Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat peeing everywhere

lindapalm
August 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Does anyone have suggestions on what to do with a ten year old cat that is neutered but is spraying and peeing on everything. He has ruined two chairs, rugs, pillows, etc. We are going to have a urine sample tested in case he has a medical problem, but I think he has cat overload, cause we have eight cats and two dogs. Hes been doing this for quite awhile now, and my husband is thoroughly disgusted. He wants to put him to sleep, I want to see if the Humane Society can find him a home where he'd be the only cat. I raised him since he was 12 hours old, and hate to get rid of him, but I can't keep shampooing everyting, and it really doesn't help anyhow. They have six litter boxes that are kept very clean, and none of the other cats do this.

14+kitties
August 26th, 2009, 03:21 PM
There are so many reasons for a cat to spray. Please don't think it's stress that is doing it. It may well be but maybe explore other possibilities as well.
Let's start with some easy ones.......
What are you cleaning with? A very effective cleaner is 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 cup water; mixed in spray bottle and sprayed very liberally on the spots he has sprayed. It may be as simple as he can smell where he has sprayed before. A black light can determine whether or not you have effectively cleaned the areas.
Have there been any changes in your household lately? A new member, either two legger or four, someone he was close to leaving, a new cat around outside that he can see, even something as simple as furniture being moved or changed.
What do you feed? Canned or dry? Dry food can cause some major issues, especially with male cats. Check out this site....
www.catinfo.org
Have you changed your litter lately? Are the litter boxes covered, uncovered, big enough for him, in a place that he finds objectionable, in a high traffic area, near a washing machine or something that may have scared him. Does he get sabatoged by one of the other cats when he is trying to use the litter box?
Have you tried using Feliway or any other calming means? Has anything happened that may have given him a huge fright? That may lead to inappropriate spraying as well.
I would strongly urge you to have his urine tested before making any decisions. Cats don't usually do this unless they are under stress of some kind. You have had him for ten years. It would be a shame to have him put down or taken to a HS when it may be something fairly easily fixed. :shrug:

Stacer
August 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm currently going through a similar ordeal, here's my thread dealing with the subject, hopefully you can find some useful info there.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64888&highlight=metacam

growler~GateKeeper
August 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Along with the urine testing, have a blood sample drawn and have them run a geriatric panel, to rule out kidney, liver issues etc, make sure they test the T4 aka Thyroxine to rule out HyperThyroidism

lindapalm
August 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I have tried the Felaway, and he sprayed on the rocker a foot away from where it was plugged in. He is presently in a large 4x6 cage in our garage with a empty new litter box. I'm hoping to get a urine sample so they don't have to take it from him at the vets, and I will ask for the blood tests if the vet doesn't suggest them. He's been doing this on and off for at least six months, so its hard to tell what triggered it. I believe we have too many cats for him to handle, and he's always been a very hyper, neurotic cat, but a very good one, too. I clean with half vinegar, half water, then baking soda, then 1/4 c peroxide mixed with dish soap. I've used the black light, but I'm sure I've missed alot cause he's done it in so many places. My son stayed over last night and slept on my new couch, and the cat sprayed on the end of it. My husband refused to let him back in the house.

14+kitties
August 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Ok, how long did you leave the Feliway plugged in? It takes up to a month to become effective.
There are meds that can be given to your kitty if it seems like he is suffering from stress. I still think it is extremely important to have his urine and, as growler stated, his blood work done. I am just concerned what would happen to a 10 year old cat in a HS. :sad:

Winston
August 29th, 2009, 05:54 AM
welcome to the site!

may i just say without you being offended that after 10 yrs dont you owe it to him to have him health checked??? 10yr old at HS = euthanazia for sure! after all there are way too many cute kitties to choose from! and you would be giving the peeing problem to someone else? HS would not likely deem him adoptable??

also how do you know for sure that itwas the one kitty? did you actually see it happen? cause with 6 cats it could have been another?

please rule out with your vet any issues for your kitty? keep us posted on how you make out..

cindy

catlover2
August 29th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Have you tried isolating him away from the other cats and the dogs in another room? Does he have some particular cat friends he likes? Maybe you could rotate one or two to keep him company. Some cats do get stressed out, either with too many cats or one or two that he doesn't get along with. Maybe worth a try. But he should be checked out by a vet to rule out any medical issues.

