Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ramadan Kareem :)

onster
August 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
I remember there being another muslim on pets.ca but I can't remember who :o In any case, ramadan kareem to all :) (Ramadan is generous is the direct translation). It's the holiest month in the Muslim year, where we try to erase our sins of the years past and refocus on God. Were supposed to be 'good' all year round of course lol, but this is the time to really think about your choices, your way of life, your attitude and strive to improve. It's also a month of great charity and empathy with those less fortunate. We have extra prayers 'taraweeh' after Isha (the last of the 5 prayers), all month long too.

Anyway that's the best I can explain it :)

First day of fasting and it's gonna be a loooong day..oh and just cuz I always get asked this...no we can't drink anything either (or smoke...smokers get cranky :p) from sunrise to sunset. We do have an early morning meal b4 sunrise. Of course I neglected to do that last night lol.

In Egypt we have a tradition of ramadan lanterns for kids and adults alike so here is pic of the one I got last yr from Egypt. It is probably the least fancy of the ones for adults - there are some really gorgeous ones out there.

14+kitties
August 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Is it Byrd's husband? We haven't seen her for quite some time.
Ramadan Kareem.
So at 4AM you eat enough food to last you all day long? :D Fun stuff! Love the lantern.

ancientgirl
August 22nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Ramadan Kareem to you all as well.

The lantern is wonderful. Good luck with the fasting. That would be hard for me.

Marcha
August 22nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Ramadan Kareem, Onster!

onster
August 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Is it Byrd's husband? We haven't seen her for quite some time.
Ramadan Kareem.
So at 4AM you eat enough food to last you all day long? :D Fun stuff! Love the lantern.
Yes, he is muslim..but it wasn't him I was referring to. There was a female member way back when..but I think she stopped posting :shrug: But yes, we do miss you byrd :goodvibes: Thanks about the lantern, I love it. I couldnt wait to hang it up again...carried it all way thru the flights and transit (couldnt put it in luggage).

We usually have a sandwhich or something b4 dawn, its a bit hard to go from sleep to chowing down lol. We try to have something filling tho...for example, there is a traditional egyptian food, called fool which is basically a fava bean mash with spices and optional other things (u can put taheeni- sesame paste-, tomatoe, eggs whatever u want). Cheap, yummy ( when done right) and filling because of the fibre in the beans. I thought it may be an aquired taste but my canadian SIL and her brother loved it when they came over for breakfast one time. My SIL likes add honey or maple syrup to it so its more like western baked beans. When Im too tired to get up and eat I just have a glass of water and call it a night....then regret my decision the next day :p:o After u break ure fast u cant eat that much either cuz ure stomache was basically shut down all day and theres only so much u can eat it in one sitting. I'm hoping this will help the weightloss journey but God knows cuz there are some pretty crazily calorific scrumptious ramadan deserts *drool*. And why am I talking about food when im so hungry alreadY?? :crazy: but what really gets u is the thirst not the hunger I gotta say. Im gonna try to keep going to the gym during ramadan but ill sure miss my water during/after workouts.

Ramadan Kareem to you all as well.

The lantern is wonderful. Good luck with the fasting. That would be hard for me.

Thank you. Like i said its mainly the water that gets to u especially now with summer heat & longer days, but u get used to it.
Ramadan Kareem, Onster!

Thank you Marcha!

ancientgirl
August 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
That fava bean breakfast sounds yummy! I love beans. You're going to have to tell us about those desserts!

Okay, no more talking about food.:D

joeysmama
August 24th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Ramadan Kareem !!

Thank you for sharing your customs and the meaning behind them. I love learning about them.

I think you're a trouper to keep going to the gym. (I wouldn't do anything too aerobic though. That's just my 2 cents. If you aren't drinking anything you don't want to run the risk of getting dehydrated. Can you do hand held weights or the stair master at a slower pace or something?)

Yes I want to know about the desserts too. Ramadan is a full month? That must take a lot of discipline. I'd say you earned the dessert. :D

onster
August 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
That fava bean breakfast sounds yummy!
hmmm it is vegetarian so maybe u can try it ? :) The real way to make it u used dried fava and u soak them then cook them with some veggies etc but honestly, we dont do that anymore in Canada. Canned beans all the way. I like it kinda plain (without eggs/tahini), so I basically open a can of the fava beans into a small pot, mash it with a potato masher (or fork, whatever). You then add cumin (lots), salt, garlic (either minced or powder) and chili powder. When it heats thru you add oil (i like to add a small amount for diet reasons but my mom uses more than me) and finish off with half a lemon or so. that's it easy peasy. I dont know the exact measurements cuz I kinda just pour the spices into my hand and then dump in the pot :shrug: but I always taste it and add more of whatever spice. You can then eat it up with some sliced tomatoes/veggies and pita. Another thing I like to do is after it's cooked I mash some feta cheese in with my portion then eat it w pita. Feta is really good with it and lower calorie cheese..u can even use light feta. Sometimes when i have time, I sautee some onion before putting the beans in and cut up a tomatoe really fine and let it cook for a bit w the beans (it gives a more homemade feel to it). Oh and sometimes also garnish with parsely.
You're going to have to tell us about those desserts!

Omg Ive been resisting one of the yummy deserts for 3 days! My mom made a tray of kunafa....mmmmmm. I'm not sure how to describe it tho. You buy this shredded dough (kinda like a big jumble of angel hair pasta), which you soften with lota butter (mmm lol). Then you put a layer of that dough on the bottom of a dish then a layer of filling be it nuts like pistachios or cream/cheese then another layer of the dough. Bake in the oven till golden brown, drench is sugar syrup then drool :D

Ramadan Kareem !!

Thank you for sharing your customs and the meaning behind them. I love learning about them.

I think you're a trouper to keep going to the gym. (I wouldn't do anything too aerobic though. That's just my 2 cents. If you aren't drinking anything you don't want to run the risk of getting dehydrated. Can you do hand held weights or the stair master at a slower pace or something?)

Yes I want to know about the desserts too. Ramadan is a full month? That must take a lot of discipline. I'd say you earned the dessert. :D

Thanks joeysmama, its a pleasure to share. Had my first workout today, it was brutal. lol. It was strength training tho but I plan on during cardio after I break my fast. :thumbs up There are basketball players in the NBA whove played in the playoffs while fasting..so if they can do it, i can do an hour session ..thats what I keep telling myself:rolleyes:

Yep ramadan is a full month. I tasted my moms kunafa..it was heavenly. But I stopped there. Since Ive started working out and eating right Ive lost 22 pounds (as of my weigh in today :D:D)...sooo i really dont wanna mess that up.

onster
August 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I opened one of my middle eastern cookbooks AG and this is foul medammas (mashed), "simmered fava beans", according to them:

Serves 4-6
2 lb 3 oz canned fava beans
3 garlic cloves peeled
1/2 tsp salt
juice of 2 lemons (lemons in the mideast tend to be smaller tho like key limes)
3 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of Cumin (i use more than that)
2 tbsp chopped parsely and 1 medium chopped tomatoe, to garnish
Bread, to serve.

1/ Place the fava beans with their liquid ina pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.

2/ In a bowl crush the garlic with the salt. Mix in the lemon juice, olive oil, and cumin. Add this mixture to the beans.

3/ Transfer the beans to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped parsely and tomatoe. Serve warm or cold w bread.

:thumbs up I dunno if u'll like it but its a staple in Egyptian life. The poor eat it cuz they have to (cheap), the rich eat it cuz they like it.

onster
August 24th, 2009, 07:10 PM
While my books open...I think Byrd and had asked me for this recipe a long time ago :o But I dunno if I ever got round to sharing it. Anyway,

"Umm Ali" --> Cream and Nut Pastry.

Serves 6
12 1/2 oz puff pastry
34 fl oz (4.5 cups) milk
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup superfine sugar
3 oz (1/2 cup) raisins
2 oz (1/3 cup) pistachios
2 oz (1/3 cup) blanched almonds, slivered
2 oz (1/3 cup) pine nuts or chopped hazelnuts

1/ Preheat the oven to 375F. Roll out the pastry to fit a 12 x 8-inch oven-proof dish. Bake for 10 minuts, until crisp and lightly coloured. When cool enough to handle, crush the pastry in medium sized pieces.

