant either (he was our
councilor/rep.at St.Paul's) nor did I agree w/ most of his controversial
laws/bans.

But in all fairness, I think both sides of the tragedy must be seen & heard: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/christie-blatchford/for-michael-bryant-an-extraordinary-kind-of-justice/article1580911/

And for bikers/cyclists : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/marcus-gee/darcy-sheppard-the-wrong-kind-of-hero-for-bike-advocates/article1582408/

Now onto more pertinent matters...gotta walk the :dog:

Just to let you know that you can't believe what you read in papers, they publish parts of stories, what ever will create controversy and sell papers. They don't give all the facts.

Love4himies
June 1st, 2010, 10:16 AM
Although we are not privy to the facts of each of these cases, on the surface, they do look very similar. Both feared for their lives, both used a car, both victims had a history of drinking and violence, but the one in this story lived and admitted it was his own fault, poor Darcy can't do that.

Charges unfairly pursued: Toronto accused
CBC News
A Toronto woman charged with assault says it's unfair the Crown is pursuing her case after the supposed victim said the incident was his fault.

Lori Ann LaForge said her case is similar to that of the former attorney general Michael Bryant, who had charges dropped against him on May 25.

LaForge said in July 2009 her father, who had been drinking that morning, jumped onto the roof her car.

"He's got the windshield wiper in his hand and he's trying to rip it off," said LaForge, reciting the incident.

LaForge said her father fell off the car and broke his leg after she became scared and tried to drive away.

"My father has always been very mean and very abusuive and I just was afraid, I just wanted to get away," said LaForge. "I was afraid I was honestly afraid he was going to hurt me so I had to honestly stop what was going on."

She was charged with aggravated assault in connection with the incident.

Her father, whose name has not been disclosed, wrote two letters asking the Crown to drop the charges against his daughter because the incident was his own "stupidity."

LaForge said it's not fair that charges against Bryant were dropped but hers persist.

"Because of his status he gets off," she said. "I have the supposed victim saying I wasn't at fault and they are still trying to press charges against me."

Lawyer Ernest Guiste said he doesn't understand how the Crown can justify withdrawing Bryant's charges but not LaForge's.

"When I look at the Bryant case and I look at her case I cannot understand how one can justify Lori Ann LaForge being prosecuted and the charges against Mr. Bryant being withdrawn," said Guiste. "Similar cases ought to be decided in a similar fashion if Bryant's charges are to be withdrawn. The facts of this case are clearly more compelling."

The Ministry of the Attorney General has not responded to calls about the case.

LaForge will be in court again in September to face the charges.

Her father has moved and no one seems to know where he is.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/06/01/toronto-charges-bryant-laforge.html#ixzz0pc6la6Rb

BenMax
June 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM
:offtopic: Mulroney for instance. An inquiry for about 300,000 $ squirreled away money which costed us tax payers 16 million? Where is the justice there as well? Why is he not serving a penality for unethical conduct? How come WE paid for this inquiry? When do we get compensated?

Politics/politicians and justice are bedfellows. Neither seem to 'get it right'...they just 'get it on'.

Sorry for the rant.

Frenchy
June 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM
:offtopic: Mulroney for instance. An inquiry for about 300,000 $ squirreled away money which costed us tax payers 16 million?

Yep , I heard about that yesterday :mad:

mastifflover
June 2nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Remember there are two sets of laws those that govern the everyday citizen and the laws that govern the rich and politicians and the well connected. Those charges should be dropped but will they?, probably not or at least till she spends a fortune in legal fees.