Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can a pup be fattened up quicker?

Tundra_Queen
August 26th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hi

My son's friend found this pup starving 3 weeks ago and because he already had a dog, he asked my son if he could take him. The poor pup was all skin and bone, it was terrible and his back legs were very wobbly where he couldn't walk very far without his legs starting to shake.

No one has claimed him and that was 3 weeks ago. My son has been looking for a dog for a while now so he didn't mind that "Charlie" came into his life.

The poor dog digs holes and looks for grubs and worms to eat. He also drinks water like crazy. Son figured that is how he kept his tummy full, by drinking water. I don't know how people can do this to animals, it makes me sick!

He is the sweetest darling thing, he is so friendly and just a happy boy. He was very scared of stairs and the boys thought maybe someone threw him down the stairs, especially the way his back legs are.

Son takes him to work with him so Charlie always has him to keep him company so that is great! He is learning how to be house trained very quickly too and I guess that is because son has to go outside every hour at work, so Charlie goes with him too. *S*

We took him to the vets today to get him checked out and his needles started. The vets were away on holidays so we had to wait for them to return. He weighs 27lbs but is still skin and bone and his back legs are still weak, though not as bad as they were a couple of weeks ago. We told the vet about the hind quarters and he said because he had been starving he loss his muscle mass and it will take a few more months to build it up again. Poor sweetie.

I was just wondering if u guys/gals have any suggestions what he can eat to help build his body up. Son says if he gives him a bunch of food he will only eat a bit and leave the rest for dinner. He did get dewormed today so hopefully that will help him put on some weight too. He is also on puppy chow.

There were 3 pups found on my son's street only a day or 2 old and no momma to be found. One of the puppies has since died, but the resuce has a female shepherd that has adopted them and keeping them warm and cuddling them when they cry and cleaning them too. These pups were found under a cement block! What the heck is wrong with people in this town?!

It just breaks my heart how some people in town treat animals. :sad:

Debbie

Bailey_
August 26th, 2009, 11:58 PM
This poor little puppy!!! I can't believe the conditions people will leave them in. :mad: So glad he was found.

The deworming should definitely help him gain weight first and foremost. Does his stomach seem bloated, normal or concave?

You don't want to feed him too much - it will most likely just go straight through him and he wouldn't be able to absorb much, so quality is definitely your best bet in this situation until he's able to eat more as he grows and his stomach gets used to it.

I've always been a huge fan of Orijen. I'm sure other members will have better food options for you too.

growler~GateKeeper
August 27th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Do you have an idea of what breed the pup is or what size it will be full grown? Did the vet give an estimate of how much the pup should weigh at this point?

What food is your son feeding? Is it Purina Puppy Chow or did you just mean a formula for puppies?

If he can get Orijen, Arcana, Wellness, Nature's Variety those have far better nutrients and ingredients.

To give a boost to the muscles, body, energy levels satin balls can be given as a supplement, this is not a complete meal.

Here's my recipe for satin balls :

2 lbs raw ground beef
4-5 raw eggs
1 cup overcooked rice
500 lm cottage cheese
1 canned of pumpkin puree (not the pie filling of course)
a bit of bread crums to make it stick into balls , a bit smaller than tennis balls.

I would froze them and take one out in the morning to give for the evening meal. It's a supplement BTW , not a meal.

Marcha
August 27th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Love the satin balls recipe, Growler! Thanks!

How old is the pup? At 27lbs he'd be at least 3 months old? Is he teething or has he got all his adult teeth, or somewhere in between?

From what I know, avoid allowing pup to do too many stairs right now, to avoid the front legs to develop too much ahead of his weakened hind quarters. That would create the potential for the pup to overcompensate his hind legs with the extra strength in his front legs/shoulders, creating a higher risk of joint, hip and back issues later in life. Wait until he's gained a bit of strength again with his hind legs and hips before he gets to do stairs on a regular basis. Walk the pup on level areas, avoid climbs/ elevations, so that his hind quarters have a chance to catch up. Don't walk too long - more shorter walks rather than fewer longer walks, until there's more balance.

Other than that - what Growler said and asked.

growler~GateKeeper
August 27th, 2009, 01:26 AM

Your welcome, but it's not my recipe it's Frenchy's :D

Tundra_Queen
August 27th, 2009, 03:37 AM
This poor little puppy!!! I can't believe the conditions people will leave them in. :mad: So glad he was found.

