Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor Poodles!

CearaQC
August 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Animal magic: The poodles transformed into pandas, horses and even snails at 'creative grooming' dog shows

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208913/The-poodles-transformed-pandas-horses-snails-creative-grooming-dog-shows.html#ixzz0PDEN4MSZ

Look what they are doing to these poor Poodles! Dressing them up and dyeing the fur to make them look like Camels, Buffalo, and Peacocks!

14+kitties
August 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Disgusting! Poor dogs. :sad:

BenMax
August 25th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Sorry - but I totally disapprove of this type of 'art'. I can only imagine how humiliating this is for them. Seriously, who enjoys this? It's just ridiculous.

Personally, I think that they should use these artists for something and put them on display. Let's see how entertaining this will be.

LavenderRott
August 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Wow.

All over the world dogs are being abused in horrific ways. Kept in small cages, covered in their own filth being bred over and over again for profit. Being thrown into pits and forced to fight, often to the death. Dogs that don't fight are electrocuted, hung, beat or just simply left to die of their wounds.

In this economy dogs are being left in abandoned homes to die.

And you are angry about some dogs that just spent a couple of hours being pampered and loved on because of the creative haircut?

Wow. Just wow.

bendyfoot
August 25th, 2009, 02:08 PM
It's not my "thing" personally, but I don't see the harm in it. How is it any different from a show dog whose handler spends hours bathing, drying, combing, clipping, chalking etc. before a competition? No one says those dogs are being harmed by the experience...:shrug:

BenMax
August 25th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Wow.

All over the world dogs are being abused in horrific ways. Kept in small cages, covered in their own filth being bred over and over again for profit. Being thrown into pits and forced to fight, often to the death. Dogs that don't fight are electrocuted, hung, beat or just simply left to die of their wounds.

In this economy dogs are being left in abandoned homes to die.

And you are angry about some dogs that just spent a couple of hours being pampered and loved on because of the creative haircut?

Wow. Just wow.

You are absolutely right LavenderRott as I am in the front lines seeing the horror of all that you describe - almost everyday.

I just think that it is ridiculous to do this. I say this because I know when I get a dog groomed (and a normal grooming at that), some become shy and withdrawn due to the new 'do'. I just feel it's totally unnecessary to do this. It looks ridiculous and it really is just nonsense. They should put that time and enegry going to a shelter and grooming all those cases you describe above.

14+kitties
August 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I am more concerned with the dangers of using dye on the dogs. Especially so close to the eyes. That is what I find disturbing. I can imagine what my toy would do to me if I tried grooming her those ways. I would be bearing tooth marks from the few remaining teeth the old gal has. :D

bendyfoot
August 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
You are absolutely right LavenderRott as I am in the front lines seeing the horror of all that you describe - almost everyday.

I just think that it is ridiculous to do this. I say this because I know when I get a dog groomed (and a normal grooming at that), some become shy and withdrawn due to the new 'do'. I just feel it's totally unnecessary to do this. It looks ridiculous and it really is just nonsense. They should put that time and enegry going to a shelter and grooming all those cases you describe above.

I totally agree that it's silly...but it's definitely not harmful...

the dyes they use (I believe) are typically food colouring...not harmful (it's not like normal hair dye for people)...

BenMax
August 25th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I totally agree that it's silly...but it's definitely not harmful...

the dyes they use (I believe) are typically food colouring...not harmful (it's not like normal hair dye for people)...

It is not real 'dye' like I use. No I hear what you are saying, but my arguement is putting this energy somewhere else. Would be more beneficial and more appropriate. But hey that's my mind set. Certainly does not have to be anyone elses. I just pick up all those mangled, knotted up dogs and WISH someone would have taken the time and care to make them just comfortable.

bendyfoot
August 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I completly agree time could be better spent...but I suppose everyone's allowed to have a "hobby" :laughing:

Bailey_
August 25th, 2009, 03:56 PM
:yuck: This actually DOES bother me too. I've seen this a while ago, and I can't help but think how sad these dogs look. When did a dog become an art project and not a companion?

I'm all for keeping your animal healthy and groomed, but this is just taking things too far. Dogs are dogs for a reason. No need to turn them into other animals at our twisted pleasure...:frustrated:

BenMax
August 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
:yuck: This actually DOES bother me too. I've seen this a while ago, and I can't help but think how sad these dogs look. When did a dog become an art project and not a companion?

I'm all for keeping your animal healthy and groomed, but this is just taking things too far. Dogs are dogs for a reason. No need to turn them into other animals at our twisted pleasure...:frustrated:

PHeww - I guess there is someone just as nutty as me then! I was starting to feel all alone on this one.:sad:

You could however take this a step further based on your statement. Though it may be threadjacking but releveant to what you write.

We 'alter' our dogs such as docking and cropping. To me, this is also for a certain look which is more envasive than the grooming from hell as seen. (Ok, ok - I will open my own thread)!

LavenderRott
August 25th, 2009, 04:09 PM
For Pete's sake - it is a once a year competition. It isn't like these groomers spend all their time grooming dogs like this. A lot of them DO volunteer their time to help out with shelters and rescues.

When I look around at all the REAL suffering that animals suffer at the hands of humans, it appalls me to see people getting all up in arms and defensive about a simple haircut and temporary dye job.

And while I am at it - I won't apologize for my preference for dogs with docked tails or that I like the look of a Bouvier, Doberman, or Boxer with a lovely set of cropped ears.

BenMax
August 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
For Pete's sake - it is a once a year competition. It isn't like these groomers spend all their time grooming dogs like this. A lot of them DO volunteer their time to help out with shelters and rescues.

When I look around at all the REAL suffering that animals suffer at the hands of humans, it appalls me to see people getting all up in arms and defensive about a simple haircut and temporary dye job.

And while I am at it - I won't apologize for my preference for dogs with docked tails or that I like the look of a Bouvier, Doberman, or Boxer with a lovely set of cropped ears.

LMAO - take a breather here. It's all opinions. It's all good LavenderRott!:thumbs up

Wine anyone??? (and i mean that in the alcohol sense just to be sure that this is not taken out of context)

Bailey_
August 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM

LR, that's great. I'm glad you have a differing opinion, because this world would probably be very boring if we all thought the same thing.

I personally think it's a huge waste of time and makes a beautiful animal look ridiculous. I also don't see anyone getting 'up in arms' or 'defensive', I just see some people that don't like this kind of thing and aren't afraid to say so, regardless of whether or not they are minority on the subject.

You seem to be the only one continually bringing up animal suffering. Obviously no one here agree's with that - but aren't we still allowed to have opinions about OTHER areas of the treatment of dogs, in health care, grooming, and diet? Me thinks so.

t.pettet
August 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
If it doesn't offer any benefits to the dogs and makes them look ridiculous then what is the point, dogs are sensitive beings and know when they are being 'displayed' in a non-favourable fashion. Its a competition to see which groomer can come up with the most outrageous, I think it is a form of cruelty to make the dogs endure hours of standing on a table, dying, primping all to appease some so called 'groomer's' ego.

badabing
September 20th, 2009, 03:58 AM
This is abusive. Not one of the dogs pictured looks happy. They just look like prisoners that have no choice in the matter. They seem to be humiliated by their circumstances.