Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with IBD very sick - please help

LLS
August 23rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
My 8 1/2 year old cat has IBD. He has been on increasing doses of Prednisolone (3.5 ML) and Metronidazole (1.25 ML) since March 2009. At first the smaller doses were working with vomiting and lethargy greatly reduced. But each month vomiting and lethargy have increased. My vet keeps increasing the doses of both meds, but it does not seem to be helping. I am slowly changing his diet to Duck and Peas, but he does not like it and he needs to eat. On Friday, he had not eaten or drank anything, so back to the vet. She gave him fluids. By Saturday late morning he ate, but later in the day threw up. He has not eaten or drank anything (that I know of) since yesterday afternoon. I have tried everything, and feel that I am loosing him. He will go to the emergency vet today, if he continues not eating and drinking. Has anyone gone through this? Am I over reacting?
Please, any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Love4himies
August 23rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
So sorry that your kitty is having so much problems with his digestion system :grouphug:.

What are you feeding your kitty? Have you tried a raw diet? If not, would you consider a raw diet?

Cats can have a very sensitive digestive system and may require their spieces specific diet. There digestive track is made to digest meat, not veggies and grains.

Here is some good reading about cat food:

http://www.catinfo.org/

And some good reading on cat nutrition:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

sugarcatmom
August 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Has your cat been tested for pancreatitis? How was the IBD diagnosis made?

Love4himies made a good suggestion about considering a raw diet. What food (brand? wet or dry?) has he been eating and what are you switching him to? Along with the links that L4H gave you, here is a good one that discusses a raw diet in relation to IBD: http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php

There are also some supplements that might help, like slippery elm bark, vitamin B12 injections, Omega3 fatty acids, Transfer Factor..... A good place to get more info is from the Feline IBD Yahoo group (http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FelineIBD/).

LLS
August 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
He was on Friskies wet. Purina One dry. We tried Hills Prescription Duck and peas. He wouldn't eat it. I made him duck and he ate the plain chopped up duck, but not the "cat food" I made from the duck. I would put him on anything right now to get him to eat. He SEEMS interested, but then walks away. Right now, I'm just a bit frantic to get him to eat/drink ANYTHING.

sugarcatmom
August 23rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
He could be nauseous. Plain chicken baby food (no onions) is very enticing to most cats and should be easy on his stomach. You might also want to ask the vet about an appetite stimulant if this goes on for another day. Mirtazapine is a good choice because it also is an anti-emetic and you only have to give it every 3 days. Has your cat ever had an ultrasound or an fPLI test done?

Try some other wet foods, even Fancy Feast (pate varieties only, preferably with no fish, which is a common allergen for cats). Wellness makes some good grain-free flavours as well.

LLS
August 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Sugarcatmom,
Thank you! After trying tuna juice, chicken baby food, fresh chicken ground with a bit of water and broth, EVERY variety of cat food I have in the house (fancy feast, Wiskars, friskies regular and indoor formula, prescription diet, tilapia fish, Wellness Quail, and flounder, he ate Pounce Treats...perhaps he is feeling a tiny bit better. I have been putting water on his paws, but have not yet seen him drink (from the many dishes of water, including bottled water and water with tuna juice in it). He will be going to the vet first thing for fluids if this doesn't change.

Frank (the cat in question) had an ultrasound in March and another one two weeks ago. He has been to both the emergency vet and our regular vet and they concur that it is Inflammatory bowl disease (the ultrasounds were also sent out just to make sure a 3rd part agreed). The first test was done after he was responding well on the meds and showed only mild thickening. The 2nd test showed more thickening of the walls of the bowl and stomach. Neither showed lesions or tumors or anything other than the thickening. I do not know what an fPli test is...no one has recommended one.

Again thank you! A cat sick on a Sunday is always scary since it has a possibility of an emergency vet visit ($125.00 to walk in the door!). On the other hand, if he needs it he's going.

sugarcatmom
August 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
Glad he ate the Pounce treats at least! Temptation treats would be another one to try. My cat had some serious appetite issues a while back where the only thing he would eat was Wysong cat treats and plain yogurt. He started eating normal cat food again after about 2 weeks of this, but in the meantime I threw out a heckuva lot of food trying to entice him at the kitty buffet. So I feel your pain! My fingers are crossed that he recovers quickly from this episode. (have you tried sardines?)

The fPLI test is the one for pancreatitis. Blood work has to be sent out to another lab, but it's the most conclusive (but not absolutely foolproof) way to diagnose it in cats. Pancreatitis can sometimes occur concurrently with IBD and because it's so painful, many cats will stop eating. If pancreatitis is present, pain meds are an important part of therapy. Here's more info: http://www.harpsie.com/pancreatitis.htm

I would also ask your vet about getting some vit B12 (cobalamin) injections for Frank. Thickened, mucusy intestines can interfere with nutrient absorption, which is why the injections (thus bypassing the digestive tract) are most effective. Here is more info you can forward to the vet if they're unfamiliar with the protocol: http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/research/cobalamin.shtml

Good luck! Keep us updated on how Frank is doing. :grouphug:

LLS
August 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Sugarcatmom and Love4himies,
Thank you for the great links...I have much to read and try for Frank!
He finally started eating and drinking normally around 3:00pm. Still going to call the Vet today...just to let her know.
Thank you again!

Love4himies
August 24th, 2009, 07:59 AM
That is great that he is starting to eat again :thumbs up

redwitchnz
August 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM
yes we had the same, the vet did prescribe an appetitie inhancer which worked well, along with the prednisone treatment, for 10 days..
Cleo now lives on small meals of raw chicken, if we give her larger meals then she will vomit, she seems to have more good days than bad now, still the occasional vomiting, I wish you all the best.
Sardines make her vomit, so do all the cat food brands, small amounts of raw beef also seems ok, again small and often feeds seem better thanlarge meals.
But we think we have it under control and then she vomits again..