Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

frustrated with neighbours and their dog.. need advice!

mollywog
August 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
As many of you know, we moved in to our first home at the end of June. Everything is going great, Molly is all settled in, etc. HOWEVER, our nextdoor neighbours (they live really close- we are in the "city" here) have a dog that ALWAYS wanders. He is a large husky/ lab x from what I can tell, and he seems very timid of people. However, I have heard from other neighbours that he can be aggressive. He is never tied up and from what I can tell, never in their house. He is constantly wandering through our yard, pooping in our yard, and even dragging garbage bags into our yard then ripping everything apart and leaving it in our yard :frustrated:
To make matters worse, he seems to have a "girlfriend" dog, a really nice looking Husky, who is sometimes with him making the rounds around the neighbourhood. Molly gets reallly mad when they come into our yard, and starts barking aggressively, so it's not good for her either.
What should I do?? I was thinking of calling the bylaw officer today, but I realized it was too late- they only work 9-5. And by the time they got over here, the dogs would probably be gone :shrug:
Should I say something to the owners?? What should I say? They are an older couple (60 ish I would say). Oh, and the dog has no doghouse (just an overhang on the roof) and I have only ever seen them feed him table scraps. I can't tell if he's neutered. But he doesn't look healthy. :sad:
Thanks for taking the time to read and offer any advice. :highfive:

mollywog
August 24th, 2009, 07:30 PM
just realized I took this picture of him the day we moved in. He wandered over to pee on our Lilacs :frustrated:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I would politely talk to the owners and ask them if they can keep the dogs confined. If that doesn't lead anywhere I'd definitely call some kind of authorities. If the dog has shown prior aggression that's bad, and it can be even worse with 2 large dogs roaming together.

mollywog
August 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM
MBIE- the female Husky isn't their dog- she never wears a collar and might actually be a stray, she's always just wandering around :sad:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
At least ask if they can keep the one confined.

I personally like to talk directly to people before just complaining about them. That probably won't change anything but then you can at least say you tried to talk to them first.

I guess no one knows where the female came from?

People around here are really bad about letting their dogs wander around, and we're within city limits where you're not even supposed to do that. It's annoying but I generally don't say anything unless the dog is causing trouble (and it's usually little dogs that stay around their own yard - Our pound here is so bad I'd rather see them out wandering around than there :sad:), but if there was a dog bringing trash in my yard and tearing it open and it had aggression issues too I don't think I'd have much of a choice :shrug:

Bailey_
August 24th, 2009, 07:44 PM
In most cases I'd agree with MBIE that it's nice to talk to someone before calling the law, however because these are your neighbors it might be best just to call bylaw and have them deal with it. The reason is because if they for some reason *don't* change their ways after you've spoken with them, eventually you will have no choice but to call bylaw and they'll most likely know who did it. I'm not sure if that will make your life miserable, or if you wouldn't care, but sometimes it's best to be annonymous in certain situations.

It's totally unsafe for that dog to be wandering, not to mention it aggrivates Molly.

Let us know how it goes! :thumbs up

MyBirdIsEvil
August 24th, 2009, 07:52 PM
The reason is because if they for some reason *don't* change their ways after you've spoken with them, eventually you will have no choice but to call bylaw and they'll most likely know who did it. I'm not sure if that will make your life miserable, or if you wouldn't care, but sometimes it's best to be annonymous in certain situations.

See, I'm of another mind.

The neighbors are probably going to end up with an idea of who did it anyway, and they might be annoyed if someone just up and complained about them without even talking to them first.

I would let them know their dog is spreading trash all around my yard and stuff and just nicely ask if there's something they can do about that.
Maybe they don't know that their dog is causing any issues because no one has said anything to them. Some people are just horribly oblivious.

It kind of depends on what type of people they are. If they tend to get really hostile then yeah I wouldn't even discuss it with them. I'd think the other neighbors would be able to give you an idea of what type of people they are. Maybe even go over and talk to them and introduce yourself without even mentioning the dog first to get a feel. :shrug:

I just don't like calling the authorities on people without first giving them a chance to take care of the situation on their own.

ancientgirl
August 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I don't envy you your situation. That's the bad thing about having neighbors somewhere you own. On the one hand, you want to get along, but on the other, you have to deal with irresponsible people.

Bailey_
August 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Yep, I hear you MBIE. Very true.

Keep us posted MW! Maybe they've just been letting him wander for so long they don't realize it's a problem for anyone? :shrug:

mollywog
August 24th, 2009, 08:21 PM
sheesh, I really don't want to be a nagging neighbour. I've met them once, didn't get much of a "reading" on them either way, but the other 2 neighbours who I do know around here are:
#1 a REALLLLY nice, really friendly Christian lady who helps me with my gardens and probably wouldn't say S*** if her mouth were full of it! :eek:
#2 a couple who own 2 Irish Wolfhounds who bark and howl allll the time... the bylaw officer has visited their household a few times- so I don't want to mention it to them, or they will think I was the one who reported them!!!

