Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Darby was sick

Tundra_Queen
August 23rd, 2009, 02:27 AM
Hi

Darby was sick again last night. She had finished her wet food and after a couple of minutes she threw up all over the carpet.

I don't think it was a fur ball cause it was just liquid.

She was sick the day before and I gave her a bit of hairball remedy, but I still didn't think it was from a fur ball.

I am wondering if she is getting IBS like Willie or if it's caused from stomach acid flowing upwards.

Today I raised all the cat dishes up a bit, as they all sample each other's food. So I'm hoping that will help.

I did have to lift all the food dishes up tonight, as Darby was going around and pigging out of everyone's. I was worried she was going to be sick just from over eating.

I'm hoping she won't be sick anymore. I do give the cats pumpkin every other day to try and help with fur balls. I just hope she's not getting something seriously wrong. :sad:

Debbie

growler~GateKeeper
August 23rd, 2009, 03:55 AM
It might still be a hairball that is taking a little longer to bring up, or she might've either eaten too fast or just pigged out :shrug:

Is she pooping normally?

Still active/acting normally?

I would separate her from the others at the next feeding, give her about 1/2 her normal meal wait a few mins then feed her the rest. Keep her in the separate room until the others have finished their food, then pick up the dishes. See how she does after that, if she throws up tomorrow without a hairball, then consider alternatives.

Tundra_Queen
August 23rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
It might still be a hairball that is taking a little longer to bring up, or she might've either eaten too fast or just pigged out :shrug:

Is she pooping normally?

Still active/acting normally?

I would separate her from the others at the next feeding, give her about 1/2 her normal meal wait a few mins then feed her the rest. Keep her in the separate room until the others have finished their food, then pick up the dishes. See how she does after that, if she throws up tomorrow without a hairball, then consider alternatives.

Growler, I get the Hairball Lick Stick made by Perkin. It's like a deodarant stick and they just lick it and the fur goes right thru them. From what I understand they aren't suppose to throw up.

She seems to be acting noramlly, but she doesn't do much so it's kind of hard to tell. I don't know if she's pooping. With 4 cats it's hard to tell who is doing what. I will keep an eye on her. It's so cold here she is curled up in the cat house with a blanekt I gave her.

I bring a dish of food upstairs for her when she goes to bed with me, so she can eat during the night. She is the only cat allowed in the bedroom at this time because I don't want Willie being mean to her when I'm sleeping. He seems to be pretty good to her, but I don't want to take any chances until she gets older and bigger. I put a container under her food dish in the bedroom to raise it up a couple of inches too, so I hope that helps.

Mirabelle and Willie are use to eating a bit of wet at a time, going away from it for a while and then coming back and eating some more. I will try picking up their dishes tomorrow just to see if that will help Darby and figure somewhere to put them so Darby can't get at the food but the other 2 can.

Thanks for your help. :)

Debbie