Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Safe and Effective Remedy for Cat Pimples

friend2animals
August 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hi Everyone,

DISCLAIMER: I am not a Veterinarian, however, the home remedy provided in this post has been tested, and has proven to be safe, reliable, and effective. This is not discounting the importance of an expert consult and diagnosis with your regular Vet!

Several years ago, I detected several white colored bumps directly below my cats chin. With closer attention, using a flashlight (my cat was all black), I could plainly see that my cat had pimples, specifically, "whiteheads". I applied Tea Tree Oil (Body Shop product), diluted heavily with warm water to the pimples and surrounding area 4x a day using both cotton balls and Q-Tips, and within 3 days, the pimples vanished, and never returned!:thumbs u p
[The pimples were a direct result of a contact allergy]

Should anyone experience this with their cat, and have certainty that this is what the problem is, then I recommend using Tea Tree Oil, diluted with warm water. PLEASE test this product out before using it! If there is discharge that is either yellow, green, or black, SEE YOUR VET!

I hope this information will prove helpful.....:):cat:

bendyfoot
August 25th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Um, last I heard, Tea Tree Oil was toxic to cats...

http://www.messybeast.com/teatree.htm

http://www.tea-tree-oil-use.com/pets.htm

friend2animals
August 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evidently NOT!

bendyfoot
August 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Well, I personally am not going to risk it. When the manufacturers of tea tree oil themselves say not to use it, I think that's a good sign to stay away. :shrug:

friend2animals
August 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Hmmmmm...this is interesting and informative. I guess this is a relatively new discovery. I posted this because of the success. To help people and their pets.

If this is a somewhat new discovery, then by all means, DO NOT use this product. There were absolutely NO adverse effects. My cat continued to live a healthy, blemish free existence.

Stacer
August 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM
rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball worked when my kitteh had a pimple on her chin.

sugarcatmom
August 25th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Witch Hazel or colloidal silver are much better options for treating feline acne than tea tree oil. The problem with using essential oils around cats is that their livers are not efficient at metabolizing the phenols and terpenes, which can then build up to toxic levels after repeated use. Where cats are concerned, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

http://www.thelavendercat.com/3201/index.html

bendyfoot
August 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
*bows down to great cat guru SCM*

:D:D:D Good info!

friend2animals
August 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Yeah...ironically enough, I was actually concerned that rubbing alcohol would be bad for the cats skin etc...Too harsh.

friend2animals
August 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
This is all interesting info. As I said, I never had to apply this again. The pimples were a direct result of a contact allergy. I removed the source of the allergy, and life went on....

14+kitties
August 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I have found a couple of my kitties have had those pimples on their chins too. I removed the plastic dishes, replaced them with glass, and the pimples went away with no treatment. I guess I was lucky. :thumbs up

friend2animals
August 25th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I guess cat acne is somewhat common. I've actually heard of dogs getting it...

I would never intentionally risk the well being of a pet. Perhaps I was lucky???

It's just I had had so much success with past home remedies - as directed by my Vet, that using Tea Tree Oil seemed the way to go...If this acne had persisted, however, I would have sought out alternative remedies. I am certain that I would not have applied Tea Tree Oil a second time.

I'm always interested in alternative/holistic treatments for my pets...:)