Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog is chewing his paws :(

Puppy Love
August 18th, 2004, 02:11 PM
hello everyone,
my Miniature Schnauzer mix, George is chewing his paws. He is about 1 1/2 year old and lately he is chewing a lot.
My neighbour lady has a schnauzer as well and she has a same problem.... is this normal for schnauzers? how can I stop him from chewing on his paws? I even thought about spry some bitter apple.

Puppy Love

SSAC
August 18th, 2004, 02:29 PM
mine too! Allergies, please see your vet, it's a Schnauzer thing

lezzpezz
August 18th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Here's an interesting website and it even mentions your breed of dog, schnauzer.
Maybe this will be helpful. The first thing I thought of was compulsive behaviour, but the article specifically mentioned schnauzers, so it could be an inherent trait with that breed.

Cheers,
Lezzerpezzer

Cactus Flower
August 18th, 2004, 02:31 PM
As long as your vet says bitter apple is ok and won't cause stomach upset. Might want to ask your vet about that, and also get the vet to check out the possiblity of allergies that might be making the dog's feet itch/react.

Have you changed dog food recently? Do you use anything on your carpet, like Carpet Fresh deodorizer or shampoos?

lezzpezz
August 18th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I guess it would be helpful if I actually pasted the website in for ya!
Here it is: http://www.2ndchance.info/pawlick.htm

Lezzerpezzer

Babybear
October 26th, 2008, 01:36 AM
It's not a breed specific problem. My Labs chew theirs too and they have webbed front paws. I use a holistic spray called Colloidal Silver and it works wonders. Use only on skin that is red, irritated and/or open. You can even use this on yourself. I use it on any cuts I get. It works wonders. The healing is so fast it's amazing. I also have a bottle of a weaker mix that I drink when I feel a cold coming on. Trust me, it works and it's totally safe and natural. My neurosurgeon gave it a thumbs up for me. I suffered a cerebral aneurysm 5 years ago with a chance of having another one because of vascular genes in my family. It has been 5 years, 5 days. I'm still alive..............guess it works