Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Horribly worried about lump in Nahlie's leg after vaccination! Please help.

Nahlie's Mommy
August 31st, 2009, 11:56 PM
Hello -

I am new to this site. I stumbled across it while searching for answers concerning the lump I found in my cat's leg nine days after a booster vaccination.

I took Nahlie to get her booster vaccination for rabies on August 20, 2009 and the vaccination was placed in her right leg. Unfortunately, she wasn't too thrilled and was literally twirling in the air as the needle was placed in her leg. I started crying because I felt so awful that she was being put through this against her will. Nine days later I was sitting on my computer in the best of moods as I went to pet her and discovered a lump in her leg. My mood immediately went from delight to devastation.

Site after site I went through made me feel more horrible than the previous and then I found this forum. Although helpful, I am still scared out of my mind that my precious baby could have cancer and worst of all, I may have caused it by letting her get that darn vaccination.

On most of the forums about Vaccination Associated Sarcomas, people have mentioned lumps that were the size of peas or they haven't meantioned the size at all. This has me very worried. Nahlie's lump is about the size of a small grape that is cut in half. It's about 1.5 cm in diameter and is raised about .5 cm, that's the best of my ability to try and cut the hair off of it and measure with a tape measure.

I called her vet as soon as I could on Monday morning and mentioned what I had found on the internet and told him the measurments of the lump. He told me that I should definitely watch it and if it's not shrinking or gone by one month after the injection, September 20, that I need to bring her in to get it biopsied. That makes me sick to my stomach because I feel terrible that I have to bring her back to get poked and proded some more and she doesn't understand why.

I am beside myself worrying about her and have been crying on and off since I found the lump on August 29th. I would really appreciate any information and/or support. No one I talk to understands how much I love her, nor do they understand that she's a cat, but I love her as if she was a human in my family.

Anyone that has dealt with this before: I would really appreciate if you could tell me how large the lump was that you discovered. I keep hearing pea-sized, mosquito bite-sized and other things similar in size. Nalah's is small grape-sized and it's really making me lean more towards cancer and it's killing me. Any insight would help.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any replies.

Mommy and Nahlie

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2009, 12:09 AM
Hi, Nahlie's Mommy.

We have dogs, not cats, but we've had a lots of lump scares after vaccinations. I know how worrisome they can be. :grouphug:

One thing I learned very quickly was not to 'play' with it--when I was constantly worrying at it, the lump would get bigger--a product of the irritation I was causing by feeling it all the time. :o So my advice would be to take a deep breath, grab your patience with both hands, and try to leave the lump alone for a week. After a week, measure it again--by then :fingerscr that you'll be seeing a reduction in the size of the lump. Then wait another week before measuring it yet again. That way you'll be getting a truer picture of what the lump is doing.

I know it's hard not to worry :grouphug: But vaccination lumps are fairly common and only a small proportion of them turn into cancer. So there's a good chance that Nalah's lump will just subside :goodvibes:

Is she an indoor-only kitty? You might want to talk to the vet about either reducing the number of rabies vaccinations she gets in the future, or maybe even cutting them out entirely and maybe use titer testing instead. There is some good evidence out there that the immunity offered by the vaccinations lasts a lot longer than most people think.

Welcome to the board, btw. What part of WI are you from? :D

Tundra_Queen
September 1st, 2009, 02:45 AM
Hi
7 years ago when I had my first cat vaccinated the same thing happened and we were very worried, so we did have it biopsyed, but it was just from the vaccination shot.

The same thing has happened with my other 2 cats too. I would only start worrying if the lump doesn't go away in a month like the vet said.

Debbie

Nahlie's Mommy
September 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hello -

Thanks for the input! I will do my best to stop worrying and fiddling with the lump. It's so hard to not feel it for a quick second when she's sitting by me or I'm trimming her nails.

She's an indoor-only kitty. The only outdoors she gets is when I take her on my deck (usually I'm holding her in place) and brush her. She's out for a maximum of five minutes. She never gets contact with other animals either.

How big were the lumps that everyone has noticed? Like I said, on here I keep seeing pea-sized and mosquito bite-sized lumps that owners are noticing and hers is about the size of a small grape that is cut in half. Have either of you seen lumps this large?

I'm in the midwestern portion of Wisconsin. La Crosse, Wisconsin.

Thanks -

Nalah and her Mommy

Melinda
September 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM
Brina is a lab/shepherd, so a bit different from a cat, but after each vaccination she gets a lump the size of half a golfball, the first time I was terrified, the vet I called said it was very common and to give her bayer aspirin if it was bothering her, didn't bother her *L* just bothered me, took a good 3 weeks for it to vanish completely

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM
:grouphug::grouphug: and another one :grouphug:.

Jasper got a huge lump after his vaccines last year. It was, at the biggest, about 2 inches in diameter. It was soft and squishy. I found it about a week after his vaccine and it lasted for two weeks after that. I will never get him vaccinated again.

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2009, 10:31 AM
L4H, I think that was the largest lump I'd ever heard of! :eek: That would definitely have freaked hazel out! :grouphug:

On the dogs they range is size from a half-inch to maybe an inch-and-a-quarter across, Nahlie's Mommy. So they can get quite big.

We're sort of in the same neck of the woods--we're just east of Eau Claire, so a little north of you. :D

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 10:38 AM
L4H, I think that was the largest lump I'd ever heard of! :eek: That would definitely have freaked hazel out! :grouphug:

On the dogs they range is size from a half-inch to maybe an inch-and-a-quarter across, Nahlie's Mommy. So they can get quite big.

