Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has lost weight

lUvMyLaB<3
August 28th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Help? My daughters cat, tickles, who is beyond special has lost weight. She has always been thin since she came to us, but she has lost some, you can feel her bones.

She has been to the vet again, and the vet really doesn't think there is anything wrong with her.. That is just the way she is.. She is the kind of cat that eat to lives, but doesn't get any enjoyment out of eating. There are some foods that if we have she would rather starve than eat it, she is a princess and only deserves the BEST! She eats Innova evo cat and kitten, and gets raw food daily. She is not an active cat, she is about 6 years old.

Any ideas? She will eat when it is feeding time, and I feed her a few times a day, it is just that she doesn't take much quantity in. If I feed her too often she just wont eat. She eats the biggest amount in the evening for some reason. She does like to graze and so I put out a large can of the food out and leave it for her and she will go back several times.. BUT someone will always go and finish it up.. I have a foster here who thinks cat food is some treat for royalty and can't get enough...

Why is she like this? why is she losing weight? what else can I do to make her take in more food? what canned food can make her gain more weight? (remembering that I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have limitless options..) what kind of raw food would make her put on more weight? I would make anything for her if it would help.

This cat has NEVER had an ounce of fat on her body... opposite of all my other animals.. so I am used to that, but I don't like the feel of her hips and shoulder blades... At the vet she has dropped only 6 ozs since may... they say...

Love4himies
August 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
And all her blood work is ok? Any vomiting, diarrhea?

Puddles barely eats anything, just seems like she takes a few licks at a time. She is normally around 8 lbs and rarely varies and is very skinny too. Just like some people, she may not have the same appetite drive as others.

catlover2
August 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Have her thyroid levels been checked lately? It does sound as it she's just a small picky eater tho, since this has been her pattern for a long time.

chico2
August 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
When my Rocky was diagnosed with Thyroid-problems,he was eating everything in site,always hungry,but still losing weight,he's ok now on meds.
But this little girl does not want to eat:confused:
My Chico will often just turn his nose up at food,but if I give him just small portions,like one table-spoon,he'll eat and I often end up giving him more.
Maybe this little one,just does not like raw:confused:

sugarcatmom
August 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Why is she like this? why is she losing weight? what else can I do to make her take in more food? what canned food can make her gain more weight?

Providing all her lab work is normal and she doesn't have any digestive issues, what about offering her more variety? I know my cat gets bored with the same thing every day and if I don't mix things up a bit, he starts to refuse meals. While Fancy Feast isn't necessarily a top-quality food, it's not horrible either and lots of cats really like it (and it's readily available everywhere). Maybe you can offer her a meal of it now and then to peak her interest, or mix it with her regular food. Another idea is to top-dress her food with pulverized treats or parmesan cheese or catnip. Powdered nutritional yeast is also highly appealing, just watch out for any allergic reactions.

lUvMyLaB<3
August 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM
yup, all blood work good. She will eat, and does get excited at ohh she just jumped up here and rubbed my cheek! Awww! K, sorry. . At mealtimes, it is just that she stops eating too soon, i would really like her to put a bit back on. Oh and she has had several litters. And she was an outdoor cat. Glad to hear l4h that mine is not the only cat. . This girl is uber super spcial. I know you know what that is like, she is not just a cat, we know she is a human trapped in a cat body, and treat her as such. . What is the best canned food to make them fat? I am oing to see if i can take a pic of her right now and post it straight from my phone.

lUvMyLaB<3
August 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM
k, well see if i did it. Lowerd the quality and it was 125 kb, so i put it to the lowest and it now says 35 kb. . . So we'll see. . .

Tundra_Queen
August 29th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I have heard that dry food has more calories compared to the same amount in wet food, but it's not as good as wet. I know Wellness sells dry food, maybe u could sprinkle some of that on top of her wet food?

Debbie

Khari
August 29th, 2009, 07:32 AM
She is so precious. I just want to give her a kiss. My sisters cat looks like your kitty. Very tiny with not much meat on her bones. Her cat throws up alot and the vet says she just has a sensitive stomach to cat food. I have tried to change my sisters mind about her doctors opinion but sometimes you can't make family listen.....:cry::cry::cry: It upsets me to no end.....

Love4himies
August 29th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I hate to say it, but I agree with Tundra-queen about kibble and I really don't like to advise kibble for any cat. I have to feed Jasper some hard food (Orijen) to keep the weight on him. If I don't, he turns to bones in the summer, even though there is canned food left out for him all the time. I do scoop up his raw/canned in a pile and put some kibble on top to ensure he is getting his fluids and quality meat too. I buy the sample bags of Orijen so it stays fresh. Jasper is the only cat that is allowed to eat kibble, unless it is for treat purposes.

Puddles weight doesn't fluctuate like Jasper's so that is why I don't try to fatten her up. I think cats should only have minimal fat on them anyways. Except for Sweet Pea, all my cats have been quite skinny.

lUvMyLaB<3
August 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
but how skinny are they l4h? I need to get a better pic. . . Her shoulder blades are sticking out, u can feel her hips and ribs. . . She is happy though and the most affectinate cat ever. I will call her and get a standing pic, and you guys tell me if i should be worried, i have never had a cat this skinny, especially one this well fed.

