Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What product do you use to bath your dog?

CityLimits
August 18th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Well, I just got back from walking my three dogs and they all needed a bath...again :rolleyes: I walk them off leash on a 50acre farm and being dogs they love to roll in the stinky stuff and play and splash in a smelly pond. I love watching them play and have fun and don't really mind cleaning them up when we get back. After all, they need to be clean so they can sleep on the bed with me :)

I usually just try to hose them off becaue I don't like shampooing them too often. However, these last couple of days I had no choice, they all stunk to high heaven. I am currently using Sadie's choice shampoo & conditioner and it doesn't seem to be too harsh on their coats. What does everyone else use? Are there any other products out there that are safe and mild enough to use frequently?

Sometimes I can't wait for winter..........oooooo.....that was a bad word :D

Lucky Rescue
August 18th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Sometimes I can't wait for winter

Bite your tongue! :eek:

I use a shampoo called Sebolux. I had it left over from my last dog, who had very dry and flaky skin. It leaves my present dog's coat glistening, smooth and fragrant.:)

dmc123
August 18th, 2004, 07:06 PM
I use Johnson's No More Tears Baby Shampoo....they smell so good afterward.

Again, in case that is bad....vet said it was the best to use if they aren't troubled by fleas, use Advantage for that :)

Luba
August 18th, 2004, 07:24 PM
WINTER

get outta here!!! As LR says bite your tongue HARD lmaoooo no winter nooo!

I use an organic shampoo that I use on myself :D

trescanis
August 18th, 2004, 07:37 PM
I use Mane 'N Tail. Originally for horses, but it is a well known "secret" that it is excellent on canines.

I use the shampoo and conditioner for myself as well! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/tiere/animal-smiley-019.gif

Goldenmom
August 18th, 2004, 07:47 PM
I use a naturally organic oatmeal shampoo, or baby shampoo

Heather and her 3 Goldens

Lady_Eleven
August 18th, 2004, 10:11 PM
I use Bio-Groom Natural Oatmeal (Anti-Itch) Shampoo. Even though Maggie doesn't have dry itchy skin now like when she was a tiny puppy, I still use this and it keeps her soft and smelling nice after baths (I think she's due for one again soon lol)

glasslass
August 18th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I use Flea-Flea Bar Soap on both Den-Den and Puss-Puss. All natural ingredients, good for both dogs and cats. Made in Canada. Only place I can find it is on-line. Poodles are bathed fairly often. He's never had any problems with it and no fleas either.

alpha sheltie
August 19th, 2004, 06:04 AM
I just bought a bottle of Mane n Tail for myself and the dogs. I've used the conditioner on myself before. It's excellent! I tried it out on Kai a couple times.. his coat was so soft and gorgeous!

GunnerX
August 19th, 2004, 07:56 AM
I'm currently using Puppy No Tears shampoo from PetSmart. Has anyone heard of John Paul brand Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner? It says tested on humans. Sam's Club had a bucket with shampoo and conditioner, pin brush, plush frisbee and chew toy for $5 which was quite a bargain.

CityLimits
August 19th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Thanks everyone. I now have a great list to pick from.

I apologize for the winter comment, it came in the heat of the moment when I was still soaking wet from bathing my three pups :D

Lady_Eleven
August 19th, 2004, 09:25 AM
I'm currently using Puppy No Tears shampoo from PetSmart. Has anyone heard of John Paul brand Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner? It says tested on humans. Sam's Club had a bucket with shampoo and conditioner, pin brush, plush frisbee and chew toy for $5 which was quite a bargain.

GunnerX, I've heard you mention Sams Club a few times now, and you make me want to check out this place lol. It sounds like it has good prices. I've been to Costco before (even when it was called Price Club), but I don't find great deals like that. Don't you need a membership to get in? or just to buy things?

Princesss04
August 19th, 2004, 11:53 AM
You need a membership to get into Sams Club. But they do have good deals and you can buy things in bulk. I use Tear Free Baby Shampoo on Meat Loaf. Cry Baby hates baths so when he does need one which is like almost never I get a small bottle of shampoo from the vet. Meat Loaf is just getting to where he likes the bath! :D

mastifflover
August 19th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I use either of two things in the winter believe it or not Murphys oil soap and in the summer an all natural shampoo with essential oil of eucalyptus in it fleas hate it. And for those who are freaking out about the Murphys oil soap it is safe to use I have checked with my vet it was also recommended by a vet for dogs that have very oily coats.

GunnerX
August 19th, 2004, 12:34 PM
GunnerX, I've heard you mention Sams Club a few times now, and you make me want to check out this place lol. It sounds like it has good prices. I've been to Costco before (even when it was called Price Club), but I don't find great deals like that. Don't you need a membership to get in? or just to buy things?

SAM's Club is Wal Mart's version of COSTCO/Price Club. I have membership to both and find that SAM's has more products for pets. COSTCO has a very limited selection. They sell similar things but SAM's also carries a lot of US products. So far I have bought dog jackets for 97 cents each, bucket of dog stuff for $5 each and a Pet Car Blanket that covers the back seat for $9. They sell a lot of stuff for bigger dogs like dental chews and such and they have a package with a kong for quite good prices. However, I still do most of my shopping at COSTCO since they have weekly coupons. Like Wal Mart, SAM's club doesn't have coupons/sales.

Spoiled
August 19th, 2004, 07:40 PM
I use Hagen Puppy shampoo. It seems to be good for my dog.

Bill & Bob
August 19th, 2004, 07:54 PM
The eucalyptus stuff I've heard about before, however the person who was telling me about it said that it burned her dogs eyes. She took the dog to a groomer who gave her a bath, but an hour later she was running the poor thing to the vet because it was crying and wailing so much. Had to keep a cone on the pups head for 3 days so she wouldn't scratch with her paws.

My pooch had a bath the day I got him because the SPCA kennels were pretty gross. Since then, nothing. He still smells pretty good. On the weekend he went swimming for the first time in the pools of this glacier fed creek and when we got home he smelled great! So, I'm recommending glacier water! Just kidding.