Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ahhh!!!

Akira
August 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM
"4 weeks old, pomeranian pups, 2 males 2 females, $375 each. Ready to go!"

:yell::yell::yell::yell:

FOUR WEEKS OLD?!

Their not even old enough to be wheening yet! They should just be starting on mushy food!

I just read that add in my local newspaper. What should I do?

babymomma
August 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM
NOT ONLY THAT, but a pom is a breed that should be left with its mama till 12 weeks of age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love4himies
August 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
4 weeks :wall::eek: :sad: That is just sad for the pups.

luckypenny
August 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM
That's the age pups become more work...probably why they want to get rid of them :wall:. The only thing you can do is try to educate. Explain 4 weeks is wayyyy too young to be separated from mom and littermates. Perhaps you can post the info with a link explaining it :shrug:?

http://dogs.about.com/od/newdog/f/leave_litter.htm

Also, from Before You Get Your Puppy, Dr. Ian Dunbar, 2001:

Eight weeks of age has long been accepted as the optimal
time to acquire a new pup. By eight weeks, sufficient dog-dog
socialization has taken place with mother and litter mates to
tide the puppy over until he is old enough to safely meet and
play with other dogs in puppy class and dog parks. Yet the
puppy is still young enough to form a strong bond with the
members of his new family.

Marcha
August 21st, 2009, 02:04 PM
let's hope it was a typo and that it should've read 14 weeks? Otherwise, is there some way to report them to a breeders organization or other animal well-being organization?

luckypenny
August 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM
let's hope it was a typo and that it should've read 14 weeks? Otherwise, is there some way to report them to a breeders organization or other animal well-being organization?

Good idea. I think a member mentioned somewhere that in many places, it's illegal to sell puppies before 8 weeks of age. Akira, perhaps you can contact the sellers and make a pretend arrangement to meet the pups...you can forward the ad as well as the address to an SPCA in your area?

Akira
August 21st, 2009, 02:16 PM
:lightbulb: Good idea luckypenny, i'll convince hubby to come with me when he gets home. Does anyone know if it is actualy illegal in ontario to sell a puppy at that age? I spoke with a woman from a shelter once who said if a dog/cat was ever in any kind of danger or anything like that you could legaly take them and bring them home and notify the police or local spca, or just take them to a shelter.. would this, technicaly, be a situation where you could do so? If they are outside I will take them If its the apropriate situation.

luckypenny
August 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Personally, I wouldn't actually go to the home...you never know what kind of people you're dealing with :shrug:. Simply take the address and ad to the SPCA and ask if they'll deal with it. DO NOT remove the puppies from their home, you can be charged with theft. In addition, if they're not well, you could unknowingly transmit disease to your own.

Akira
August 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
Ah, I didn't think about the disease thing. I highly doubt they've had shots let alone seen a vet. Thats a better idea, i'll just call and get the adress and contact the spca. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what the spca says.

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM
Unreal. Those poor little babies, being taken away from their mother so early.

Akira
August 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
I called the "collingwood spca" which is no longer that, its the "georgian bay animal rescue" gave to options, leave a message with ur name and number if you want to 1. make a donation, 2. lost your pet.. I left a message stating what I read in the paper with my name and number. Plus I emailed them quoting exactly what the add said, that if they remove the puppies I will foster them. I hope they do :D I've never taken care of puppies that small before. They'd be such cute little puff balls, and maybe they will actualy have a chance at a full, not mentaly interupted life.

Akira
August 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
They called the people acting as a potential buyer and the person selling the puppies said they weren't letting them go until 6 weeks. I guess thats better then 4, but still heartbreaking. They are having an OSPCA Investigator check things out as well to make sure living conditions and such are okay.

onster
August 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM
oh my those poor things :sad: 4 weeks is so very very young....even at 6 weeks I still think that's super young :sad: Lets jsut hope that the buyers are more educated :pray:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
At least at 6 weeks they have a chance. At 4 weeks they were going to have all kinds of health and behavior problems if they survived with their new owners.
Either way, even at 6 weeks separation anxiety is the least of the issues, and I have to think that there's a high probability of the new owners giving up the dogs when they have all kinds of training and separation anxiety issues.