Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Vomiting

Arjay
August 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I wasn't sure what thread to look in for this one. My cat has been throwing up since Thursday, although not as frequently today. It's yellow and sometimes foamy looking. I did notice a bit of grass in it today. He hasn't eaten wet or dry food nor has he had anything to drink. I leave the front window open so that he can come and go when he likes. I also just found out that 1 or 2 dogs in the complex passed away from Parvo and the BCSPCA has taken a couple away. My cat seems like himself except for the not eating part, he's not as defined as he used to be and he doesn't clean himself much, if at all and spends a lot of time sleeping.

Love4himies
August 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Your cat is sick and needs to see a vet. I strongly suggest getting a blood panel done and a urinalysis.

sugarcatmom
August 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Absolutely a vet appointment ASAP. In fact, you might consider taking him to emergency if you have one in your area. The not eating part is very serious as cats that go more than 48 hrs without food are at risk of developing hepatic lipidosis. Can you try tempting him with some low-sodium canned salmon or tuna, or some plain chicken baby food? What does he normally eat? Will he take treats if you offer them?

Arjay
August 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I usually give him half a small can of wet food as a treat. He hasn't touched it. The dry food has dairy in it, at first I thought he may be allergic to it. My other cat, that's with my ex can't have milk. He doesn't seem to have any sort of appetite at all. He meows in response if I ask him if he wants wet food but won't eat. He did have a few bites which he ended up vomiting up a few moments later. I did notice a sore just under his ear. He scratches at it but not all the time. Poor guy makes me sad to see him this way.

Love4himies
August 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Most cats can't eat dairy as they are lactose intolerant.

Do you have any chicken in the house that you can gently cook for him to entice him to eat something, canned tuna, salmon?

He may have allergies to the food you are feeding him. What canned are you trying to get him to eat?

I still strongly suggest a vet appt ASAP.

Arjay
August 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I put a small amount of salmon on a dish, he seems to be eating it. The wet food is whiskas. He ate the other wet that I got for him. Can't remember the name but he didn't like it much. I think he ate the dry food because I didn't have any, was buying the small cans of wet. It's odd that cats are lactose intolerant and yet some drink milk, or is it cat milk? I feel bad for him, I'm not working but I make sure he has food first. I don't know if the dogs around here stress him out or not.

Love4himies
August 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM
It is very possible that the dogs stress him. I am concerned about his vomiting and lack of appetite. That is a sure sign of illness of some sort.

Canned food is better for him than kibble. What about Fancy Feast, some of the pate varieties that don't have any wheat or wheat gluten in it? He may like that type of food.

Arjay
August 29th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I thought feeding him wet would be better than dry, not so binding. So, any kind of pate from fancy feast is good? I used to cut the chunk ones up just so that they'd be easier to eat. Luckily the closest vet is only a few blocks away, I don't know if they're open tomorrow but I'm going to go see, good to know their hours too and if they have an emerg or not. What scared me the most was the parvo going around. He seems happy here altho he doesn't have his feline family close by. I thought about getting another cat later so he has a companion. And thank you both for your info.

Love4himies
August 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I don't think cats can get the canine version of parvo :shrug:.

There is salmon or tuna and whitefish Fancy Feast that I know is pate and gluten free. Not sure what other varieties are.

catlover2
August 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Is he an indoor/outdoor cat? You mentioned the sore under his ear. Is it possible he's been in a fight? Could be a bite puncture, and it's become infected. That would certainly cause him to lose his appetitie and vomit. He should be checked out by a vet. If it's a bite wound, he'll need an antibiotic to combat the infection. Do see the vet tomorrow.