Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This is ridiculous!!

CearaQC
August 25th, 2009, 11:36 AM
This is f'ing ridiculous! Our town DESPERATELY needs another vet to come and set up shop.

Finally got an appointment for the kitten to get vaccinated for SEPTEMBER 28!

So I have to keep a poor little kitty stuck in a crate for an entire month before he ever gets to see the vet for vaccinations.

I told them on the phone that this is for the SPCA Gaspe and the kitten needs care and that vaccinations take like 10 minutes or less and they can't fit him in for another month? I ask why and he says they are fully booked.

We can't operate like this any more and need another vet.

Please, if you know anyone that's looking to start a new practice, here's a town that will fill up with customers pretty darn quick.

Where would I even look to ask vets to make the move out here??

luckypenny
August 25th, 2009, 12:50 PM
You might want to start at the OMVQ :shrug:. I don't think there's an English version though.

http://www.omvq.qc.ca/

Or perhaps contact someone at Universite de Montreal's Faculty of Veterinary Medicine?

http://www.medvet.umontreal.ca/infoGen/aPropos.html

Winston
August 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I was going to say the same thing and perhaps a letter to the closest college to advise that there is a need? What about the municipality you live in? Is there an association like the BIA (Business Improvement Area>) who promote things for the town?

Like someone must decide if a McDOnalds is built or a Gas Station ???

Good Luck

Love4himies
August 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
If I remember correctly, didn't you have a rediculous wait to have Sandy spayed?

Melinda
August 25th, 2009, 02:28 PM
where abouts are you?

mollywog
August 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM
could you possibly go to another town, maybe even 1 hr away for a different vet? I'm not sure where you live, or what it's like. We don't even have a vet in our town. There's one 1 hr away, who comes up here once a month and spays/ neuters, vaccs, etc out of his MOTORHOME! (too sketchy.... we just travel 4 hrs to Thunder Bay for Molly's vaccinations- don't know what we would do Dog Forbid if she got into any kind of medical emergency!!! :eek:)

CearaQC
August 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Yes we have always had long wait times for appointments.

Any time there is an "emergency" that means you won't even be able to set foot in their door for at least three days.

Every time I have gone there, the place is packed with barely any room to move. The waiting area is so tiny and they have only two exam rooms and that's it. But they sure as heck make enough room for a giant pet food rack and tons of overpriced toys hanging from the ceiling. And on top of that, if you make an appointment, you're never in the exam room until almost an hour after the appointed time.

Either they need to expand their business, which in return, will bring them more customers, or we need another vet practice altogether. They have a large parking area for such a small building and can expand no problem and still have plenty of parking.

In my opinion it's a stupid business practice to stay so small when there is a obvious need for the services.

I think I'll draw up a petitions for the public to sign and see how many others agree.

Thanks for the links LP. I'm not too sure at this point that just calling around will do the trick. We need to prove there is a need and I think the petitions will supply that.

The next nearest vet is a few hours drive away in Chandler. We're in the Gaspe region of Quebec. Many English people live here. So the Perce area residents have to drive to Gaspe or Chandler for vet care. Then there are tons of other little towns also, too many to mention here.

The area is growing so fast with all kinds of people moving in and new homes being built.

Plus I have a great business idea, modeled on the vet my parents go to in the states, and whoever decides to open a business here like my idea will make a ton of money. They have a half vet office and half pet day care/kennel. They are friendly, nice, reasonably priced and love animals. My parents' vet even gave them a memorial plaque when they had to put down one of their cats. How many vets do that? Not many I would imagine. They are lucky.

This same type of business in this area will make good money, especially if they bring in grain free, non prescription pet foods like Orijen, Wellness, etc. None of that stuff is available here at all and I can't even get the grocery store chain owners to order it in.

Tundra_Queen
August 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Ceara I'm sorry u have to wait so long to see the vet. But if the clinic expanded and got more customers wouldn't that make the wait even longer? Unless they have more than one vet in that clinic and just not enough space to seat everyone?