Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a tad scared to take our walks (sorry, long post)

Melinda
August 28th, 2009, 06:47 AM
yesterday morning I went out for my paper at 4:30 am (end of my driveway), across from me I saw what looked like a lab pup on the bike path, remember, its still dark out and we only have one street light, so I gave a small whistle and it sat up much like a rabbit would do and twisted its torso to see me before it took off. So I thought, ok, a VERY large hare. Now back up to two weeks ago when I heard a "snort" in the field beside me while walking Brina (lab mix) I froze and dummy dog (good thing she's cute) hid behind my legs and also froze, a buck raised his head not six feet from me, snorted again and took off, at this point Brina remembered "oh yeah, I'm a dog and suppose to bark". Back to yesterday, after seeing this "thing" on the bike path I come into the house, open the paper and on the front page a warning "Bear cub spotted at Guindo park, mom can't be far behind" :eek:we have notices posted everywhere about it, guess where I live...on the fringes of Guindo park, in fact thats where Brina and I walk to every morning at 6 am. I'm surrounded by bush and fields, now I'm a tad leary about doing our morning walk and have cut it down to 1 mile, 1/4 mile along the bush till I get to our one street, where I have to keep Brina on a short leash so she'll "walk nice" right beside me, so she's really only getting a 1/2 mile sixteen foot leash walk where she can sniff and wander. Do I have a reason to be worried?? there hasn't been a bear around here for at least 8 yrs and back then I didn't have a dog to walk. Any suggestions? or am I worrying for nothing?

Rottielover
August 28th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Just a thought though if a bear cub was spotted alone, most likely something happened to its mom. :( I would continue doing your walks, she will alert you if anything, they sense far faster than we can, at that point start walking slowly back home. Do not run home.

Love4himies
August 28th, 2009, 07:39 AM
If Brina leashed so she can't go after the cub, I wouldn't worry too much. I would be more concerned this cub doesn't have a momma:sad: . She would normally make herself seen if there was a dog anywhere around her cub and put herself beteen Brina and the cub.

Take a jingle bell with you on your walks so the bears have enough warning time to get off the path into hiding before you come into sight. They really would prefer to NOT meet a human. If you do see the bear yell, it will scare her off. Worked for us when there was about a 700lb male bear walking towards us on our path in Cape Breton Highland Nat'l Park.

It is Grizzlies that are the unpredictable ones.

Melinda
August 28th, 2009, 08:27 AM
the ministry is keeping an eye on it to see if the mother is spotted, that was my first thought also and I called them yesterday about it. Never thought of bells, I have brina's door jingles, 5 bells on a ribbon, guess I'll attach those to my walking stick tomorrow

clm
August 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM
During our walks at the cottage we used to come across quite a few young bears. Not small cubs, more like almost yearlings. They always took off when they saw us, but it was unsettling to say the least. Whatever you do when you see one is do not run away from it, always face the bear and walk backwards away from it slowly and talk to it loudly. Never turn your back on it and run.
This time of year they're really working on putting on weight before winter so try to avoid areas that have lots of fruit like crabapples or rasberries and blackberries.

clm

breeze
August 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM
they do sell bear bells ( similar to a small cow bell) that you can attach anywhere, on a leash belt or on a leash.
I think it would be a good idea to carry one with you on your walks.

here one
http://www.macecanada.com/canada/product/bearbells.htm

here is another one

http://www.silverfoot.com/store.php?crn=252

Melinda
August 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM
ohhhhhh thanks Breeze!!!

Golden Girls
August 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Oh I'd be afraid of Momma Bear be careful. It's odd that only one cub was spotted, :fingerscr the mom is ok. :goodvibes: Ministry get's to the bottom of this quickly Good idea to guy a cow bell, especially since your out early in an isolated bushy area

Brina hiding behind you :laughing:

Dog Dancer
August 28th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Yup, you have to take a bell and make that thing ring. If it's a young cub by itself it may not be wise enough to run from you, but if Brina is anything like my goofy lab, she'll bark at it (when she decides it's safe to come out from behind your legs - also like my Halo). The barking should scare the cub off also. If it's got a momma around Mom should have taught it to run if it see's a human. But make noise, raise your arms in the air to look bigger, and don't run - cardinal bear rules. Like CLM said, they're out looking for food for the winter so try to avoid areas with fruit and such.

Tundra_Queen
August 28th, 2009, 10:16 PM
We have quite a few black bears that come into town. We actually saw one on the road going out of town last week!

The thing u don't want to do is sneak up on it, like others have said take the bells with ya. Also, apparently bears smell quite ummm strong. I have never been close to one so I personally don't know, but hubs and son say they definately have a strong odor to them.

I have been nervous taking Tegan for a walk in the park across the road lately. As bears walk along the river path along the park at times and it is fall here so they are starting to bulk up for winter.

Just be careful, also talk to your dog or whistel too.

Debbie

Gail P
August 29th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Bears can have a strong odor, but depending on which way the wind is blowing it might not be noticeable.

We have lots of bears around here. I've seen several this year myself and my mom has had one in her back yard area and one on the road that almost came up her driveway. Back in the springtime when I had a couple of the dogs out on a training run a cub ran across the trail just ahead of us. Don't know where mom was but I'm guessing she crossed first and the cub was hurrying to catch up when it heard us coming. I carry my snow hook with me on the cart in case I need to stop the dogs and hook down and it rattles quite a bit on the frame of the cart. When I saw the cub I stopped the dogs and waited for a minute, wondering about the mom and if there were any other cubs and then I just yelled loud when I told the dogs to go and we carried on. The thing is, we probably had already run past the bears on the way out about 5 minutes earlier :eek:. It was only a 2 mile run (a mile out from my house and back again) and it was up close to the end of the trail not too far from where we turn around.

Most time black bears won't bother you, especially if you have a dog/dogs with you. Up around here there have been several incidences of them breaking into people's cottages since one of the dumps has been fenced off and is now bear proof.

pattymac
August 31st, 2009, 02:11 AM
I know we have bears around here and if I'm out with Bayley and she starts running back and forth on the trail with her nose in the air, it's time to head back to the car!! I figure she can smell something not normal to her long before I catch a whiff of it, so I don't take chances!

mollywog
August 31st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Melinda, we have a lot of bears up here, I've never seen one while out hiking with Molly (maybe she has- who knows!) but my old dog, Jake :rip: did chase one up a tree once.
In general, black bears are wayyy more afraid of humans than we are of them, not to mention a loud, fast dog!!!
For peace of mind I did get 2 of these bearbells from MEC
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2696025&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442564123
they are super cheap, and they also help to "let me know" where Molly is at all times!

Melinda
August 31st, 2009, 10:08 AM
I have a set of "pooch bells" you know the ones you hang on the door to train the dogs to ring? well I take them off the door each morning and put them on my leash handle (I'm short) and two of the large bells bounce off the ground with each step and the other 4 jingle steady while we walk *LOL* people must think I'm nuts, thanks for all the information, I also bang my walking stick on the ground and talk to brina...sometimes I sing but hubs says that will scare all the wildlife *L*

kandy
September 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Scary! But lots of good advice - the bears will smell you (and now hear you) long before you ever get close enough to see them, giving them plenty of time to move along. I hope nothing happened to the cub's mama.

We don't get bears right where I live, although there is a good population of bears in the northern part of the state.