Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopting a dog with demodex - should I be concerned?

Amarain
August 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM
I have the possibility to adopt an 8-month old pitty with demodex. He is on a 6-week treatment plan of Ivermectin injections and doing great. Is it a lifelong health issue? Do I risk having my other dog and cat catch it? Should I be worried about health issues related to demodex?

BenMax
August 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Did you find out what type of mange the pup has?

I have had now 3 dogs with demodex and there were no health issues to my other dogs or myself. Again - it depends which type.

Ask your vet as well about Advantage 55. This also helps alot. Some cases are more severe than others so it can go anywhere from 3 months to 6 months worth of treatment.

There are no long term affects and the pup should bounce back. In very severe cases, it takes time and the immune system fluctuates.

Good luck and don't let this condition scare you as it does resolve itself with the meds and the dog will live a long and normal life.

Amarain
August 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Thank you Benmax for reassuring me so fast... now I have to deal with the border issue and the transportation logistics, and talk with the foster to find out more. Here is Julius isn't he handsome!
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14285424

hazelrunpack
August 21st, 2009, 11:19 AM
We've had experience with demodex, too. It's not too uncommon in young dogs and generally, once cured, it doesn't recur. Your other animals won't catch it from the newbie.

The cases we've had experience with were probably due to stress, which can weaken the immune system. In our cases, the dog developed the demodex mange while between homes and in a totally different environment than what it had been used to--very stressful.

All the dogs recovered and there have been no relapses :thumbs up So I agree with BenMax--don't let demodex mange scare you off. And good luck with the new addition! :goodvibes:

BMDLuver
August 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM
You may have difficulty crossing the border if he has any open lesions whatsoever. He has to have been on treatment for minimum of 2 weeks and have signed vet records and health certificate from attending vet in Maine. Otherwise, you cross him over yourself and a personal dog has less difficulty getting through. Also, Rabies vacc signed in original ink.

Just some details as it is no fun getting stopped and turned back.

He is stunning!

Amarain
August 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
thanks BMDluver, indeed, I'll have to be there to make sure we both go through:) next mission: transportation - I don't drive! Nothing is easy, I have to have a pitbull's determination!

Amarain
September 1st, 2009, 03:37 PM
Well, I picked up Julius in Vermont Saturday and crossed the border with him very easily... They were interested in (1) seeing the paper attesting the rabies shots and (2) how much I paid for the dog, so that they could charge me taxes.

Julius is a healthy happy puppy apart from pinsized demodex spots on the forehead. I'll monitor and give hime some time to recuperate from no doubt a lot of stress but I believe he will be fine!

BenMax
September 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
Congrats on your new addition.:thumbs up

Talk to your vet about Advantage 55 for the demodex.

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Congratulations to both you and Julius, Amarain! Yay for his treatment going so well--and for the smooth border crossing, too! :thumbs up

oh...um...and you wouldn't happen to have any pics to share would you? :D