I'm in a doggy-nightmare neighbourhood!!! :wall: :wall:

I can only think of one solution.... put up a fence!!! :thumbs up
At 250 ft. of perimeter, DH (or our wallet) isn't going to be excited about that idea :yell:

luckypenny
August 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Mollywog, is there a co-op type farm supply store near you? When we first moved here, we picked up some decent 5' high fencing and posts. It was pretty easy to install ('cept the hammering the posts into the ground) but it didn't look bad at all. It was also much much cheaper than chain link or wooden fencing. The material is a galvanized steel with 2" squares so quite strong and secure.

mollywog
August 24th, 2009, 08:34 PM
That's a good idea, LP. Unfortunately we live in a small northern town with no farms, or farming supply stores either!! :frustrated:
All we have is a Home Hardware. I think I will head over there tomorrow and at least get a quote. Then start saving my pennies!!! :rolleyes:

luckypenny
August 24th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Home Hardware may have a catalogue for fencing material that they may not carry in the store that they can order in for you. One thing I loved about it is that when everything went green in the Spring, you could hardly tell it was there.

I don't complain to neighbors :o. If I see wondering dogs on the road, I either pick them up, or call the pound if they're afraid or aggressive :shrug:. I figure if they have to pay a fine to collect their dogs, it may dawn on them to keep their dogs safe :shrug:. I tried to speak to a neighbor once about his young wandering Berner but, he didn't even answer his door and he was home :frustrated:.

Frenchy
August 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I would also go for the fence. I got it cheap (sounds like LP is describing) at Canadian Tire and COOP hardware store. :thumbs up

MyBirdIsEvil
August 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I would also put up a fence. Then again I can't stand people or animals wandering into my yard (a little more tolerant of animals). I'm a bit antisocial :rolleyes:. I can see myself when I'm old yelling at kids to "get off my lawn :yell:".

If you shop around you should be able to find something reasonably priced to put up.

Tundra_Queen
August 25th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Molly I'm sorry your having trouble with dogs wandering on your property.

A fence is a good idea, as long as the dog can't jump over it and some dogs can jump high.

Home hardware does have farm equipment in their catalogue, so u might be able to find the fencing u were mentioning in there.

Good luck!

Debbie

chico2
August 25th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I was going to say definitely a fence,but pretty high,huskys can jump:yell:
Fences makes for better neighbors IMO,no unwanted trespassings:laughing:

mollywog
August 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM
thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to take a look today. DH isn't too open to the idea- he thinks if we are going to put up a fence, it better be a "nice one" (which is not in the budget right now).... so it will take some arm-twisting!!! :rolleyes: Another issue is that our property hasn't been surveryed.... so we don't know the exact boundaries of it!!! Has anyone here had the same problem? I wonder if my neighbours properties have been surveyed, and if so, can I go by that info?? :shrug:
Oh, and both the wandering dogs seem pretty slow-moving from what I can tell.... I wouldn't be worried about them jumping in, but I am worried about Molly jumping out! That little girl sure is agile!!! What is a good fence height.... 6 ft???

bendyfoot
August 25th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I had an issue with a wanderer who would always end up on our property...his behaviour was sketchy at best...we tolerated it for a little while until it became apparent he was aggressive, not only towards our dogs but to people too. I marched him home twice, and spoke to the owner, expressing my concern about the safety of my pets and asked him to keep the dog tied when he wasn't being supervised. He said "he'd try". Third time it happened (and he acted aggressively towards DW), I called our township to report it. They sent the animal control guy out, who explained what the bylaws were, and what the potential repercussions might be. We haven't had trouble since. I want to be a good neighbour too, and my dogs aren't perfect, but if someone complained to me I would fix it, especially if my dog was a potential danger. :2cents:

chico2
August 25th, 2009, 10:57 AM
My woodden fence is 7 feet,with the top lattice.Fates owners just put one up too and it's 8 feet,a little too high,I think.

mollywog
August 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM
well, we just got back from HH. To put up 6ft panels (with lattice on top), it will cost approx. $5000 for our yard :eek: that mean's it won't be happening ANY time soon! :cry: and DH is really not interested in anything but wood.

Guess I will head over to the neighbours and talk to them next time there is a problem. :shrug:

Stacer
August 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
These kind of situations really suck. They're awkward and uncomfortable to deal with, especially if you have less than receptive neighbours. They might surprise you and be really friendly and accomodating about it though. It can't hurt to have a friendly non-confrontational chat about their dog, one dog owner to another.

