Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any sites I can go to?

KateyBaby
August 31st, 2009, 03:59 AM
Where I can read about normal behavior for cats after giving birth? I am calling a vet tomorrow to find out how Deah is doing and if she is ok, but right now, I just need something to read to be able to go back to sleep. (It is 3:50am here). Heres what happened:

I woke up, Im still not sure why but I look over towards Deah's box, not like I can see since its so dark, then look about 3 feet away and see a shape. Deah was sitting near a basket facing it, away from me. When she looked at me (Im assuming she was looking at me, I saw her head turn in my direction) she just stared then walked past the box and slowly walked out of the room into the bathroom, I had my hand outstretched to pet her and she walked right past. I was going to just go back to sleep but something told me to turn on the light to see what she was doing over there like that. There was throw up on the floor. So I went into the bathroom and she was laying on the floor. I came in and went pee (I know, TMI) and while I was, she started to throw up again. This time it was mostly liquid. (The first it was mostly chunks.) And there wasnt much this time. So I pet her and then once I opened the door, she walked out into the kitchen to lay down. I went to check her and her vuvla had a little bit of blood...Earlier today (yesterday technically speaking), I went to pick up a kitten bc it was going under her in the back area. I got blood on my hand. I checkd out the kitten, no blood. I looked at her vuvla, and she had some blood there.

Is it normal for a cat to bleed a little over 24 hours after giving birth? And what about the throw up??

I would like to have no bashing me or rude advice in this post please, just good advice. Thanks. :)

KateyBaby
August 31st, 2009, 04:00 AM
Oh, I didnt mention: Deah ahd her kittens on the 28th around 10pm. (began at 10pm) So you all dont have to go back to read my other posts to know when she did. If knowing when she had them helps.

KateyBaby
August 31st, 2009, 04:03 AM
Here is one thing I just found: "The mother will have a bloody vaginal discharge for 3-14 days following delivery. If it continues for longer then she should be examined by a veterinarian for possible problems."

And also: "The mother and her litter should be examined by a veterinarian within 24 hours after the delivery is completed. This visit is to check the mother for complete delivery and to check the newborn kittens. The mother may receive an injection to contract the uterus and stimulate milk production."

Are vets even open on weekends?? What do you do in that scenario?

KateyBaby
August 31st, 2009, 04:16 AM
Oh man, I misread the word "food"...I thought I was in a different forum. How can I fix that???

Tundra_Queen
August 31st, 2009, 08:00 AM
Katey, I would start calling around for a vet that is open this morning. Because Deah was so tiny to start with she might definately be in distress and the longer u let it go without seeing a vet the worse it could get. And cats can go down hill very quickly!

Debbie

Tundra_Queen
August 31st, 2009, 08:04 AM
Katey, I just noticed u put this thread in the dog and cat food forum I think it needs to go in the cat health forum.

Debbie

Love4himies
August 31st, 2009, 08:06 AM
Yes, momma and all the kittens (don't separate them) should be off to the vet for a quick check up. For the next 6 weeks, if one has to go to the vet, all have to go. It prevents any of them from smelling different and momma rejecting one or all of the kittens.

You may want to consider supplementing momma with some raw chicken, or putting her on better cat food than Wiskas. She should be on a high meat, canned diet so she can adequately produce enough milk for the kittens and to keep herself healthy.

mollywog
August 31st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Katey, did you manage to book a vet appt? PLEASE do what is right for Deah and see a vet with her and the kittens. Good luck. :goodvibes:

lUvMyLaB<3
August 31st, 2009, 11:05 AM
yes. I answered your other thread saying those exact things. Did you let her eat all the placentas? There will be discharge, but should be hardly noticable and shouldnt be continuous.. I am not sure what the amount is but seen as you dont know what normal is, you need to get her to someone that does. Please get better food, give her raw meat too, when you have meat out, give her some, take her in then let us know how she is.