Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gryphon got sprayed by a Skunk--AGAIN!

Dee-O-Gee
August 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Well it happened again! He got it right in the nose this time. :frustrated:

The good thing about this spraying is that it happened around 9:00 pm last night (rather than midnight like the last time). :thumbs up

The bad thing was that it happened right in the middle of my hosting a birthday party in my backyard--filled with over 50 people! :yell: :yell:

Needless to say, had to change into scrubby clothes, get out the peroxide, baking soda and hose while my guest looked on. I think he felt embarrassed. :o

Now it will be another six months before he smells normal! :frustrated:

edwina
August 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I hate that smell. :sad:

Dee-O-Gee
August 30th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Well Edwina...there's nothing like a fresh skunk smell on an animal. Fortunately, I always keep an emergency stash of peroxide just for this occassion. Note to self....must go and buy another quart! :yell:

growler~GateKeeper
August 30th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Oh Gryph :rolleyes: again *tsk tsk* silly dog you're supposed to stay away from them!

Tundra_Queen
August 31st, 2009, 02:43 AM
Gryphon you've got to stay away from those black and white puddy cats! :D

SnowDancer
August 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM
You could take him to a groomer who will use products they have to help get rid of residual smell - OR - you could try rubbing him with a couple of tubes of toothpaste - groomers do this - and it really helps. I have the baking soda, peroxide at the ready just in case - but apparently lots of toothpaste really does the trick. And I am sure you know this, but the collar or harness could well be toast.

friend2animals
August 31st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Poor Kitty...:sad: btw, does the toothpaste and peroxide work as well on humans?;)

hazelrunpack
August 31st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Gryphon was simply ensuring that Mom kept her guests properly entertained! :angel:

:sorry:, but reading your description of scrubby clothes, peroxide and baking soda, I had to laugh :o :laughing: That's quite the mental image! :p

omd, what an eventful week you've had! :grouphug: That'll teach you to plan a party, klm! :o hazel gave it up long ago as a lost cause... :D

Love4himies
August 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Awww, Gryphon just wanted to make sure that everybody was entertained and had something to talk about for the next month or so :grouphug:

14+kitties
August 31st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Silly doggie. How do you do it? You seem to attract those things. By now you should know better than to try playing with them. :rolleyes:

Dee-O-Gee
August 31st, 2009, 09:48 PM
:sorry:, but reading your description of scrubby clothes, peroxide and baking soda, I had to laugh :o :laughing: That's quite the mental image! :p

Oh I forgot to mention the bright blue palmolive dish gloves too! :D

He was quite the character and I could sense that he felt embarassed with all the people around--poor boy. :sad:

The peroxide worked pretty well this time on his nose. I also used arm & hammer baking soda toothpaste which also help to neutralize the odor too! :thumbs up

Ho hum....I guess he'll never learn! :yell:

Dee-O-Gee
August 31st, 2009, 09:49 PM
Awww, Gryphon just wanted to make sure that everybody was entertained and had something to talk about for the next month or so :grouphug:

While we'll all talk about Gryphon's adventure for the next month or so...we'll remember this day for the next six months every time it rains or he has a bath! :frustrated:

Smiley14
August 31st, 2009, 09:51 PM
I can't believe he got skunked again! :eek: Poor Gryphon! And poor you, LOL! :laughing: :yuck:

Dee-O-Gee
August 31st, 2009, 10:13 PM
I'll tell you...what an ordeal this was! All my guests sitting around a bonfire enjoying the evening then POOF! Eeeewwwwhh a SKUNK! :eek:

No sooner I get him all peroxide down and bathed...it started to drizzle rain! :frustrated: Then all of a sudden, the skies opened and it turned into a monsoon! :yell: :yell:

Everyone poured into my house (including skunky Gryphon) for about 15 minutes then the skies cleared. Fortunately, the fire held it's own and was still going. We all ventured back out (including skunky Gryphon) and continued on. :thumbs up

While the party is over--the stink still lingers! :frustrated:

Dee-O-Gee
October 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM
Well...a year and a bit later, He did it again last night. :frustrated:

Gryphon strolled up to the little black and white kitty around 11:00 p.m. and got it right in the face and neck.

Out came the peroxide, baking soda and dish soap as soon as it happened. It's amazing how fast it takes the smell out of him (or our noses are use to it) but man-o-man it sure does linger in the house. :yell:

Simmering Cinnamon bark on the stove and candles are all lit. :thumbs up

luckypenny
October 1st, 2010, 07:35 PM
You know, I think Gryphon is just the sweetest :angel: for consistently attempting to befriend skunks. He doesn't judge based on smell alone :D.

the gang
October 1st, 2010, 07:36 PM
poor you guys :yuck: been there done that, brenda and the pins

Love4himies
October 1st, 2010, 08:08 PM
Ummmmm, Gryphon you need to stay away from those funny looking kitties :p

Hope the smell comes out soon :pray:

Dee-O-Gee
October 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
You know, I think Gryphon is just the sweetest :angel: for consistently attempting to befriend skunks. He doesn't judge based on smell alone :D.

He LOVES :lovestruck: everybody and everything. 99% of the time, it's a good thing but, that 1%....:frustrated:
poor you guys :yuck: been there done that, brenda and the pins

7 times brenda? :o

Ummmmm, Gryphon you need to stay away from those funny looking kitties :p

Hope the smell comes out soon :pray:

About 6 months for him and about a month inside the house L4H. I walked into my office this morning and all the staff could smell skunk as soon as I walked in. :yell:

Love4himies
October 1st, 2010, 08:56 PM
About 6 months for him and about a month inside the house L4H. I walked into my office this morning and all the staff could smell skunk as soon as I walked in. :yell:

:eek: I had no idea it took that long

hazelrunpack
October 1st, 2010, 09:27 PM
Ya, nothin' like a good skunkin' to clear out the sinuses, klm :rolleyes: Obviously, some dogs need sinus cleansing more often than others. :p Gryphon, you stinky :angel: you!

Dee-O-Gee
October 1st, 2010, 11:19 PM
:eek: I had no idea it took that long

It'll go away in a couple of weeks on him but if he gets wet in the rain or has another bath, it will come back, in and out for the next several months. :frustrated:

Personally, I thought the house smelt fine with all the candles and cinnamon simmering on the stove but when DH came back from grocery shopping, he said it still stunk of skunk. :yell:

Dee-O-Gee
October 1st, 2010, 11:50 PM
Ya, nothin' like a good skunkin' to clear out the sinuses, klm :rolleyes: Obviously, some dogs need sinus cleansing more often than others. :p Gryphon, you stinky :angel: you!

And then some Hazel! :yuck: He just doesn't get that they are not your average fun furry friend! :shrug:

Thank dawg we had a talkin to Mollie about these little black & white Kitties and she hasn't been curious about em yet. :D

14+kitties
October 2nd, 2010, 12:01 AM
:yell:GRYPHON!!!!!!! :yell: