Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My good girl Nelly !

Frenchy
August 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
She just amazes me :cloud9: how do you english people say ? I'm biais ? (sp) :D

So I bought the Pedipaw and read that you have to start by just give them treats as you turn it on near them , so they can get use to the sound. Of course , with Bailey , I could start to use it right away , he's such an angel :angel: and last night , I tried with Nelly , she ran away to her bed , so I approach her , with the Pedipaw on , gave her treats and that was it.

Tonight , I tried again , she did pee on the carpet , but when I tried one nail , she saw it wasn't too scary .... you're suppose to start off slowly but she was such a good girl , I was able to do all the nails !!!!! Just a quickie on each ones but still ! WOw , I know you must find me annoying every time I post something like this about Nelly but .... she has come such a long way ! Buying this tool I thought , maybe it would never work with her .... but once again , she stepped up to the plate !

for those who don't know , Nelly was part of a puppy mill seizure , she was 'breeding stock' , but has come such a long way , she amazes me every day ! :o

BenMax
August 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Frenchy you have every reason to brag about your girl. I remember her when she just arrived and she was a horrible mess.

She is the way she is because of YOU! You had patience, devotion, love and committment. Nelly is your girl and you did wonders with her.

So brag away my friend. Nelly is a success story made a reality because you NEVER gave up!

Frenchy
August 26th, 2009, 07:54 PM
awww thanks BM , there were times at first when I would tell LP that I just couldn't do it no more , that I should ask for another foster family for her , someone home all day ..... but we didn't know about her 'condition' and that explained a lot ! Once that was 'out of the way' , finally after 2 months , she got better :)

she has such a good temperement , even after 2 years at that horrible place. Just goes to show you , what FOOD and LOVE can do to a dog ! :cloud9:

BenMax
August 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Truly, you should write a small handbook on abused, neglected and 'used' dogs from puppymills. You could write about all your obstacles, the do's and the don'ts. I am certain that it would be a very useful concept for those that want a dog such as yours.

Heck, write me up for a copy will ya?

Frenchy
August 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM
:laughing: rule number #1 : you can't be materialistic ! because there's been a lot of those .... still are : (I deleted the ones of my chewed up walls and window sills :p)

Frenchy
August 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM
But then you have those .... and you don't care about the destruction :laughing:

MommaKat
I remember reading a while ago that you had to take her to the vet to get her nails done because she wouldn't let you do it (or am I thinking of someone else? ) so being able to do her nails with the pedipaw is a HUGE step!

Grats to you and Nelly :thumbs up I love hearing progress like that :D :highfive: .

coppperbelle
Nelly is a wonderdog. She truly has come a long way thanks to you. Give her an extra treat tonight.

Frenchy
August 26th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I remember reading a while ago that you had to take her to the vet to get her nails done

Yep , that was me. I could do them but only if she felt like it. Then 3 weeks ago , I cut one of her quick :wall: it bled on and off all day :sad: so I said ... never again !

Frenchy
August 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Nelly is a wonderdog. She truly has come a long way thanks to you. Give her an extra treat tonight.

thanks again for the winter gear Coppperbelle !

Rottielover
August 26th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Such a good girl that Nelly, and a great mommy to help her become the dog she wants to be

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Wow, how great is that, Frenchy! :highfive: What a good girl that Nelly is! Did you ever think she'd put up with anything like a Pedipaw trimmer? :eek: She really had come a very long way. :grouphug:

luckypenny
August 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Auntie LP is really proud of you Nelly :angel: :lovestruck:.

14+kitties
August 26th, 2009, 10:36 PM
And so you should brag about Nelly. In fact I don't think you brag nearly enough about that girl. She has been through so much and has come out a fighter. :thumbs up You have done a wonderful job with her!! :cloud9::grouphug:

Jim Hall
August 26th, 2009, 10:40 PM
good girl nelly!!! wonderfull when you have to earn trust isnt it?

Tundra_Queen
August 27th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Frency I think it's great that u are proud of her! That is what mom's are suppose to be like. :D Is nelly the great dane? Sorry I'm still trying to get everyone's fur kids straight.

mollywog
August 27th, 2009, 10:02 AM
aww Nelly.:cloud9: good work with her Frenchy. She sounds like a doll. So is she a foster failure?? I am guessing yes!!!?? :highfive:

Love4himies
August 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Wow, what a good girl, Nelly :cloud9:. And what a great mom you are to her, Frenchy. I know the patience it takes to work with animals that don't have any trust in humans. :grouphug:

ancientgirl
August 27th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I'm so happy you were able to do this with her! No need to apologize for bragging, lord knows I do enough of my own. You should be very proud of her.

This reminds me of a thread I wanted to start yesterday and had no time. I'll do it now!:sorry::offtopic:

chico2
August 27th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Frenchy,we all LOVE Nelly and you for working wonders with her,the end result,she's a beautiful pup any owner would be very proud of:lovestruck:

Ford Girl
August 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Awww, what a good girl Nelly!!!!! You amaze your mom, and your mom amazes us!!! :)

Frenchy
August 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Did you ever think she'd put up with anything like a Pedipaw trimmer? :eek:

Exactly ! Who would have thought :eek: I did it again tonight , longer .... same good results :thumbs up

Is nelly the great dane?

Yes she is :lovestruck:

So is she a foster failure?? I am guessing yes!!!?? :highfive:

Of course ! It took 2 years for her to 'become' legally mine. But I knew after a few weeks , whatever would happen , she wasn't going anywhere. :p

hazelrunpack
August 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM
That's wonderful that she's actually letting you do her nails! :highfive: So you do you still have to worry about getting too close to the quick? How will you know when you're getting too close?

I've always wanted to try a Pedipaws, or a dremel tool, but the way the Pack reacts to funny noises I thought it would be a waste of time. Nelly maybe is changing my mind :D

Frenchy
August 27th, 2009, 10:01 PM
It's not too noisy , but it does take time. So I don't think this would work with a hyper dog , unless you do it right after a 2 hour jogging session :D

It says to stop if the dog look hurt :confused: or if it bleeds (well I sure hope people stop at this point!!)

I was wondering though .... if it pushes back the quick like it would when using a nail cutter ... :confused:

hazelrunpack
August 27th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I suspect it will. If the nail is shorter, the quick gets pushed back by friction with dirt, grass, and all that good stuff. So no matter how you make the nail shorter, the quick should recede :thumbs up

At least that's hazel's theory and she's stickin' to it! :o