Love4himies
August 29th, 2009, 08:14 AM
but how skinny are they l4h? I need to get a better pic. . . Her shoulder blades are sticking out, u can feel her hips and ribs. . . She is happy though and the most affectinate cat ever. I will call her and get a standing pic, and you guys tell me if i should be worried, i have never had a cat this skinny, especially one this well fed.

Puddles is a himalayan so she has a lot of fur, lol. Yes, you can feel her ribs and I am sure if you shaved her, you would see her hip bones. She doen't have good muscle mass (better now than a few years ago) so that could be part of it. She has about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of fat around her.

Rose was extremely skinny when she was rescued by cpietra, had wonderful muscle mass coverage, but no fat. I think I would be able to see Puddles' hip bones more so than Rose's, even though Puddles has adequate fat coverage. So perhaps a quality canned diet, supplemented with a raw will put on some muscle mass on her :shrug:. It would be much healthier.

Rosebuddy went from a raw diet here, to kibble at the shelter and she has lost a lot of muscle mass and can now feel her bones and looks skinny, but does have some fat coverage.

lUvMyLaB<3
August 29th, 2009, 08:29 AM
had to snap one of her and lady, and the cat on the ledge is the foster that steals all the food, she is a nut and the kids and my dh call her mr. Catopeous sir. I like pets.ca on my phone, makes it easy, take a pic on my phone and upload from here. Easy!

Love4himies
August 29th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I think she has the body shape very, very much like Puddles. How much fat do you estimate she has covering her?

lUvMyLaB<3
August 29th, 2009, 08:40 AM
i feed her innova evo cat and kitten canned and they get something paw each day, usually what i am cooking i give them, last night was chicken legs. Maybe i will buy some evo dry food to sprinkle on top.

chico2
August 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM
With Chico(male black)it takes a lot of encouragement to get him to eat,last vet-visit he had lost 1 lb in a year.
He will eagerly go to his dish,take a few licks and stop,but if I pet him and tell him"good boy"and stay close to him,he will eat.
It seems he needs to be in a very safe place,away from the others to eat and Chico like Jasper,likes his dry food ever now and then.
I also have a supply of Fancy Feast on stand-by(mostly for a stray I am feeding),the others eat their Wellness,but Chico likes "junk-food":confused:

Love4himies
August 29th, 2009, 08:58 AM
With Chico(male black)it takes a lot of encouragement to get him to eat,last vet-visit he had lost 1 lb in a year.
He will eagerly go to his dish,take a few licks and stop,but if I pet him and tell him"good boy"and stay close to him,he will eat.
It seems he needs to be in a very safe place,away from the others to eat and Chico like Jasper,likes his dry food ever now and then.
I also have a supply of Fancy Feast on stand-by(mostly for a stray I am feeding),the others eat their Wellness,but Chico likes "junk-food":confused:

Jasper is the same way, there must be no cats around, or he has to see one of the girls eat first then he will eat. He prefers me to be beside him when he eats too.

lUvMyLaB<3
August 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM
yes, my daughter sit with her often while she is eating, and now that you mention it, I think she may eat more while Madi is there with her, I think that is something that we will try more often. I want to leave the food out as she likes to graze, but someone is eating if before she gets enough, and that is a tricky one.. that foster in the pic up there, that I have had a long time now.. was never fed well, and came to me soooo skinnny, she thinks canned food is the greatest thing, and will eat it to no end.

I also think I will get some evo kibble, I like the evo ingredients for cats... Is there a better one to try? And sprinkle a bit on her food, don't know if she will eat it, but I will be happy to try, and I know the evo comes in little bags at our store. What raw food will fatten her up?

L4h I don't know.. very very little, she used to be a thin cat and I could live with it, but she has lost some weight, that is what I don't like.. there is maybe 1/2" but on her hip bones and shoulders there is none. You can feel some spine if you feel for it, but her spine is mostly covered in fat. Her coat is nice and shiny and soft, and she sheds little, she is not dehydrated or anything, has great poops, and is in a great mood.. But still she should not have lost weight.

chico2
August 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM
You know,feeding-time around here is a riot,one(Rocky) likes to sit in the hall-way window to eat and I keep an eye on him since I mix his pill in with his food,after he eats the little bit with his pill,he gets more food.
Little(18lb's)Vinnie I have no problems with,he slurps his food up.
Chico has to be coaxed,with a lot of lovin:cat:he is an extremly loving cat,but not to sure with Rocky and Vinnie.
I don't have a dog who'd finish the food,but Vinnie always kind of keeps an eye on the other dishes.

I think a cat feel vulnerable with his head in a food-dish,especially if he/she is a nervous cat and if a human is beside him,feels more secure,at least that's the way it is with Chico.
As soon as he's eaten a bit,I take the dish away and later give it back to him.

L4H,I am surprised Jasper is like that,he seems to be the most adjusted,loving cat of all of yours.

Love4himies
August 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM
"Little" Vinnie :laughing: :laughing: That is funny, chico.

Not sure what Jasper's history was, he was 5-6 years old when he was adopted, was unneutered when he was found, so he may be been a stud kitty that has learned that females and/or other males eat first or else :shrug:. He is a super loving kitty that doesn't want to fight or cause problems with any kitty.

Luvmylabs: sounds like she needs some muscle mass, rather than fat. I think if she has 1/4 to 1/2 inch she is fine and no worries.