The deworming should definitely help him gain weight first and foremost. Does his stomach seem bloated, normal or concave?

You don't want to feed him too much - it will most likely just go straight through him and he wouldn't be able to absorb much, so quality is definitely your best bet in this situation until he's able to eat more as he grows and his stomach gets used to it.

I've always been a huge fan of Orijen. I'm sure other members will have better food options for you too.

Thanks Bailey. His stomach? umm if your talking about when I look down at him, it goes in a lot just before his hips. I mean I could easily grab both sides with one hand. We don't have good dog food here. We were just out of town last Thursday getting cat food for my cats too. *sigh*

Do you have an idea of what breed the pup is or what size it will be full grown? Did the vet give an estimate of how much the pup should weigh at this point?

What food is your son feeding? Is it Purina Puppy Chow or did you just mean a formula for puppies?

If he can get Orijen, Arcana, Wellness, Nature's Variety those have far better nutrients and ingredients.

To give a boost to the muscles, body, energy levels satin balls can be given as a supplement, this is not a complete meal.

Growler he is switching over to Purina Puppy Chow now. He was feeding him seomthing else that was more expensive than Purina cause that is what his friend was feeding him.

Charlie looks like a lab X and no the vet didn't say how much he should weigh now. Just that he is under weight, but he said some dogs don't put on much weight.

We just went out of town last Thursday so that I could get Wellness for the cats. So next time he goes out of town that would be the only time he could pick up good dog food.

How old is the pup? At 27lbs he'd be at least 3 months old? Is he teething or has he got all his adult teeth, or somewhere in between?

From what I know, avoid allowing pup to do too many stairs right now, to avoid the front legs to develop too much ahead of his weakened hind quarters. That would create the potential for the pup to overcompensate his hind legs with the extra strength in his front legs/shoulders, creating a higher risk of joint, hip and back issues later in life. Wait until he's gained a bit of strength again with his hind legs and hips before he gets to do stairs on a regular basis. Walk the pup on level areas, avoid climbs/ elevations, so that his hind quarters have a chance to catch up. Don't walk too long - more shorter walks rather than fewer longer walks, until there's more balance.

Other than that - what Growler said and asked.

The vet said he is about 5 months, as he does have most of his adult teeth but still has baby teeth too.

Marcha, where son works they walk up and down 5 flights of stairs every hour. So I will have to mention what u said about the stairs. thanks

Debbie

Tundra_Queen
August 27th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Growler, thanks for posting that Satin Ball recipe.

At first I couldn't figure out why u were giving the dog satin balls...I was thinking of Christmas decorations of course. :laughing::laughing:

Debbie

Bailey_
August 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks Bailey. His stomach? umm if your talking about when I look down at him, it goes in a lot just before his hips. I mean I could easily grab both sides with one hand. We don't have good dog food here. We were just out of town last Thursday getting cat food for my cats too. *sigh*

Oh okay, so it does sound fairly concave. I was wondering because sometimes a seriously starved, wormy puppy will have a puffy stomach - kind of looks pregnant. Either way it's not good...can't wait to hear about his continued progress and hopefully see pictures!! :D

hazelrunpack
August 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Would your son consider feeding him a raw diet? Might be easier to digest and you know the quality of the food he'd be eating :shrug: There's a lot of info in the BARF forum here if he's interested.

Thank him for taking in this little waif! And I'll second that request for pics! :D

Tundra_Queen
August 27th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Oh okay, so it does sound fairly concave. I was wondering because sometimes a seriously starved, wormy puppy will have a puffy stomach - kind of looks pregnant. Either way it's not good...can't wait to hear about his continued progress and hopefully see pictures!! :D

No he doesn't look pregnant, just very skinny. :sad:

Would your son consider feeding him a raw diet? Might be easier to digest and you know the quality of the food he'd be eating :shrug: There's a lot of info in the BARF forum here if he's interested.

Thank him for taking in this little waif! And I'll second that request for pics! :D

Hazel I have sent him the url to this thread and he has been lurking on pets.ca for a while reading information. :D He does know that I give the cats a bit of raw food too, but I will mention it to him about the BARF forum. Thanks.

I haven't gotten pics yet. He doesn't hold still very long. LOL But now that he is getting his needles started hopefully him and Tegan will meet and I will be able to take pics, but that won't be for at least a month. I'll ask son to take some pics. *S*

Debbie