It could have gotten that big because super upset/worried/frantic mom wouldn't stop checking on it :o

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
It could have gotten that big because super upset/worried/frantic mom wouldn't stop checking on it :o
:laughing: Ah...you have hazel's disease! :p Gotta check it every five minutes to see if there's been some miraculous change. :o

Nahlie's Mommy
September 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hello -

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to ever vaccinate her again after this. I don't care if it's required by law, I will say she passed on to get out of it. Lying is bad, I realize, but I can't take this stress of thinking my baby girl is going to die. Nalah is a cat, so I hope that her lump (1.5 cm) isn't anything to be too concerned about. I felt it quite a bit, but it doesn't feel that squishy to me. I guess I will just have to wait it out and see if it goes down. I've told myself that I can't touch it until next week Monday to see if it's gone down or changed any. I'm praying this all goes away and that she doesn't even have to get it biopsied. I don't even know how much that costs, but I know that I don't have extra money to be throwing away either if this is just a reaction. I am so stressed out. My poor little kitty.

Concerned Mommy

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
We had one incident where the vaccination lump was needle biopsied and there was some evidence that it was a mast cell tumor. One messy surgery later, complete with drains and a mess of stitches, the pathology came back as vaccination reaction :rolleyes: So don't be too quick to do anything surgical. As long as the lump gets smaller, it's okay to wait it out a while longer.

:goodvibes: for her! And no cheating and checking the lump early. :grouphug:

You might be able to get by with a titer result and a note from the vet--talk to your vet about it next time you go in and see if they'll do that for licensing requirements (I'm assuming that the rabies is required for a cat license? It is for a dog license, but at least it's only every 3 years now, instead of every year!)

Nahlie's Mommy
September 1st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Well, I hope I don't even have to get a biopsy. I am just so worried. I can't stop thinking about it and it's interrupting my daily life! I just feel so guilty that if this does turn out to be cancer, it's completely my fault for getting the stupid vaccination. I will never forgive myself. She's the best cat I've ever had and has a personality just like one I've always wanted. I just feel terrible because if we do have to go back in, she doesn't understand why and it's so sad that I'm the one causing her to go back. If she has to have surgery or a leg amputated that is also extremely sad because she just doesn't know it's to save her life, when I could have just skipped the vaccination if I had known this could be a side effect! Ahh, I'm going crazy.

Love4himies
September 1st, 2009, 05:24 PM
That is exactly how I felt with Jasper's lump. As Hazel stated, leave it alone (cause checking on it every 5 minutes makes it bigger )

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Likely it won't need to be biopsied, Nahlie's Mommy. Most of these resolve on their own.

:goodvibes:

Tundra_Queen
September 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hello -

Thanks for the input! I will do my best to stop worrying and fiddling with the lump. It's so hard to not feel it for a quick second when she's sitting by me or I'm trimming her nails.

She's an indoor-only kitty. The only outdoors she gets is when I take her on my deck (usually I'm holding her in place) and brush her. She's out for a maximum of five minutes. She never gets contact with other animals either.

How big were the lumps that everyone has noticed? Like I said, on here I keep seeing pea-sized and mosquito bite-sized lumps that owners are noticing and hers is about the size of a small grape that is cut in half. Have either of you seen lumps this large?

I'm in the midwestern portion of Wisconsin. La Crosse, Wisconsin.

Thanks -

Nalah and her Mommy

Willie's lump was about the size of the one on your cat.

Debbie

Nahlie's Mommy
October 6th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I just wanted to update everyone that responded to my post about Nalah's lump after getting her Rabies Vaccine! I kept the area shaved (so I could keep a CLOSE eye on it) and check it periodically throughout the week and it kept getting smaller and smaller. As I'm petting her right now, I can't even find the lump. I only know where it was located because her hair hasn't completely grown back! Thank you all for the support and kind words of encouragment. I love her like she's a child (I'm not married yet, not until May 1, 2010 and don't have any children of my own) and no one understood that, which is the reason I turned to this site. Thank you again and I hope this message finds you all enjoying the beginning of fall (we're spoiled with all the colors here in Wisconsin) and that your pets are all happy and healthy!

Thanks -

Nahlie's Mommy!

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Yay, for Nahlie!!! :highfive: What a relief, eh? :grouphug:

kaybabe03
November 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I am so grateful to have found this website. My cat, a 2 1/2 year old Maine Coon had a vaccination about three weeks ago. Last week, I noticed a lump on his back leg and immediately took him to the vet. I have been so scared that it's a sarcoma, and researching on the internet, it seemed to be a HUGE problem and an automatic occurrence with vaccine swelling. Needless to say, I have been worried sick about my little boy, but after reading this site, I feel much better. The swelling has already started to go down, and with all of his other allergy trouble (to certain foods and plastic), I think he might just be having a reaction. This website helped me to calm down and realize that the lump does NOT equal cancer. Of course, I will keep a close eye on it, but I do feel better after reading all of this information. Thank you all so much :cat:

hazelrunpack
November 30th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I'm glad to hear your cat's lump is going down :thumbs up

Internet research can be great, but it does get to be a bit scary at times, doesn't it? :grouphug: For some reason, the search results I find always seem to point toward the worst outcome possible :shrug: