Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puddles and Jasper

Love4himies
August 25th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Well Jasper and Puddles were at the vet.

Jasper's anal glands were infected again, poor boy :sad:. It is so painful for him. They gave him a shot of Convenia.

FINALLY got some urine out of Puddles :thumbs up. Her kidneys are concentrating well 1.050. Tiny bit of protein (I think 1??), but her Ph is at 7.0 :eek: Normally she is 6.3 to 6.5. Vet didn't seem concerned as there were no signs of any crystals. Oh, and a bit of bacteria, but wasn't a sterile sample so vet wasn't too concerned. No RBC or WBC.

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Poor Jasper! :grouphug: Infected anal glands! Owie!

We had a dog with recurring anal gland impactions and the vets finally removed the glands. Can they do that sort of thing with cats? :fingerscr

Good results for Puddles! So Puddles doesn't like to piddle on command? :o :p I'm glad she finally cooperated for Mommy! :D

breeze
August 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
:goodvibes::goodvibes: that Jasper and Puddles start feeling better soon

:grouphug::goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 25th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Poor Jasper! :grouphug: Infected anal glands! Owie!

We had a dog with recurring anal gland impactions and the vets finally removed the glands. Can they do that sort of thing with cats? :fingerscr

Good results for Puddles! So Puddles doesn't like to piddle on command? :o :p I'm glad she finally cooperated for Mommy! :D

My vet has never taken out a cat's anal glands (he has been in practise for 25 years) and hesitates to do so because they are so tiny, unlike a dogs. He did mention that for some dogs they clean them right out and inject Baytril right into the glands, but once again, cat's glands are very tiny and he has never done that on a cat. He has never seen glands like Jasper's :sad:. The anal gland fluid actually solidifies into a large crunchie solid that irritates his glands and creates the blockage.

onster
August 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Oh no :( Poor poor jasper. Does jasper normally have firm stools L4H? I wonder why the glands don't express themselves naturally?

Perhaps you could learn how to express them yourself and then express them every few days, so that there is no buildup?

I hope Puddles is ok too :grouphug:

Love4himies
August 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
He does have firm stools and it is usually only one gland that gives him troubles. The vet doesn't know what is causing it.

Cats glands are more complicated to express than a dogs so I would never attempt it. I will pay the 65 dollars for the vet visit. Plus if there is any pus, he need antibiotics anyways :sad:.

I am a little worried about the ph of Puddles' urine, so I am hoping SCM or Growler will have some comments.

onster
August 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Oh ok, I wasnt aware of that. My vet said she could teach me for Onnie..but it was so gross that she really didn't think id want to know :yuck:. Thankfully Onnie has not had issues since then. I had read that when the gland gets blocked, then it gets infected..that's why i was thinking keep expressing them to keep them from getting to the point of infection. But of course I am sure your vet knows better.

Poor jasper he must be in so much pain.

sugarcatmom
August 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM
but her Ph is at 7.0 :eek: Normally she is 6.3 to 6.5.

Urine ph fluctuates throughout the day, so a one-off reading of 7.0 isn't too worrisome. If you want to get a better feel for Puddles' overall urine acidity, you can get some ph test strips from a health food store and take a few readings over several days. Look for a test strip with a wide range (minimum of 5.0-8.5) and at least half unit increments, like this brand: http://www.ph-ion.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=205

I also have lots of pee-catching tips, if you need them.

ancientgirl
August 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Poor Jasper. Is there something natural he can take?

I hope Puddles urine doesn't become an issue for her. :pray:

Love4himies
August 25th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Urine ph fluctuates throughout the day, so a one-off reading of 7.0 isn't too worrisome. If you want to get a better feel for Puddles' overall urine acidity, you can get some ph test strips from a health food store and take a few readings over several days. Look for a test strip with a wide range (minimum of 5.0-8.5) and at least half unit increments, like this brand: http://www.ph-ion.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=205

I also have lots of pee-catching tips, if you need them.

Thanks SCM. Puddles is very, shall I say, discrete when she piddles so it is very difficult to get a sample from her :frustrated:. Conditions must be "perfect", hence why it was so long and difficult to get a sample from her :yell:. She had lots of urine, so I am thinking she hadn't gone since early morning and it was 4:30 pm when I was at the vet.

Love4himies
August 25th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Poor Jasper. Is there something natural he can take?

I hope Puddles urine doesn't become an issue for her. :pray:

Normally, if the stools are firm, the glands should secrete on their own, Jasper has one that just doesn't seem to want to secrete. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Another thing they can do with anal glands is clean them out and put something like panalog in them to lubricate them and prevent infection--not sure if you can use Panalog with cats, but it works pretty well for dogs. :shrug:

I feel so bad for Uncle Jasper :sad:

Frenchy
August 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM
2 kitties at the vet ? :eek:

I don't know if this would help but .... one of my past cats was always constipated and was on special food and my vet ( back then ) told me I could give him also Metamucil (which I only tried once , I prefered the special food I had for him) I wonder if it would help Jasper ? If it is really safe for cats of course !

luckypenny
August 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Just throwing this out there :o...but is it possible that the gland has a cut or something on it and keeps getting re-infected because it's not healing :shrug:?

:goodvibes: for both Puddles and Jasper.

Love4himies
August 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Hmmmm, LP, wonder if you are onto something. It is always the same gland.

Last night DH and I were talking and wondering if there isn't some injury he sustained when he was mauled by a dog before we adopted him.

Hazel, my vet did mention cleaning out the glands and inserting Baytril into them to make sure all the infection is cleared up. He has never done it on a cat and is hesitant because their glands are so small compared to a dogs. He didn't mention anything about a lubricant.

Frenchy: I know and 300 bucks later :yell:. Jasper has perfectly formed stools with the exception of every once in a while he gets a bout of diarrhea. His stools should forcing the glands to empty.

I think I am going to do some research on the removal of anal glands on cats. I think that will be his only cure.

growler~GateKeeper
August 27th, 2009, 01:04 AM
:grouphug: for Jasper

WTG on finally getting a sample outta the stingy grrl :D

Higher levels of phosphorus & magnesium in the diet & subsequently in the blood can lead to a higher more alkaline urine pH level. Duffy's had been at 7 for a few tests, at one point it was 7.5 & in the blood work taken the same time her phos level was higher than previously tested. Both have since dropped to more appropriate levels; waiting on this visits results.

Since Puddles had a full bladder & having held it for a few hours might also have altered the pH level.

Did Puddles eat just before the test? The pH of urine usually becomes more alkaline after eating a large meal, smaller meals throughout the day apparently keeps the urine a bit more acidic
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2142&aid=2729

Love4himies
August 27th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Higher levels of phosphorus & magnesium in the diet & subsequently in the blood can lead to a higher more alkaline urine pH level. Duffy's had been at 7 for a few tests, at one point it was 7.5 & in the blood work taken the same time her phos level was higher than previously tested. Both have since dropped to more appropriate levels; waiting on this visits results.

Since Puddles had a full bladder & having held it for a few hours might also have altered the pH level.

Did Puddles eat just before the test? The pH of urine usually becomes more alkaline after eating a large meal, smaller meals throughout the day apparently keeps the urine a bit more acidic
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2142&aid=2729

I don't think Puddles ate before the vet visit, I came home from work, scooped them up and went to the vet. She is a muncher, never eating a whole lot at a time.

I hope the raw I make is not too high in phosphorus :eek: It is mainly chicken (all parts) and a bit of pork (Jasper's fav meat). She also eats all varieties of Instinct, so maybe she had a can that had more phosphorus in it that day :shrug:.

Thank you for the link, growler. Very informative. I didn't realise the importance of magnesium levels in a cat's diet. She gets enough fluids, I add a bit of water to their canned and raw.

I'll have to find a way to check her ph levels as SCM suggested to see if this was isolated or if is her norm.

TanyaP
September 11th, 2009, 07:16 AM
My Mom's cat, Cleo, had issues with her anal glands, they kept getting infected, and my mother ended up going the vet regularly for treatment. Someone suggested to my mother at one point to shave Cleo, especially near her butt to see if that would alleviate the problem, and since then, Cleo's had no issues with her glands. She has the type of fur that's so fine and thick, that the infections kept getting worse because the fur kept going into her anus after she did her business... She's been getting shaved for the past year, and she's so much happier, so is my mother. :)

chico2
September 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM
L4H,Chico has for years had that problem,has seen 3 vets over the years that are not concerned.:shrug:
He has a little white liquid coming from the upper part of his anus and it will harden in to what looks like a brown will-not,he does not seem to be in pain.
I just flick the scab off and it starts all over again.
Even my new vet,is not concerned about it:confused:

TanyaP
September 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I don't understand why your vets haven't been concerned about this condition in your cat... I really don't get that... :eek:

Love4himies
September 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Tanya. Jasper does have medium fur, but it is not thick at all, but I do like the idea of shaving him so I can see his bum better.

Chico: do you think if I could flick off the hardened brown spots it may allow his glands to flow more easily? Could it really be that simple?

chico2
September 11th, 2009, 03:38 PM
L4H,it seems to be what my vet think's,I do it about once every 2 weeks,but I don't know:confused:
Chico is not bothered by it..