Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

News

CearaQC
August 28th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Well I got the white kitten into the vet today. Out of the blue they called this morning and said they had an opening so we went.

He was vaccinated as an indoor cat and on the bill it says "Eclipse 3" vaccine. Cat was NOT happy at all with the injection and let out a sound I didn't think he could make. He's resting now.

He's scheduled to be neutered on Sept 11th.

I found out today that

This vet office has 3 vets now. But yet they are still all operating out of one tiny clinic with only two exam rooms.

They have the ability to microchip pets - but do not have a chip reader. That doesn't make sense!

I say to the vet, you guys are always so busy and you have a small building. Why not get another vet and expand the practice? She tells me they've been searching for 4 years and can't find someone who isn't expecting to make a killer salary. So that means new vet students are only in it now for the money? WTF?

The waiting room was packed yet again with only five chairs and every one taken. It took over an hour to get the exam done after the appointed time.

These people may somewhat understand veterinary medicine but they are crappy business operators in my opinion. Why don't they see they can make MORE money by expanding the business to get more customers in each day?

Tundra_Queen
August 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM
ahhh 3 vets and only 2 exam rooms? Yep, your right, that doesn't make sense. Maybe u could suggest getting a portable, like they have at schools when they need more classrooms? That way they could do exams etc in it and people would have more places to sit. Just a thought.

Debbie

hazelrunpack
August 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Maybe they just can't afford to expand? If they can't find someone willing to work at the clinic because they can't bring in enough money, they might not be able to afford to build or to move to larger quarters. :shrug:

I know our vets are expanding all the time, but they lose customers when they do because they have to raise prices to support all the extra overhead. We've been going there for years and have enough dogs to get the multipet discount, so we stay because we're comfortable there and it's a little cheaper per dog--but I suspect they're losing a lot of new business just because their fee schedule is higher than a lot of other vets in the area.

CearaQC
August 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Oh I think they can afford to expand. The vet was bragging to me how they are "sitting on half a million dollars worth of equipment."

Over 10 employees were all running around like chickens with heads cut off trying to get everything done. And most of the time they are always cranky and high strung because it's always so busy and there's a high turnaround for the secretary-type person at the front desk. Seems like every time I go there, a different person is at the desk. Quebec is supposed to be bi-lingual and the secretary didn't speak one bit of English.

The place is always packed and the vet who examined kitty claimed they are looking for someone else to make the move out here. Plus I saw three people, while I was waiting, go in there just to buy prescription pet food. No clue what kind of profit they make on food alone but it must be good or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Hazel the way she was talking about the situation, it seemed that anyone who goes to work there is expecting over 200k annual salary and drive a lexus or range rover. I guess the days are gone when people just want a regular life without much materialism and can make a positive difference in the world. Seems like everyone wants big expensive toys and fancy houses.

The third vet isn't always there at the office because she says she prefers large animal care for horses, cows, etc.

When I left the exam room, the waiting room was packed again. They have plenty of business, but never enough space for customers.

And I got a pretty lecture from cow lady about how they moved other people's appointments around to fit us in, when they were the ones who called us to go in today!! I did not ask to have an appointment for today and assumed we weren't going in until September 28! :frustrated: I don't know what land of logic they live in, but it makes no sense to me.

I talk with other pet owners, asking them about their vet experiences. and the #1 complaint is how long they have to wait for services and how the appointment never starts when it was scheduled. #2 complaint was how they seem to rush through exams and diagnoses just to get the next customer in there.

Whatever investment they make would be repaid in a hurry because they could fit more patients in each day. :2cents:

hazelrunpack
August 28th, 2009, 09:57 PM
You spend how much on vet school to get your license? Gotta pay it back--can't work for peanuts if you have a ton of debt over your head.

And they may be sitting on $500,000 of equipment, but is it paid for? :shrug: There are a lot of things you can't see that might be preventing them from expanding.

Sounds like an attitude adjustment might help them though. I suspect their lalaland attitude is what keeps them from hanging on to a decent receptionist :p

CearaQC
August 29th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Oh I'm sure cost for university is out of this world. I'm not saying they don't deserve a decent salary and business profit. But there's a line between living comfortably and loving money more than animals or helping people. It should all be balanced, not leaning one way or the other.

Customers deserve to be treated with respect and not made to feel the vet is doing them a favor just by being present. Here it seems customers are seen as nothing more than sources of income and serfs bowing down to the feudal lord and master.

:sorry: Just ranting because I want our community to have better pet care services. I see how things can be improved but it feels impossible to have an intelligent conversation with these people without them condescending.

I found a book excerpt on Google books. The book is "Blackwells five-minute veterinary practice management consult."

I should get them a copy! lol