Oh, I see you already have isolated "Rockey" in a cage in the garage on this other thread: "HELP! I'm losing my mind over a cat that won't stop peeeing...."

lindapalm
August 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM
We were able to get a urine sample from Rocky to take to the vet. It came back as having too much protein and some blood in it. He has an appointment for Monday for a thorough check-up. I can only hope its medical and treatable. I had cancer surgery and have a broken leg, and am still blaming it on the stress in the house, and too many cats. He's been doing it much longer than recently, though. I hope I'm wrong. He's outback in a large cage, and not very happy, but neither am I. My husband is going around on his hands and knees sniffing, taking down curtains, washing couches, etc. We know its him cause we've caught him. I'm waiting for the other guys to copy him, so far, so good.

chico2
August 29th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I was going to say the same as Winston,we had a huge problem with my one cat spraying,but before I knew it the other two did the same,usually if one does it the others follow.
I used Feli-Way plug-ins in the 2 rooms they spent most of their time,for almost 2 yrs and the problem is now 99,9% solved.
I had ruined wood furniture,carpets etc,to the point where we had to lay a new floor and do not allow the cats in the living-room(that's ok,because only hubby goes in there to his TV),the cats also had thorough exams at the vet,finding the first spray-offender had Hyperthyroidism,which made him hyper and edgy.
He's on meds now and I do not use Feli-Way anymore,everything is under control.

Keeping this poor cat in the garage IMO is cruel,there must be a room where he can be kept,until you find out if there is something wrong with him:sad:
You've had him for 10yrs and like Winston says,he deserves better.

lindapalm
August 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Chico, keeping Rocky in a 4x6x6 ft cage may be cruel, but other than the bathroom, we have no other place to put him, and I have a broken leg so getting in and out of the bathroom without letting him out is impossible. We visit him out there, but until hes been checked out by the vet and put on meds, hes going to have to stay there. I am going to get the plug ins for living room, etc How many per room? Hopefully after Mondays vet visit things will be better.

lindapalm
August 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
When I said in previous post that I would like to give him to the Humane Soc. I know the one in our town very well, they are a no kill soc. and if Rocky was adopted(which he would be cause he's that type of cat) it would have to be to a home without any other cats. I think he would be fine then. The Humane Soc. also encourages them to bring them back if theres any problem. I get mad and come up with these brainy ideas, but I'd probably never do it, although I don't know what else to do if theres nothing medically wrong. Prozac will probably be the next choice.

14+kitties
August 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I hate to tell you no matter how good your humane society is, a 10 year old cat who pees inappropriately does not get adopted. They get euthanized. Flat out. People don't want that type of an issue with a cat.
The best of luck to you. I truly hope and pray that the vet finds a problem with your Rocky so you can work together to fix it. :pray:

growler~GateKeeper
August 30th, 2009, 01:20 AM
We were able to get a urine sample from Rocky to take to the vet. It came back as having too much protein and some blood in it. He has an appointment for Monday for a thorough check-up. I can only hope its medical and treatable.

Protein & blood in the urine can indicate kidney failure, kidney infections, bladder infection, kidney or bladder crystals or stones and possibly combined with hyperthyroidism, among other possible issues.

Any possible infection would need a cystocentisis urine sample to run a culture & sensitivity, hypert will need a blood sample.

:goodvibes: for the test results

chico2
August 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM
lindapalm,by a weird coincidence my 13 yr old Rocky,was the one who started the spraying,maybe it's something with the name:cat:

I know how incredibly frustrating it is,so I definitely sympathize,I just always get my back up when someone says leaving a cat at HS,a cat who certainly has a problem:sad:

I too hope the vet can find something,a reason for his peeing and if it is stress because of too many felines in your home,medication might be the answer.

My husband too,was swearing a blue streak whenever he noticed pee,but giving my Rocky away was never even thought of,he belongs here.
Feli-Ways are very expensive,I had only 2,I cannot say with certainty if it was the Feli-Way or Rockys Hyper-T meds that stopped his peeing.

Another thing,we never leave anything on the floor,or hanging on chairs,even the laundry-hamper is in a closet,just to discourage any spraying.
:fingerscrfor you and your Rocky!

catlover2
August 30th, 2009, 10:12 AM
lindapalm, I understand your situation completely. This spraying can drive one nuts. The size cage you have for "Rocky" is fine, and do hope vet on Mon. can get to the bottom of his condition and get him on some appropriate meds. Would Rocky do better in the cage with another cat he likes? Maybe you could rotate a few of his cat friends to give him some company? I agree with 14+k that a senior cat is not likely to be adopted. Hopefully the vet can get him straightened around medically, but he still may continue to spray out of stress. You might consider sending some of your other cats to the humane society that you feel upset Rocky? Having 8 cats & 2 dogs is a lot going on. Sometimes it's just one sh___ disturber that upsets the household that's overly dominant and causes stress among a group of cats. Anyway, maybe something to think about. I certainly wish you well in your recovery from your broken leg and cancer surgery, it's not easy, and you should think of your own health and peace of mind and hope you can achieve a less stressful household for you and hubby.:pray:
:thumbs up :fingerscr success with "Rocky". Do keep us updated.

lindapalm
August 30th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Catlover, I have eight cats, six were picked up from various dumpsters and parking lots. They all get along with each other, and when they play too hard we break it up and their fine. Rocky likes only one of them, and the rest of them he tries to ignore. I wouldn't know which one to get rid of that would help the situation. I'd like to put his best friend in the cage with him, but he cant be picked up without a lot of bloodshed on our part cause he was feral for the first year of his life, and will run if he sees you aproaching. I'm going to have the vet do every exam possible, and he's good so I'm sure he'll cover everything. Keeping my fingers crossed its a medical problem, but from reading some of other posts it doesn't sound like its easy to fix, especially if he's been doing it as long as he has.

Khari
August 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I am not sure where you live but I know of a product called "JUSTRITE". It is an amazing urine / spray removal system. But the only thing is it is only available in the US. I know many people that swear by it. They have tried ALL the enzyme cleaners on the market and home remedies to NO avail. I am having someone from the US ship it up to me. Here is a link to the website: http://www.justrite.com/home_remedies_urine_odor.html

My sister buys the feliway plugins in bulk (6 at a time). She buys tehm off the web and has them shipped to Canada. After the exchange rate and shipping she still saves over $70 from buying them at the vets office here in Canada. Since you live in a house I would definately plug in atleast 3 feliway diffusers throughout the house. Here are a few sites she buys them on:

http://www.entirelypets.com/6pakfedire48.html?__utma=1.474783996.1231610359.12 50561623.1251645783.9&__utmb=1&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1251645783.9.7.utmccn%3D(referral)%7Cutmc sr%3Dentirelypets.com%7Cutmcct%3D%2F%7Cutmcmd%3Dre ferral&__utmv=-&__utmk=62057133

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=feliway+rdiffusers+refill

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=feliway+diffuser+refill+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=feliway+diffsuer+refills&_rdc=1

My sister used the following combination of poducts for her spraying cat of 8 years......2 feliway plug ins in a one bedroom apartment, Bach Pet Rescue Remedy http://www.iherb.com/bach-original-flower-essences-rescue-remedy-pet-10-ml-0-35-fl-oz-dropper/10604?utm_source=ysp&utm_medium=c&at=0, and a "Spraying cat" Formula from Anaflora http://www.anaflora.com/essences/index.html

Here are a few other sites you can look into for appropriate formula's for your spraying cat and your other animals may need a formula as well....you can call any of the companies to help you out with an appropriate formula.

http://www.spiritessence.com/

http://www.abfeusa.com/index.html

chico2
August 30th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Tank's Khari,I bought my Feli-Way on E-Bay,I think I paid $70 US for 4 refills,there are some much better deals on the sites you posted.
I might need it again in the winter,since we cannot always take the cats out as much as in the summer.

lindapalm
August 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks, Khari. I live in the US, and am definately going to get the odor remover and the plug ins. No matter what cleaner you use it seems theres still some odor left, so it definately will help to have backup.

Khari
August 30th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Khari. I live in the US, and am definately going to get the odor remover and the plug ins. No matter what cleaner you use it seems theres still some odor left, so it definately will help to have backup.

Glad to hear you live in the US!!! You will have a much easier time at getting the JUSTRITE cleaner....You can ask the owner (I think his name is Bill) if you have any questions regarding the product. He is very helpful from what I hear. Also, the Feline Inappropriate Elimination group on Yahoo http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline_Inappropriate_Elimination/ has many members who have used this product. So, you could join the group and ask for some reviews and guidance on the product :) :) Some of the users have noses that can smell cat pee/spray much easier than most people. Compared to all the other products they swear the smell disappears completely when using JUSTRITE.

Good luck!

lindapalm
August 31st, 2009, 11:11 AM
my husband took Rocky to the vet today. He's positive its behavorial cause 99% of it was spraying, and the one time he peed vertically on something it was my pillow, which I guess is also marking. He said because of too much protein and a little blood in urine their could be some type of kidney problem, although the blood could also be from stress. He put him on Clavamox and Metcam, which doesn't sound like too many people on this site like the Metcam. Didn't even take a blood test, said some count in the urine proves he doesn't have a thyroid porblem. Said continue to isolate him to calm him down, give him meds, and after awhile bring him back in the house and keep an eye on him. If necessary, then he'll need amitrypteline or prozac.

sugarcatmom
August 31st, 2009, 11:28 AM
He said because of too much protein and a little blood in urine their could be some type of kidney problem, although the blood could also be from stress. He put him on Clavamox and Metcam, which doesn't sound like too many people on this site like the Metcam.

