Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescue Pit Bull pees in the bed

Supercuger
August 18th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Hi--this is my first time on this site. I need help with our rescue pit bull. We got her at around 4 months old. She is now around 11 months old. She always goes outside to go potty and does not have accidents in the house. The only weird thing is, she loves to get up on the couch and on the bed when we go out and sit on the porch for a while without putting her in her kennel or when I accidentally fall asleep on the couch watching tv----she is not allowed on the couch or the bed and she knows it. She sneaks--which is ok but when she does sneak on the bed she pees a HUGE puddle right in the middle of the bed. We don't give her many opportunities to get up there by keeping an eye on her and also keep her in a kennel when we leave, so this has happened maybe four times spread out over the entire amount of time that we have had her. It hasn't been all at once or else I would think she has a infection or something. Also she just had a vet check and she is fine. Anybody have any ideas?
Supercuger

Lucky Rescue
August 18th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Do you have any other pets? The reason I ask is that MY rescued pit bull also peed on the bed quite a few times after my niece and her ferret slept in that bed. I assume it was a marking behavior when she found the strange scent there. I cleaned up the mattress and sheets, and put a gate up in the doorway of that room. She never did it again.

Since your dog has no bladder or urinary tract infection, I suggest you gate off the bedroom and living room, and thoroughly clean where she peed with something like Nature's Miracle, to really get rid of the odor. Keep these rooms out of bounds when you aren't home, and hopefully she will get over this.

I would love to see a pic of your girl!:)

heeler's rock!
August 18th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Hey. It also sounds like your pit bull is trying to dominate one of the people that sleep in that bed. If one of you is seen by her as "weaker" than her, then she is going to try and dominate. She is basically telling the weaker one to stay away from her territory. My suggestion would be for you both to do obedience training with her with someone who will help you establish Alpha. Once she realizes that she doesn't own you two, she'll stop her peeing on the bed. Trust me... :)

Enjolras
August 19th, 2004, 03:58 AM
she is doing one of two things, imo.

she is marking her territory (by defying you and getting on to the bed, *then* peeing on it). my dog did this once....i let her know that i was mad at her, then ALWAYS shut the door when i wasn't in the room.

she did it for the second reason:

she was mad at me. she knows the rules. she also knows that when she breaks them, she gets attention (negative, but attention.) if she is craving more attention than i'm giving her (working a lot or whatnot), she'll try to get more by being bad. my solution was to pretty much ignore her requests for attention and just clean up her mess.

so far, she has responded well to this...she is getting to the point where she understands that some days i have a few hours to play with her, and others i don't have as much time. it is slow, but sure.

also...rescue puppies love you more than breeder puppies, by far! :) :) :) :)

Enjolras
August 19th, 2004, 04:20 AM
forgot to mention...

if you're worried about it being an ongoing problem, invest $10 in a rubber sheet for your bed. its better than spending $600 for a new mattress :D :D :D