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
mollywog, when we fenced in our yard, we did it in stages. Can you start with a small section where Molly can be safely put off-leash, then expand it as money allows? If you don't set the temp posts in concrete, you'll be able to reuse them as you expand.

When we expanded the side yard, we used some of the old posts and all of the fencing material. :shrug:

mollywog
August 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM
that's actually a really good idea, Hazel! We have a small "side yard" that I am sure we could fence in wayyy cheaper. But that wouldn't stop the neighbour dog from coming in to our back yard, pooping, dragging garbage, etc. yikes. But definitely a good option for Molly's happiness :D

Bailey_
August 25th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I'd definitely mention it to the neighbours in this case then. Obviously Molly is your first/main concern, but this other dog is in a very dangerous situation being allowed to wander unsupervised.:sad:

Smiley14
August 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Oh, that is so frustrating! I"m so sorry you're having to deal with that! I love Hazel's idea of a smaller fence for now. I know it won't keep the dog out of your backyard, but at least Molly would be happier. How absolutely frustrating for you!

Tundra_Queen
August 25th, 2009, 11:45 PM
thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to take a look today. DH isn't too open to the idea- he thinks if we are going to put up a fence, it better be a "nice one" (which is not in the budget right now).... so it will take some arm-twisting!!! :rolleyes: Another issue is that our property hasn't been surveryed.... so we don't know the exact boundaries of it!!! Has anyone here had the same problem? I wonder if my neighbours properties have been surveyed, and if so, can I go by that info?? :shrug:
Oh, and both the wandering dogs seem pretty slow-moving from what I can tell.... I wouldn't be worried about them jumping in, but I am worried about Molly jumping out! That little girl sure is agile!!! What is a good fence height.... 6 ft???

U can ask your neighbours if their property has been surveyed, then look for the pins. You can call your town hall and see if u can talk to the building inspector and see if they will even come and look for the pins with a metal detector and if they won't ask them for the measurements of your lot and your neighbours' lots so u can figure out where the property line is. Then when u build the fence put it 6 - 12" inside your property.Also find out if u need a building permit for a 6 ft high fence. Here we don't need a permit until it is over 5' high.

Also, could u put up a start of a fence? like running parelle to your neighbours. Then put up some snow fencing blocking off it so your dog can be outside without the other dogs being able to get at her? It won't look very nice, but at least it might help.

Maybe it would be better to ask your hubs to go talk to the neighbours about keeping their dog on their property?

Debbie

MyBirdIsEvil
August 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM
that's actually a really good idea, Hazel! We have a small "side yard" that I am sure we could fence in wayyy cheaper. But that wouldn't stop the neighbour dog from coming in to our back yard, pooping, dragging garbage, etc. yikes. But definitely a good option for Molly's happiness :D

I was gonna ask if you had to fence your WHOLE yard. If you have a large yard $5000 does sound about right.

Though your husband is set on wood try to steer him toward the plastic panels (there's some that look similar to wood in color and stuff). They're maintenance free. Seriously, if your going to fence a large area wood fences will need to be repaired and maintained because they rarely stay completely straight even when put up right due to weather and settling. :shrug:
I'm going to go with wood (currently we have a block fence) but my yard's not all that big and I want it to match the neighbors fence since they're going to be tied together. If it wasn't for the matching thing I would just go with plastic panels. You just spray 'em down if they get dirty.

6 foot sounds about right if you don't want your dog jumping it, but i have seen some very agile dogs that can jump a 6 foot fence (they jump and grab the top portion). That's not that likely though, most dogs aren't that motivated unless you're going to leave them out there 24/7, which doesn't apply to you guys.
You may have to put something along the bottom of the fence (there are several different options for that) to keep your dog from digging out. I dunno how much of a digger yours is, but Walnut takes all of 5 mins to dig out from under a normal wood fence. :evil: She digs herself out and teaches any other dogs that are with her.

Oh, and if your yard has ever been surveyed before it's usually on record. You just have to pay a small fee to recover the records (at least that's how it is here). Otherwise you will need a full survey done which can cost a couple of hundred dollars.

free
August 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
mollywog look through the papers you signed when you bought the house. the mortgage company might have a copy of an old survey, they need that to approve a mortgage. we also got a copy from the lawyer when he registered the house with the government

mollywog
August 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
mollywog look through the papers you signed when you bought the house. the mortgage company might have a copy of an old survey, they need that to approve a mortgage. we also got a copy from the lawyer when he registered the house with the government

There was no survey :sad: I remember signing a document that basically gave us insurance since the property is "unsurveyed". But we will be building a garage in the near future so we will have to get a survey done for that anyways.