Prescribing Metacam to a 10 yr old cat that might have a problem with his kidneys already is complete negiligence. Please do not give Rocky the Metacam!!! Return it to the vet for a refund and ask if you can get some Buprenex instead, it's much safer.

The other thing is the antibiotics. Did the vet check Rocky's urine specific gravity? If so, can you get the value from them? USG can tell a lot about how the kidney's are functioning and also whether it's even possible to have an infection. Prescribing antibiotics without doing a culture and sensitivity first may be a waste of time and money. Are there any other vets in your area, particularly a feline-only one?

lindapalm
August 31st, 2009, 11:43 AM
I posted that Rocky is suppose to have Clavamox and Metcam, and then checked out Stacers replys about the metcam. No frigging way. I've got enough problems with him now, that would just be asking for trouble. I didn't go to the vet with him, and my husband screws up a lot that he was told, but I can't understand why he was put on a pain killer anyhow. I'm going to have to call them up.

sugarcatmom
August 31st, 2009, 11:58 AM
but I can't understand why he was put on a pain killer anyhow. I'm going to have to call them up.

Could be that they think he has cystitis, which can be quite painful. But it usually results in inappropriate elimination, not "spraying" (which is more of a territorial thing). So they contradict themselves by saying they think it's behavioural, and then prescribing antibiotics and pain killers. Me thinks they don't actually know what's going on and are just covering their @sses.

lindapalm
August 31st, 2009, 03:50 PM
sugarcatmon, I called the vet and told his girl about the Metcam website. She said they prescribe it to all their cats. She called me back after talking to the vet and he said it must be an old website cause they approved Metcam for cats 6 months ago. Rocky was put on it in case he has any inflamation, not for pain. I figure he's on the clavamax, and its supposedly behavorial, so why bother with the Metcam. His USG test was 1053, which according to the vet shows no problems. I couldn't see if the bottle says not for cats cause they gave me a bottle with their sticker on it.

sugarcatmom
August 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
She said they prescribe it to all their cats.

Lots of vets prescribe it to cats off-label. Your vet is lying if they said it's been officially approved for oral administration. The manufacturer clearly states it is for a one-time post surgical injection. Having said that, there are cases where oral Metacam use may be warranted, provided that a complete blood and urine work-up is performed first and there aren't better options. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1752

Patients being considered for long term meloxicam use should be evaluated with a complete physical examination and initial screening blood test to identify any factors, such as liver or kidney disease, that might preclude the use of this or any other NSAID.

His USG test was 1053, which according to the vet shows no problems.

He is certainly concentrating his urine fine, which brings me back to the antibiotics. It's very unlikely that he actually has a urinary tract infection with such concentrated urine. From this site: http://www.catinfo.org/#Common_Feline_Health_Problems_and_Their_Ties_to_D iet_

Only ~1% of cats with cystitis that are under 10 years of age have a urinary tract infection, yet many veterinarians place these patients on antibiotics when these drugs are not warranted. Most cats under 10 years of age produce a very concentrated urine (USG greater than 1.030) and bacteria do not grow well in concentrated urine.

In cats over 10 years of age, infections are more common but that still does not mean that older cats with cystitis should automatically be put on antibiotics. The reason that an older cat is more prone to urinary tract infections is because kidney disease is more common in this age group and so these cats will have a more dilute urine which is not as hostile to bacterial growth.

Diabetes and hyperthyroidism are also more common in cats over 10 years of age and both disease make the patient more prone to urinary tract infections.

A urine culture and sensitivity (C & S) should be run to check for an infection if the patient has a low urine specific gravity or is diabetic. It must be kept in mind that even with a low USG, most cases of cystitis are not due to an infection. This is why it is important to run a C & S before placing the patient on antibiotics. Antibiotics should only be used when the presence of an infection can be established.

A C & S test identifies the bacteria (if present) and tells the veterinarian which antibiotic is appropriate. The urine for a C & S needs to be obtained by way of cystocentesis which involves using a syringe and needle to obtain urine directly from the bladder. This is not a painful procedure for the cat and this method is the only way to obtain a sample for accurate information in order to properly treat with antibiotics.

Here are some worthwhile links to read on the topic of feline marking behaviour and inappropriate elimination:
http://www.hdw-inc.com/litterbox.htm
http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/housesoiling/lapsed_litterbox_users.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/marking.html

I hope you can find a solution soon!

lindapalm
August 31st, 2009, 08:53 PM
I'm going to give the vet the benefit of the doubt and give the Clavamax, only because I don't feel there will be any harm in it, but not the Metcam, cause I can't see how he thinks Rocky needs it for inflamation when he didn't really prove there was one. It was only for five days, but it still would scare me.

lindapalm
September 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM
Not a good day. My husband brings Rocky in the house so I can medicate him without having to go outback with crutches. Rocky gets away from him, runs upstairs under the bed. Now you've got five cats at the bottom of the stairs, knowing theres a stranger (I think they forgot him already) upstairs. One of the males proceeds to spray on chair and in closet. My husband was so mad he chased him for 30 minutes with a squirt bottle, which was really stupid, but there was no reasoning with him. As of right now if he can find someone with a barn two cats are going. Hopefully he'll calm down, don't know.

lindapalm
September 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Sugarcatmom, is it possible the Metcam was approved 6 months ago in the US, thats where I am, or do you still think the vet is full of it?

chico2
September 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
lindapalm,your husband reacting that way will only make things worse,more stress to both you and the cats.
Rocky coming from the vet smells different to your other cats,that's why tey reacted,but usually they calm down.

Maybe some of your cats problems stems from your husbands reaction to them:confused:

sugarcatmom
September 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM
Sugarcatmom, is it possible the Metcam was approved 6 months ago in the US, thats where I am, or do you still think the vet is full of it?

Nope, not approved in the U.S. for oral administration in cats. A weaker feline version was approved in the U.K. a couple years ago, but since that isn't available in North America, I doubt that's what your vet was referring to.

http://www.felinecrf.org/causes_of_crf.htm#metacam

lindapalm
September 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
My husband is good with the animals, but the older he gets the more short tempered he is. He's burned out taking care of everything the past 2-3 months, but I'm getting better, so hopefully he will. He's calmed down now, Rockys out back, and I'll make a point of going out to give him meds. He probably doesn't even need them, just the vets way of making it look good cause he can't do anything else. Were trying to find another house with a basement, which I could at least separate some of the problem cats then. I have no clue what my next step is, will just have to play it by ear and see what happens. The second sprayer, Bennie, is laying on the floor next to me like he's totally innocent and nothing happened. I was thinking, when it comes time to try to bring Rocky back in, would it make any sense to put him and Bennie in a small patio we have together for a few days so they can adjust to each other again, or maybe even put Bennie in Rockys cage before we bring him in again.

catlover2
September 14th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Any update with Rocky and your other cats? Hope your health is improving day by day. :pray:

lindapalm
October 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
My 83 year old mother in law took Rocky on a trial basis, she has one other cat, a female. So far, so good. The other sprayer we have (and didn't know about) seems to be better with out Rocky, or maybe its the Felaway plug ins we've put around the house. I miss Rocky, but think he's much calmer where he is cause he never was one to play with other cats, he just liked people.

growler~GateKeeper
October 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM
:goodvibes: that everything works out for Rocky :fingerscr

Love4himies
October 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Thank you for the update. I am glad Rocky has found a home that he can be comfortable in and you can still visit him. :thumbs up

chico2
October 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Linda,the Feli-Way plug-ins worked 90% in my house.
For a long time,we thought Rocky was the only sprayer,but then we caught Chico doing the same:sad:
However it has now stopped,except for the odd time,I'll find a few drops,not a big deal.
I have not used the F-W since the spring.
I hope your Rocky will be fine,now when the stress-factor is gone:fingerscr

lindapalm
October 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I have three in my living room, cause thats where the most spraying was. Should I separate them and put some in the other rooms, or leave them where they are? The living room is about 20x25. I'm still finding spots with the black light but am praying their old ones and not recent.

lorimar
October 7th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I know this might sound crazy but my vet insists that using valium (obviously prescribed by a vet) helps with all sorts of urinating issues with cats. We used it for one of my cats for a similar issue and it did work. Maybe you can check with a vet.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do with a ten year old cat that is neutered but is spraying and peeing on everything. He has ruined two chairs, rugs, pillows, etc. We are going to have a urine sample tested in case he has a medical problem, but I think he has cat overload, cause we have eight cats and two dogs. Hes been doing this for quite awhile now, and my husband is thoroughly disgusted. He wants to put him to sleep, I want to see if the Humane Society can find him a home where he'd be the only cat. I raised him since he was 12 hours old, and hate to get rid of him, but I can't keep shampooing everyting, and it really doesn't help anyhow. They have six litter boxes that are kept very clean, and none of the other cats do this.