Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For those who would like to know..

KateyBaby
August 29th, 2009, 12:08 AM
My cat Deah has finally had her kittens. :) She had four. I will post some pictures as soon as I load them onto my computer. But now, it is 1am and the kittens are drinking and Deah is resting. All in all, it was a great birth. I think after having the first one, it was a lot easier for her. During the first one, I was pushing her hind legs to help her and she was biting me and clawing me. Not hard or mean. But after that one, she was great. The times apart were all different. About 10 min, then 15, then 20, then 25. So it gradually got longer and longer. So I was wondering if there were more after the 4th. I thought she was done after the 3rd but then out popped another one. They are adorable. She did great. My son told me he wanted to name one Katey lol. We will think about names later. :) Pictures soon! Thank you to everyone who helped me out and gave me some advice in my first thread!

mollywog
August 29th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Glad to hear that kittens and Mama are all doing ok. Please keep us posted! I just read your first thread, from when you found out she was pregnant. You were only off by 1 day about the due date! What kind of food did you end up choosing for her?
:goodvibes: for Deah and kitties :cat:

mollywog
August 29th, 2009, 05:55 AM
here is the link to the original thread http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64319

KateyBaby
August 29th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Ive got her eating the wet whiskas food. I cant think of the name. I actually wrote a little more detail on my myspace so I will post it in the next reply. Last night I was so tired. It was 3am when I finally went to sleep. lol. After I post the better update, I will work on uploading pics of her and the cuties. :)

KateyBaby
August 29th, 2009, 10:23 PM
So my cat Deah was due on the 27th to have her kittens. She didnt have them that day. All day yesterday she was very clingy and cuddly with me. She would follow me. When I went into my bedroom, she would follow me and go lay in her box. But as soon as I walked out, she came out. I had my sister Kristyn (9yrs) over last night and we were sitting on the couch just petting her and petting her. After I made dinner and we all ate, Kristyn went back onto the couch and pet Deah again. After an hour, Deah got up bc she saw me and when I looked at the couch, I saw a wet spot, a small spot. I checked Deahs "privates" (lol) and sure enough, she was starting to have discharge. I took her to the bedroom and she layed down in her box. Then she had what I guess you can call contractions. She started tensing up and trying to push. So I started to panic a little bc I couldnt remember what I had read before on what to do. lol. Andrew brough my comp, code red, and tylenol in the bedroom (I had a headache) and I went to the pages I had saved. One told me to push her hind legs to help her push. So when she had a "contraction" I pushed those legs. Poor baby, I saw a tail and two back feet pop out and it stayed like that for a while. Then she started to push again and she was clawing and biting me. Not hard. Out popped the body. She stopped and the head was the only thing in. So I wasnt sure if that was safe or not. After she finally popped it out the rest of the way, I had to sit back. It looked so disgusting when it popped out. YUCK. Andrew was peeking his head in and said "I dont think you can handle if she has anymore." lmao. She cleaned it and then came the second one. This one came much faster. Head still stayed in though until she pushed again. She seemed a little confused because while she was cleaning the second one, the first one kept squeaking and she would turn to look at it and lick it. Then a third came. While she was cleaning that one, I thought she was done bc 20 min had passed. So I updated my status saying I thought she was done. As soon as I posted that, out popped another. This one was black and white with thick stripes almost like a zebra. SO CUTE. She was finally done having them and they were all having a hard time finding the milk. I tried guiding them. It was so funny watching them bc they were climbing on top of eachother and fighting over a spot. lol. So the first two were gray like Deah, the third (one of my faves) is gray with white around the neck and looks like the gray is spotted, the fourth, I already told you lol. Kristyn laughed at me when I asked her to ask Andrew for my cam. He said, "Of course shes gonna take pictures" lol. So I did take pics and when I finally decided to leave her alone and get ready for bed, she kept watching me, when I walked out of the room, she watched for me to come back. Once I did, she meowed at me over and over. A couple of times she started to get up. So I tried staying in her sight bc when she her Otis getting his medicine with his treat and saw Andrew walk in with hers, she jumped up basically throwing the kittens off of her. Poor things. This morning, while they were sleeping, she came out for her wet food. She has wandered around a bit mainly bc I am not in there anymore but she goes back in to lay with them. They are adorable. My pretty girl had the cutest little kittens. :) And my sister Kristyn was there to experience it with me. Thankfully Andrew kept Dom out of the room. I am pretty sure Deah doesnt trust him bc he is always trying to pick her up when she doesnt want to be. But I have told him, if I catch him sneaking in the room to mess with them or anything, I WILL take some of his toys away for a long time. Anywho, I am going to post pics as soon as I can. :)

edwina
August 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Yes we would like to see the family in pic form. :D

Winston
August 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Kateybaby good news on the kittens! I have never experienced seeing a cat born but can only imagine!

Hope momma and babies are doing well today. Youll have to keep a real close eye on them to make sure they are all eating well enough. I understand that a kitten can go down hill within a few hours so be sure to keep an eye on them! If I can suggest you try to get a bit better quality food in her if you can. She will need lots of good food to help her feed the babies! wet is good but are you able to pick up something a wee bit better quality?

Cant wait to see pics! they sound beautiful! keep us posted!!

KateyBaby
August 31st, 2009, 03:23 AM
I watch them all the time. It is so funny to see them fighting over a spot to nurse. They are adorable. I posted pictures in a new album. I'd watch them all day if I could.

Tundra_Queen
August 31st, 2009, 06:53 AM
They are sweet.

Were u able to get better food for the mom? Cause she will be burning calories and nutrients like crazy and u don't want her to use up her own body resources.

Debbie

lUvMyLaB<3
August 31st, 2009, 07:36 AM
i also suggest better food, not from a grocery store, but a pet specialty store. She can be eating kitten food. I like innova evo cat and kitten. Give her as much as she will eat. The rule of thumb is only touch the kittens once a day until their eyes open. This is a good time to start weighing them everyday. Please make an appointment for them now, they and mom need to be checked. Did you count the placentas? The mom needs to be checked to be sure there is nothing left in there, and there is no infection, and that her uterus is shrinking. If it is not they can give her a shot. New moms do not show any signs of illness or infection until it is too late. so it is very important to be preventitive and catious. The kittens should be quiet and still, if they are moving, restless or crying that is a sign of trouble. Please be the only one to handle them at this stage and make sure they are gaining weight daily. Good luck with the little cuties!