Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

neighborhood cat had stillborn

BiscuitandGravy
August 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to these forums but have already found so much helpful information regarding my kitties.

I came home last night to find what I believe was a cat fetus sitting on my porch swing. We have a lot of feral neighborhood cats around here. We leave food out for them and they often seek shelter from the weather on our porch. It did not look like the cat had given birth on the porch swing as there weren't many fluids surrounding it, it looked more like it had brought it there after the fact. I'm a little worried about the momma and have looked around the area for her to see if she needs a vet. Are mother cats generally ok after having a stillborn or premature kitten or could this indicate that she needs medical attention?

I really hope she's ok out there. I would appreciate any reassurance or advice.

catlover2
August 22nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
In my experience, most mom cats are fine after having a stillborn kitten.

However should she develop a uterine infection (pyometra) usually visible by white (pus) discharge from her vagina she would need immediate medical attention for antibiotics. But if she could not be caught, since she's feral the pyometra will eventually kill her. If she's in that state she would likely hide away somewhere to die. :sad: Let's hope she'll be OK.

luckypenny
August 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
BiscuitandGravy, I don't have any advice but I want to thank you for being concerned and wanting to look out for that kitty.

kathryn
August 23rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
She would require medical attention... she would need to be spayed ASAP. Recently I was on a surgery with a female cat that was sickly looking.. when the vet was spaying her he found a stillborn kitten still stuck inside her uterus. Once the uterus was detached from the cat we opened it up and the whole thing was super gross..

I don't think a cat would just leave a stillborn fetus somewhere thought. it generally doesn't work that way. They would either eat it or bury it or something.

In all honesty I think someone probably put the kitten fetus there to be disgusting. Or it may have just been a full term kitten that just passed away. Especially on a porch swing? Unless it was a big comfy swing with a ton of cushion I see absolutely no reason why a pregnant/delivering cat would be anywhere near such a thing.

If you can do TNR then that's the best thing you can do. The cat can very easily get a pyometra or if it ends up having more kittens stuck inside, that won't be good.

I hate to rain on everyones parade and be the one who 'goes there' but yeah, I've seen some pretty nasty stuff in my job.

CearaQC
August 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
I hate to rain on everyones parade and be the one who 'goes there' but yeah, I've seen some pretty nasty stuff in my job.

I don't mind! If I didn't have such a weak stomach for blood/guts I would have probably gone into either the medical field or veterinary field. But still find stuff interesting.

BiscuitandGravy
August 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have been keeping on the lookout for the various neighborhood cats the past few days and the only one I see much sleeps on our porch and swing often. I can only imagine it was this kitty as she's very comfortable and has kind of made the porch her home. She doesn't seem in any distress but I'm going to call some local stray rescues and see if they can help me catch her for a spay.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't done as a joke as I just moved to the area and don't know too many people. There are a lot of older people in the neighborhood and I would hope no one would do that cause it was really gross and sad.