2/ Comine the milk, cream, and sugar in a heavy pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Leave to cool.

3/ In a bowl, mix the pastry pieces with the raisins and nuts. Pour the milk mixture of the pastry mixture and leave to soak for 30 minutes. Bake in the oevn for 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.

This is a very traditional egyptian desert..its definately egyptian whereas a lot of the other deserts are shared accross the middle east/africa and greece. Umm Ali literally means mother (umm) of Ali. I dunno why its called that..perhaps umm ali invented it lol. Its very yummy..my bro's inlaws described it as a middleastern kind of bread pudding. Again its one of those things u can play with...the amount and kind of nuts etc. Also if u dont have puff pasty, u can fry up filo pastry (ive seen mom do that).

And ya other ramadan deserts include lo'met el adi (like the greek dolmades, fried dough balls drenched in syrup)...or the ever popular baklawa/ va. Also theres atayef..which is basically middle eastern style pancakes filled with cheese/nuts. fried and then drenched in sugar syrup. Sugar syrup, cheese, dough, nuts, those are the recurring themes in middle eastern deserts lol

ancientgirl
August 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I opened one of my middle eastern cookbooks AG and this is foul medammas (mashed), "simmer fava beans", according to them:

Serves 4-6
2 lb 3 oz canned fava beans
3 garlic cloves peeled
1/2 tsp salt
juice of 2 lemons (lemons in the mideast tend to be smaller tho like key limes)
3 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of Cumin (i use more than that)
2 tbsp chopped parsely and 1 medium chopped tomatoe, to garnish
Bread, to serve.

1/ Place the fava beans with their liquid ina pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.

2/ In a bowl crush the garlic with the salt. Mix in the lemon juice, olive oil, and cumin. Add this mixture to the beans.

3/ Transfer the beans to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped parsely and tomatoe. Serve warm or cold w bread.

:thumbs up I dunno if u'll like it but its a staple in Egyptian life. The poor eat it cuz they have to (cheap), the rich eat it cuz they like it.

Oh thanks! I'm going to print this out at work tomorrow. It's almost similar to what Cubans do with boiled green plantains. You take green plantains, boil them until a bit soft, then mash them and add garlic, onions, olive oil and a bit of salt. Some people add bacon.

onster
August 24th, 2009, 07:18 PM
ure very welcome. yeah i thought it might be something kinda familar to u. The green plantains sound yummy :thumbs up I noticed in that recipe they didnt use any heat (chilli or anything) but we always do in my house cuz we like it..im guessing you might too :shrug:. If you were inclinded to put tahini in, you just put a lil in at the end and mix it in.

onster
August 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM
you guys noticiing a pattern?? me talking bout food right b4 i break my fast lol.

One more hour :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
August 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM
For sure I'll put a bit of heat. LOL, I can imagine you must be starving!

luckypenny
August 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Ramadan Kareem Onster :).

The "foul medammas" recipe you posted sounds delicious :cloud9:. If I can get to a grocery store tomorrow, I think I'm gonna try it. I'll have to forgo the cumin :yuck: :o. I wonder if garam masala would work.

And congrats on the healthier lifestyle :thumbs up. That takes lots of perseverance.

Jim Hall
August 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
well im in the middle of it here in south paterson

i was wondering where onster is is there a large muslim community?

onster
August 24th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks LP :) It does take lotsa work, but I'm liking the results so I'm sticking to it :thumbs up I jut hope I dont get derailed with school.

I dunno bout the foul without the cumin, simply because i never tried it that way b4 lol. I'm sure you can experiment with it..one of the reasons you add cumin, not only for the flavor (which i gather u dont like :p) but because it helps you not get gas from the beans. When we stuff cabbage leaves we also use cumin for that reason.

