Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting Another Dog Tomorrow!!!

Chaser
August 22nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Well, actually we're just borrowing her. ;)

Meet Rocket, my co-worker's 6 y.o. Lab/Shep Mix. She'll be staying with us for the next few weeks while my co-worker's very small bungalow is full of relatives visiting from Ireland.

Rocket has a pretty sad story. She was adopted from the SPCA (not sure of her story prior to that) and last year her owners' daughter developed cancer. My co-worker offered to take care of Rocket for a little while just so the family would have one less thing to worry about. Well, their daughter is in remission, but they don't seem to want Rocket back. :sad: They've even talked about getting a rotti pup now! :wall:

My co-worker has decided to keep Rocket permanently, because the poor girl has now been rejected twice. This is truly a testament to her big heart, given that she already has a husky, a rescued chi/pug mix and two rescued cats in that little bungalow of hers. Taking care of three dogs on her own is a lot of work at times.

So we are very much looking forward to having our houseguest for the next little while. She's a real sweetie pie and just wants to be loved :lovestruck: She's come for two playdates and a sleepover to prepare for her visit and is already making herself at home. Chase and Kailey think she's pretty cool, and Rocket discovered the joy of the Cuz on her first visit. Now she runs straight for the toy basket as soon as she walks through the door :lovestruck:

Will post some more pictures throughout her stay with us! :)

mollywog
August 22nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
don't toy with our emotions like that, CM! I thought you were getting another dog for keeps! (or at least another "foster" :rolleyes: AKA forever dog) :laughing:
Rocket looks like a sweetie, :thumbs up good luck with the extended sleepover!! We expect lots of pics! :D

Chaser
August 22nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
don't toy with our emotions like that, CM! I thought you were getting another dog for keeps! (or at least another "foster" :rolleyes: AKA forever dog) :laughing:

Well after Rocket's visit we might actually :D DH-to-be is fed up with his childhood dog not receiving the amount of care a senior girl deserves at his parents house. He's fed up and seems to be leaning strongly towards bringing her here. Heidi is Rocket's identical twin - just add 4 years and grey fur.

We'll see what happens....but we just might have a third furry a month from now.

14+kitties
August 22nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Rocket looks like a real sweetheart. :cloud9: Thank you for being a great friend and helping out. Sounds like her mom has her hands full. We expect tons of pics while she is there.

hazelrunpack
August 22nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
She's an absolute doll! Look at that smile! :lovestruck: Your co-worker is an :angel:!!

And good luck with Heidi!! I hope that all works out! :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
August 22nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Oh wow, what a smile. It's getting to be a full house over there!:laughing: But in a good way, right?:thumbs up

Chaser
August 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
It's getting to be a full house over there!:laughing: But in a good way, right?:thumbs up

Definately in a good way! Only problem is if we take Heidi we'll be over our dog limit....so her "permanent" home will technically remain the same and we'll keep her licensed in her hometown. (Stupid stupid bylaws....they don't actually prevent hoarding and make rescuing much more difficult :frustrated:)

That smile is really something isn't it???? Rocket has a perma-grin when she's here, since our two are a lot more playful than her brothers at home. They're really laid-back and she has an energy level more on par with Kailey and Chase. I think she's gonna have a good time!

ancientgirl
August 22nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
You have a 3 pet limit or a 2 dog limit? Yeah, those bylaws are a pain. Here people can't have more than 4 dogs. :rolleyes: But like you said, hoarders don't seem to have an issue.

How is Rupert getting along with Rocket?

Chaser
August 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
You have a 3 pet limit or a 2 dog limit? Yeah, those bylaws are a pain. Here people can't have more than 4 dogs. :rolleyes: But like you said, hoarders don't seem to have an issue.

In our city it's 5 pets max., but no more than 2 can be dogs :frustrated: We will eventually have to buy a house in the country, because I want four dogs for sure! Plus fosters.

How is Rupert getting along with Rocket?

Rocket does her best to avoid him. One of the cats at her house is pretty mean and used to swat her on a regular basis, so Rocket tries to steer clear. Rupert being the cool dude that he is walks right up to her and tries to lick her face....she takes off pretty fast when that happens :laughing:

chico2
August 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Awww Rupert,such a good boy:lovestruck:
I am sorry Rockets other owners felt so little for him,that they are replacing him with a puppy:frustrated:
However,I think he got lucky getting to stay with someone who really cares:lovestruck:

Frenchy
August 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
awww Rocket is too cute ! We'll get more pictures right ??? :D

Chaser
August 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM
awww Rocket is too cute ! We'll get more pictures right ??? :D

Of course!

Rocket gets here in a couple hours!!!! :thumbs up