JIm, there's quite a few muslim families here in waterloo/kitchener. We have a nice little comunity. The thing is too KW's muslims are mainly Indian/Pakistani. Nothing wrong with that of course, just saying they have different customs/traditions/foods etc than arab muslims. There is pretty much only one arabic store (for ingredients) and one arabic restaurant (egyptian). Tho I have to say I think that restaurant is gross :yuck::yuck: how they call themselves egyptian is beyond me :shrug: But I hope one day I can be in Egypt during ramadan, with all the fawanees (lanterns) and the ramadan tents and of course all the festivities for eid after...and extended family. In the old neighborhoods in Egypt there are still 'misaharati' men, who go around b4 dawn calling/ singing out to the people/kids by their names "wake up so and so", its time to have your 'suhoor' or early morning meal. Every night in Egypt youre pretty much not just eating with your family...you either have someone over or ure invited to be at someones place! Its a lot about togetherness too, in addition to the faith. Theres also 'mawa'ed il rahman', which are i guess tents or areas set up for all the less fortunate/poor to break their fast. All neighborhouds have them, paid for by those who have the money to do so.

Locally, our small mosque also feeds about 200 people a day during ramadan thru community help.

luckypenny
August 25th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I dunno bout the foul without the cumin, simply because i never tried it that way b4 lol. I'm sure you can experiment with it..one of the reasons you add cumin, not only for the flavor (which i gather u dont like :p) but because it helps you not get gas from the beans. When we stuff cabbage leaves we also use cumin for that reason.

Interesting...about the gas part :o. I love love love spices...just cumin and paprika for some reason, I can't handle :shrug:. Ah man, now I have a craving for stuffed cabbage :frustrated:.

In the old neighborhoods in Egypt there are still 'misaharati' men, who go around b4 dawn calling/ singing out to the people/kids by their names "wake up so and so", its time to have your 'suhoor' or early morning meal. Every night in Egypt youre pretty much not just eating with your family...you either have someone over or ure invited to be at someones place! Its a lot about togetherness too, in addition to the faith.

That's so cool! I love that many cultural traditions are still strong. When I used to visit family in Europe, I got to witness all sorts of things that my parents grew up with, especially traditions that the whole community was involved with. I haven't been back in 27 years although my parents visit regularly. They say it's all changed and that community "togetherness" is no longer strong :sad:.

Marcha
September 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Eid Mubarak! May your celebrations be filled with loved ones and joy!

onster
September 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks so much Marcha :thumbs up

I forgot about this thread :)

It's nice to eat again :D

Marcha
September 20th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Happy regular meals!

I spent 5 years of my first 12 years living in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia and Kuwait) and whether I want it or not (consciously and unconsciously), Islam plays a large part in my life. I have always had Muslim friends in my life too, even though I have lived in Europe and now North America ever since my time in the Middle East... I cannot imagine a life without Arabian influences. Iftar soups are my favourite soups, and Arabian cuisine is my favourite non-Western food (in fact, I prefer Middle-Eastern cooking over Western cooking). The complete sensuality (the balance of all the senses) of Arabian life still influences my idea of home, cooking, child-rearing and life in general. And Ramadan is something I observe in my own way (I cannot presume to be Muslim, but I have my own way of being with the month of Ramadan).

I hope that doesn't sound pretentious.

Jim Hall
September 21st, 2009, 12:02 AM
eid is the story of abraham am i correct?

Marcha
September 21st, 2009, 12:32 AM
eid is the story of abraham am i correct?

Eid means Feast or Festival.

Eid Al-Adha is the Festival or Feast of Sacrifice, which fetes the end of the annual pilgrimage to Mecca and commemorates the willingness of Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismael as an act of obedience to Allah.

In my case, I was wishing Onster (and any others who have observed the month of Ramadan) a happy Eid Al-Fitr, which is the Festival or Feast of Breaking Fast after Ramadan.

Eid Al-Fitr is sometimes referred to as the 'smaller Eid', whereas Eid Al-Adha is similarly referred to as the 'larger Eid'.

For both Feasts one can wish Eid Mubarak, which means 'blessed Festival' or 'may you enjoy a Blessed Feast'.